• ...and so much more!
  • RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    For some of us, we enjoy watching a new shooter press the trigger for the first time. It's a sort of 'high' we like to chase/relive through others.

When, and where did you shoot your first firearm?

Mine was in 1979 with a bolt action .22 at age 10, thanks to Niagara County, New York State Public Schools. Yup, that's correct. I owe my love of firearms to the state of New York.
    Part of graduating Elementary School (k-6) back then, was going on a week long field trip to a campground, and learning about nature, wildlife, shooting sports, etc... For all intents and purposes, it was a 'boy scout camp' of sorts, for both girls and boys. We each got a chance to shoot 10 rounds through a bolt action .22, after being thoroughly educated on what a firearm was capable of doing, and the safe operation/use of one.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    I don't remember. I'm sure it was a .22 of some sort. I do remember the first time I shot a shotgun at a pizza box...I thought I broke my shoulder from the recoil and my gpa just laughed at me. Pretty sure the pizza box died though.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    August 1st, 2009. At least, that's what the video I took says the date was.

My first gun, H&K40c. I ended up selling it a couple years back to an INGO member.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    Can't tell you my exact age other than it was definitely preteen. It was at my grandparent's house during a family gathering. We were shooting into the side of a hill. The gun was a Ruger single six. Even in my old age, I remember it like yesterday. Today I am now the proud owner of that old gun and it is still one of my favorite shooters.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    age 10, 1972, Hinsdale IL pm the property my family had in the forrest preserve we butted against. That was legal back then. It was a over/under 22/410 my father was loaned for the purpose. I fired a 50 cal BP rilfe that day too which actually knoched me down to everyone's amusement. :)

First handgun though was 16 and I bought myself (well Dad bought me_ a 9mm Star Super. That though was my second firearm owned, I got myself a Mossberg Palomino .22s-22L-22LR lever action rifle at a flea market for my entire life savings of $50. That I still have to this day. I still shoot it too. I sold the Star off though a while back. Shoulda kept it too. :(

trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    I don't remember my exact age but probably 8 or 9. My dad took us shooting on a regular basis( late '70s). 22 single bolt action, 22 revolver, and a 410. Loved it then, and still love it today. Now my grandson is almost 5 and I can't wait to get him started! I've already bought him a mossberg 505 .410 and soon a .22. I think I'm going to skip the bb gun thing.

Jomibe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2013
    Hendricks County
    1993, age 14. Ruger 10/22. I had just saved up the money from my first job and had my mom buy it for me. Went shooting with a guy from work. Fun times back then when .22 ammo was cheap!

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    As for an actual firearm: 22. LR semi-auto, in a 'cow pasture' (literally!) on a small farm in Illinois with Dad and his bestest buddy as Instructors at 6 years old.

BB and pellet guns, a couple years before.

Brian Ski

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    Not exactly sure, but think it was the time at my Grandfathers. My Dad brought out a H&R 22 revolver. I think I must have been about 10 or less. Early 70s. Kind of sad I think that was about the only time I went shooting with my Father. He passed away when I was about 18. Did do quite a bit of shooting with my step Father. I would have been in my 30s with him.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    My dad tells me that I was about 3 years old from a bench rest with a 10/22 my mom got them while they were dating. Shortly after he got me a bb gun he had to "cock" for me to use and I learned the rules of firearm safety with that... The first time I remember it being super special was when my dad bought me a marlin lever action at age 6. It was supposed to be for my 7th birthday but on the first day in the Spring it was nice outside he couldn't wait and he gave it to me early. I was the first boy and he could not wait by any means!

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    The first gun I shot was a High Standard, Sport King, .22 LR semi-automatic pistol. My Dad took me to the Fort Benjamin Harrison pistol range to teach me how to shoot. It was in the early 60's. I think I was 7 or 8. It wasn't too long after that first day with the .22 that I moved up to the model 19 S&W and finally a Colt 1911 .45 ACP. We spent a lot of evenings on that range.

ARRAY

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    Griffith
    it was the early 70's i was probably about 10 or 11, my parents used to go to my uncles in Lowell 1 time a month, my cousins and me were playing in the yard and went in the garage and behind the door were a couple 22 rifles and a couple old single shot shot shotguns, i don't remember any makes, but once i found the stash we spent the rest of the afternoon shooting pigeons and field mice in the cornfield next to my uncles house,i remember there were boxes of shells on my uncles bench in the garage we went through a lot of them that first day,from then i was hooked, when i turned 16 i bought my first 12 gauge new, well my neighbor paid for it with my money from my first paycheck from my job at key market grocery store in Hammond, god thinking back what good times. My neighbor took me to fetlas and paid for it for me. Had it till my house burned in 2009, it was still in pristine condition, i remember it was a country squire model, with a poly choke, i cherished that shotgun, it got cleaned once a week whether it was used or not, and it got a lot of use .God what great memories alright thats enough thinking back for now. i rambled enough

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Ugh... I don't remember the year but it was with dad and we went rabbit hunting.... I'm going to guess preteen but I truthfully can't remember.
    16ga. Winchester trench shotgun, Hold the trigger down and it would slam fire.

Top Bottom