First time Wild Hog Hunting, What do I need?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DThurston

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Shelby County
    Never having done it myself, it seems to me that a Mosin would be perfect. Not to mention that I like the idea taking a pest-like yet tasty animal with something as brutish as a Mosin.

Still, I'd like the idea of an AR or other semi in at least a .223 just to have the quicker follow-up option.

All that said - some kind of AAR will be required, you know that, right?

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    Hoping to do a hog hunt in the not so distant future. If Rock River ever ships my .458 SOCOM upper I plan on using it with handloads with 325 gr. Hornady FTX bullets. Should work quite nicely.:D

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    Here's my new hog blaster: This will be in Texas in a couple of weeks to make some bacon!

Be sure to let us know how your hunt goes, pics and all.

2011-04-17_15-28-46_363.jpg

dean2182

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    New Albany
    Light comfortable Boots-You could do a lot of running.Shot placement is real important. Its not the same place as a deer. The first one I shot ran 1/4 mile with its lungs gone.I now shoot behind the ear.
    Have Fun
    Send pictures
    dean2182

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Light comfortable Boots-You could do a lot of running.Shot placement is real important. Its not the same place as a deer. The first one I shot ran 1/4 mile with its lungs gone.I now shoot behind the ear.

Yes look at some hog hunting sites that list where to shoot at different angles. With a 243 you want to put em down fast as the fat can clog up the wound and leave little blood trail.

When i went we were in a swamp/creek bottom. A mosin or any long barreled gun would not have been very practical. Shots were going to be rather close and most likey the hog was going to be moving.

In the group we had a pistol hunter, a 45-70 guide gun, a 308 rem pump carbine, my lever action 44 mag and one guy with a croosbow. This was not riding in the back of a truck texas style. We were still hunting with a couple of people guarding the exit routes. WE all got pigs but a few were on the smaller size. We had them run from the still hunters out to the exit hunters and right back to us still hunters.

Don

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 17, 2008
    Greenfield
    .243 bolt gun, and a semi-auto side arm with about 4 spare mags incase the s hits the fan and they gang up on you and a ar15 would not hurt.

latigo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Bloomfield
    Thanks again to all, lots of good stuff. The fire ant tip is taken to heart but what do you use.

I spoke with the guy I am going with and he said some could be 400lbs +(the hogs not fire ants) and he told me about the ear shot placement also.

I plan on taking pics, I will post and let you all know how it goes

latigo

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Even on deer many believe the 243 is minimum caliber. I think it does much better than that myself. Shot placement being the key.

The way we were hunting them we posted two guys on the exits routes, Walked in the swamp water/creek slowly until we saw them. The first to take a pig was the guy with the crossbow. WEEE WEEE WEEE silence. Shot at 30 yards. I must admit that guy is a great still hunter. It was a medium size hog.

After the WEEE""S and a gun shot the hogs were running the area right and left. I was in heavy brush maybe 50 yards max shots and sometimes more like 50 feet. The second guy to score a pig was the hand gunner at like 15 feet.

I got mine on a tractor trail from one field to another. Distance was about 70 yards and this one area was about the only long shots that could have happened.

The only semi long shot came from the 308 from a tree stand on the exit routes. about 100 yards on the field edge. Mine was second longest and the rest were close up. The thick areas are what they prefer to be in.

I shot mine right in the front shoulders because i did not want to have to drag it out of the briar's on either side of the trail. HE still kicked with the back legs enough that I had to go in anyway with the front end destroyed. A leverevolution 44 mag round went thru the plates and was not recovered.

fxdwing

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    are firearm requirements different for hog hunting than for deer hunting...regarding regular rifle rounds ( ie. 270, 7mm, ect as i see they are illegal for deer hunting)?

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    are firearm requirements different for hog hunting than for deer hunting...regarding regular rifle rounds ( ie. 270, 7mm, ect as i see they are illegal for deer hunting)?

As they are a non native species and deemed as a varmint you could use practically anything. I am sure someone will be along with more accurate law citation.

Top Bottom