First time Wild Hog Hunting, What do I need?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    I use an AR15 in .223. I have Black Hills ammo with 55 grain Barnes TSX bullets. A shot to the neck absolutely flattens them. You can also make quick follow-up shots with an AR. I took 4 follow up shots on the first hog I killed, and all 4 hit home. That's what makes the AR so good.

It turned out that I did not need the follow up shots. The hog fell right where it stood, with its esophagus completely obliterated by the first shot. It couldn't even squeal or grunt.

latigo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Bloomfield
    Thanks everyone for the comments. I have a .243 Savage and a .44 Ruger carbine. I had a Ruger in 6.8 I wish I still had. Just found out it's North Carolina I'm going to not GA.

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    A sharp knife and a couple dogs.:yesway:

I agree with above. Leave the guns and bows at home.

There is no greater adrenaline rush than to kill one with your bare hands and a sharp knife.:rockwoot:

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Thanks everyone for the comments. I have a .243 Savage and a .44 Ruger carbine. I had a Ruger in 6.8 I wish I still had. Just found out it's North Carolina I'm going to not GA.

Between the two bolt actions, I'd take the 243 just in case you get a long shot. On something as tough as a hog, I'd look at the heaviest bullets in whatever caliber I used.

Are you planning on carrying a sidearm?

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    If I was crazy enough to go wild hog hunting, I think that I would take my Ruger Mini-30 and a Ruger Redhawk in .44 Magnum along with a big, sharp knife. My son who is a paramedic/fireman in the West Palm Beach fire department goes with his buddies with just dogs and knives. Last year when the extreme rescue unit volunteered to provide the meat for their Christmas dinner (in January), my son, since this was his first was sent after a smaller on weighing less than 150 lbs. He took a dog who knew what he was doing to harass the hog until my son knocked him off his feet and onto his back when he sliced through his aorta with his Gil Hibben Rambo III knife. The hog had some nice self-sharpening tusks on him. The second hog was about twice as big so they used two dogs and three firemen---two to hold it up like a wheelbarrow and the third guy to plunge the knife up into its chest from below.

I suppose a good 30.30 Marlin or .33 lever action might do the job also.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I get the macho part of the idea of killing a hog with a knife, but at some point we start walking a fine line between effectively killing something to eat it versus having dogs hold the pig down while someone sneaks in behind it with a knife. I saw Tred Barta episode where he killed a hog with a knife while the dogs held it down and it didn’t' really impress me. Looked to me like killing it by stabbing it was more to satisfy some psychotic itch that the person had to scratch.

As a hunter I feel like I owe it to the animal to provide a swift and reasonably dignified death. I'm not going to tell anyone else how to live their life, but I'm not into the knife thing to pad my ego.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I get the macho part of the idea of killing a hog with a knife, but at some point we start walking a fine line between effectively killing something to eat it versus having dogs hold the pig down while someone sneaks in behind it with a knife. I saw Tred Barta episode where he killed a hog with a knife while the dogs held it down and it didn’t' really impress me. Looked to me like killing it by stabbing it was more to satisfy some psychotic itch that the person had to scratch.

As a hunter I feel like I owe it to the animal to provide a swift and reasonably dignified death. I'm not going to tell anyone else how to live their life, but I'm not into the knife thing to pad my ego.
    +1:yesway:

huzyerdaddy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Hamilton County

+1 :twocents:

glouck

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2010
    Goshen
    Did a wild boar hunt last fall, you are gonna have a blast, pun intended. Took mine with a Marlin 336 .44 magnum. Snuck up on the group and shot him from 20 yards, dropped that 300 pounder in his tracks. I would suggest 12 gauge or 44 magnum round.

ChrisK1977

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    I have went several times with a bow but never a rifle. I had a 7mm mag that I would of love to take with me but now I am thinking my .308 encore pistol would really shine in a hog hunt.

Top Bottom