• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Oni7734

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Speedway
    I just got a tumbler (lyman auto-flow) which came with corncob media, so I decided to get started.

After researching what media people typically use and additives they used I decided to one batch with walnut from a pet store, and the other with the supplied corncob. With both I added about a cap full of Nu-Finish and a dryer sheet. Both batches ran about 3-4 hours. Below are the results...

Batch 1: Corncob - Notice the color of the dryer sheets and the contrast between new and used media. Brass turned out clean, but dull finish.
    232323232%7Ffp54389%3Enu%3D4686%3E279%3E634%3EWSNRCG%3D3637328775349nu0mrj

Batch 2: Crushed walnut - Not much contrast in New vs. Old - Dryer sheets look dirty, but not as drastic as the corncob sheet.
    232323232%7Ffp73492%3Enu%3D4686%3E279%3E634%3EWSNRCG%3D3637326%3A52349nu0mrj

This is a comparison between 2 random pieces that haven't been through the tumbler, 2 from corncob, 2 from walnut, and 2 that are also from walnut but didn't seem to get cleaned (wondering if these are just too old/tarnished to get the results as the others).
    232323232%7Ffp54386%3Enu%3D4686%3E279%3E634%3EWSNRCG%3D3637328774349nu0mrj

I was going to deprime, wash/dry (to clean primer pockets), trim (if needed) and reload these next.

Thoughts, suggestions, something I missed?

Also, please excuse my walnut mess... If you're using an Auto-Flo, remember to put the plug back in before starting another batch.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I have always used corn cob media and Flitz at the rate suggested on the bottle. I get super clean and shiny brass in around 2 hours max all the time. Even the super tarnished stuff will clean up but it will still look funky. I sort of like the look myself but it isn't something I am going to tarnish stuff to get. ;) I use a Lee Primer Pocket scraper to clean the pockets rather than water & soap, that works great and I can load immediately after doing it. I've never tried walnut, I guess this is due to my not knowing what the advantage it has over cob media. When I was still out in the middle of nowhere, I used to crush my own but now I buy it.

I have tried other additives but FLITZ seems to be the best of them for me. I am able to use the cob until it is BLACK and still get the brass shiny and clean.
    That and it speeds the process up remarkably over the other products.

The only other product I use is Simple Green and that is when I use my rotary tumbler, wet process with stainless media. I make a solution of 10:1 SimpleGreen:Water and fill the tank with brass and Stainless pellets and put it on my roller and let it spin for a few hours and it comes out nice and clean. I do this for my Black Powder Cartridges because tumbling makes them get odd colored from the reaction with the FLITZ & the sulfur residues.

Toolepqk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.3%
    52   2   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    I use a 50/50 mix of crushed walnut and corncob. The corncob by itself works well but leaves a dull finish. Crushed walnut by itself doesn't clean well but polishes. With a mix I get clean shiny brass that looks new.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    What is Walnut supposed to be best at anyway? Do you use it when your brass is extra dirty or what?
    The main reason I've never used the stuff is that I don't know what it might do that is better than the crushed corn cob and Flitz I use now.
    I am one of those folks who love to try new things.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    First of all, excellent post, Oni7734...you just got rep'd! :)

The pictures do a great job of illustrating the basic difference between corn cob and walnut media. Corn cob "cleans" and walnut "polishes", with both doing enough of the other to result in cases that are perfectly suitable for reloading. For my purposes, 30-60 minutes in either type of media is sufficient: I could not care less how "shiny" brass is before I reload it, I just want it to be clean.

As for primer pockets, you can do as little (nothing) or as much (sonic/wet cleaning) as you want. It makes absolutely no difference whatsoever on the accuracy of your rounds or the longevity of your brass. The only thing you really want to do is ensure the flash hole (vent) is clear of any debris, including brass flashing that may be present on virgin brass. I haven't actually "cleaned" a primer pocket in I don't know how long. The most I will do, these days, is if I've trimmed some cases and I'm using my RCBS Case Prep station to chamfer/deburr, I will sometimes give the primer pockets a second or two on the spinning wire bristles. It is a completely extraneous effort, but something I do sometimes, if I've already got the machine running.

One other thing I sometimes do is use steel wool on the neck and shoulder of cases that I need to trim. Since they are already chucked up in the cordless drill, I take a couple of seconds to polish those areas, making it much easier to see any pending splits.

Of the 4 sets of cases shown in the OP, the 2 sets in the center are both great, the ones on the left look fine to me, and the only two pieces I would have done anything with are the two on the right. I'd tumble them for an hour or less, resize them, check for length, trim if needed, (using steel wool, if so) and then another ~15 minutes in the tumbler to remove case lube before priming, charging and seating. YMMV.

If any mods are watching, the first post in this thread is absolutely worthy of a "Sticky", IMHO.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I agree with Broom, it does answer a number of questions I have had for thirty plus years. I still don't really think walnut does anything that corncob doesn't do better, at least for me. When I firt started, I didn't even clean my cases, I thought it wasn't needed, then I took a look at my dies after a few years and realized it was something I should be doing. I was constantly cleaning the insides of the dies and they had started showing signs of wear and they shouldn't be showing that even now. So I decided I did want the cases shiny so I use the Flitz to get them that last bit and it gets them thee quickly as well.

The only primer pockets I clean are ones that look like they might be dirty enough to prevent me to easily seat a new primer. Sometimes there is more carbon in there than I am comfortable seeing. I don't make them shiny though, I just scrape off the carbon a bit. Flash holes are always inspected and cleared if needed. After all, if t is blocked, my work is meaningless sine the round won't go off.

I agree that this shold become a sticky. Rep inbound!

Electronrider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    White County
    I run all of my raw brass through the tumbler with lizard litter ( walnut media) with some polish put in for good measure, as well as a dryer sheet cut up into 1-2 inch squares. I the process the brass completely. Once my brass is ready for loading, I run it through corn cob with some polish added, to clean off any lube or shavings, and to give my brass a nice polished shine.

ETA: I also put a decapping die in station 1 of my progressive when I am loading, just in case a piece of media gets stuck in the flash hole.

Shiny brass, as we all know, is absolutely critical to getting better accuracy. When they shine, they are happy, and happy cartridges work better.:D

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    I've been tumbling cases for a few decades now. I used rice, corn cob, walnut, and other grains as media.

I take issue with walnut being a polishing media, its a cleaning media, its surface is such that it cleans and does not polish to a high jewlery shine. But what do I know, only been doing this for over 20 years.

However corn cob does in fact polish, it also cleans, just takes longer. I use a grit of corn cob 20/40 grit available from Grainager or their retail/mailorder outlet DrillSpot. From DrillSpot it comes directly to my door freight free for approx 80 cents a lb, and being light weight which corn cob is you get a lot of media in the 40 lb bag.

I use auto polish cleaner wax, many like Nu-Finish but actually most any will work just as well. The added benifit is the polish retards tarnish during storage. Something the polishes made only for tumbling brass cases fails to do.

One of the big secreats using an auto polish is a capfull/teaspoon is plenty for many many tumbler fulls. Adding more additive only increases the dust problem and coats the media itself hindering the cleaning/polishing action.

Econoline 526040G-40 Blast Media, 40 Lbs, Corn Cob, 20/40 Grit

Above is the link for DrillSpot.

Forgot to mention, if you do in fact get and use the 20/40 you will NO LONGER have the problem with media getting clogged in the primer pockets or in the flash holes, it will flow right thru. Win win all the way around.

Last edited:

mac45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2008
    Thanks for the link. Gonna have to try that 20/40.
    Switched to an ultrasonic cleaner last year, so all I use the tumbler for is cleaning lube off sized rifle cases. Be nice to not have to run 'em thru the deprimer again.

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    For the last 15 years or so, I have used 20/40 for all my tumbling needs in my rotary machine. If I have some really tarnished range pickup cases, I used a container of very dirty cobs that I don't use any more for polishing mixed with a level teaspoon of Bar Keeps Friend. A fresh batch of media will put a final polish on the cases that make so clean and shiny that they are slick on the surface.

12bee

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I have some corncob media treated with tripoli, and some with rouge. The tripoli cuts the tarnish pretty good and the rouge gives a pretty good shine.

kwatters

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I've been tumbling cases for a few decades now. I used rice, corn cob, walnut, and other grains as media.

I take issue with walnut being a polishing media, its a cleaning media, its surface is such that it cleans and does not polish to a high jewlery shine. But what do I know, only been doing this for over 20 years.

However corn cob does in fact polish, it also cleans, just takes longer. I use a grit of corn cob 20/40 grit available from Grainager or their retail/mailorder outlet DrillSpot. From DrillSpot it comes directly to my door freight free for approx 80 cents a lb, and being light weight which corn cob is you get a lot of media in the 40 lb bag.

I use auto polish cleaner wax, many like Nu-Finish but actually most any will work just as well. The added benifit is the polish retards tarnish during storage. Something the polishes made only for tumbling brass cases fails to do.

One of the big secreats using an auto polish is a capfull/teaspoon is plenty for many many tumbler fulls. Adding more additive only increases the dust problem and coats the media itself hindering the cleaning/polishing action.

Econoline 526040G-40 Blast Media, 40 Lbs, Corn Cob, 20/40 Grit

Above is the link for DrillSpot.

Forgot to mention, if you do in fact get and use the 20/40 you will NO LONGER have the problem with media getting clogged in the primer pockets or in the flash holes, it will flow right thru. Win win all the way around.

I would agree with this. The tarnished cases on the right, take them and put them in walnut for about 6 hours and they will come out clean but very dull looking. Put them in Corncob for a few hours with Nu-Finish after the Walnut treatment and they will shine right up.

huntsville

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Brownsburg
    Granted I just started tumbling brass a few months ago, but I use a wet tumbler with stainless steel media, dishwashing liquid and lemi-shine. No dust and they all look awesome after a little over an hours worth of tumbling.

Last edited:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I use and really like the Lyman treated corn cob media. I run mine for about four hours, and my brass comes out looking nice. I'm really not concerend if it looks shiny, as it does not affect anything at all. A dryer sheet does help keep the media cleaner, and I get more use out of it as well.

Steve B

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    KEWANNA
    Has anyone tried spraying Static Guard on their tumbler and sifter? With the air being so dry lately static has been a real pain. The dryer sheets help keep the media clean but not with the static.

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    Has anyone tried stainless steel media in a rotary tumbler?

Read a little about it on the Kramer co web site, their claim is cleaning dirty brass in about 1/4 the time.

Top Bottom