• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99%
    95   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Sometimes it's pure attitude, but many times it's ignorance. I'd gladly show my LTCH in hopes of educating the guy.

Unless he came at me with too much attitude... Can't really teach those kind of people much.

Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    I'd gladly show my LTCH in hopes of educating the guy.

You have more patience than I do. About a year ago, I had a gas station attendant see my firearm and asked, "Do you have a permit for that?" When I replied that I did, he says, "Show it to me." I said "Nope." He then asked why I felt I needed to carry a gun around with me as if this was the "Wild West." I then said "For self-protection." He says, "From what? In this day and age, I have the right to ask because you never know who might be the bad guy."

By this time I had finished paying for my purchases so I said, "None of your business. Goodbye." I could tell right off the bat this guy had a little bit of an attitude so I wasn't going to say much. Even in the cases where people are friendly and curious, I usually don't say much more than this. A police officer asking questions is one thing. This was a private citizen letting his personal opinions cloud his judgement when it came to a legal activity that was none of his business.

I have been open carrying since 2014 and the amount of people asking questions have been very few in number. In fact, this guy was the only one who had an attitude. I have actually had more opportunities to encourage others in carrying their own weapons or even educate a few people on how to obtain their LTCH. While this wasn't my primary reason to open carry, I am glad to have had the opportunity.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    You have more patience than I do. About a year ago, I had a gas station attendant see my firearm and asked, "Do you have a permit for that?" When I replied that I did, he says, "Show it to me." I said "Nope." He then asked why I felt I needed to carry a gun around with me as if this was the "Wild West." I then said "For self-protection." He says, "From what? In this day and age, I have the right to ask because you never know who might be the bad guy."

By this time I had finished paying for my purchases so I said, "None of your business. Goodbye." I could tell right off the bat this guy had a little bit of an attitude so I wasn't going to say much. Even in the cases where people are friendly and curious, I usually don't say much more than this. A police officer asking questions is one thing. This was a private citizen letting his personal opinions cloud his judgement when it came to a legal activity that was none of his business.

I have been open carrying since 2014 and the amount of people asking questions have been very few in number. In fact, this guy was the only one who had an attitude. I have actually had more opportunities to encourage others in carrying their own weapons or even educate a few people on how to obtain their LTCH. While this wasn't my primary reason to open carry, I am glad to have had the opportunity.

Guy tells me this my reply would be "I have the right to carry because you never know who might be the bad guy."

I ask people if they've bothered to read the newspaper, or watch TV.
    Plenty of people being hurt, going about their business. They expected to not be attacked/hurt, yet they were.

Cree

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 28, 2016
    Lafayette
    SOOOO much easier to carry concealed and avoid the attention. It is your right for sure to open carry, but there is a lot of reasons to not do so.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Guy tells me this my reply would be "I have the right to carry because you never know who might be the bad guy."

My reply likely would have been, "Well, since you're confronting me, you're clearly not afraid of me. So, obviously, you don't think I'm a bad guy. Have a nice day."

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99%
    95   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Don't understand how people could harass you over something they cannot see:dunno:

They can't. That's a big reason why I normally CC. However, sometimes I like to look nice, and have my shirt tucked in, so the gun is out for all to see. If people wouldn't freak out about it, I'd OC all the time. I practice, but don't like the fact that I could stumble with my cover garment at the wrong time. I don't feel like I'm a target for the bad guys if I OC, but I do sometimes feel like I'm a target for the anti crowd if I do.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    You folk are in the wrong thread your opinion of how others should act is welcome in the https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/carry-issues-self-defense/71996-open-carry-argument.html thread.

It is not for you or me to tell anyone else how to carry. Many of us OC and discuss what to do when confronted. If you have something to add to this discussion, beside turning into a lefty do as I say thread, feel welcome to contribute. Otherwise please take your anti-OC opinions elsewhere.

As for the OP it is your choice whether you engage with an anti or not. You are not required by law to carry Your LTCH. You are not required by law to present your DL if you are nor driving. You are required to identify yourself to sworn authorities (some will disagree). From your name and address a sworn authority can determine your status.

It would be helpful if you familiarize yourself with which companies corporate policies follow state law pertaining to carry. To mention a few Kroger, Menard's, Lows, Home Depot, McDonald's Honor state law, whereas Statbuck's and Target do not.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Pointing out the issues with OC is not being anti-OC, unless one is overly defensive about the matter.

I don't care how someone carries. But this is the internet. If you post something, someone will disagree and/or parody it.

If you don't want that to happen, don't post.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    So I've been open carrying for about 4 months. I've been a bit worried over a confrontation in public, but as it turns out it wasn't anything to worry about. I stopped at the Kroger on Ireland in South Bend last night where I picked up two items. I went to the self checkout where I was confronted by the store security guard, a Securitas employee. He insisted that I show him my LTCH. My immediate response was to tell him that he wasn't a LEO and that I didn't need to show it to him, but he replied that he was a security guard and I should show it to him anyway. I decided to show it to him to diffuse the situation and I explained that I open carry because I want to have the fastest draw I can get if I need it. He said something about making sure I was a proper person but it was pretty clear from his demeanor that he was hostile to guns altogether. After he walked away, the self checkout cashier told me that if something ever went down she was hiding behind me! We had a nice conversation. Now, how could I have handled the rent-a-cop better?

I was at the Kroger, in Speedway, in civilian clothes, OC, as I usually do .....

I OC, a LOT more, since joining INGO, than I used to .....

Anyway, as I walked to the door, this Securatas guy, in his car,

says HEY, you know, thats illegal, and I said what ?????

He points to my handgun, and says that !!!!!

I said Indiana issues a LTCH, NOT a CCW, and

In., is SILENT on how you carry .....

I then told him, if he was going to run his mouth,

at LAW ABIDING citizens, he might want to

listen to Guy Relford, on WIBC 93.1 on Sat.,

afternoon, between 5pm and 7 pm .....

I then told him he would know what he was talking about,

and wouldn't look like such a jacka$$, when he was talking to someone who knows more that he does .....

Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    It would be helpful if you familiarize yourself with which companies corporate policies follow state law pertaining to carry. To mention a few Kroger, Menard's, Lows, Home Depot, McDonald's Honor state law, whereas Statbuck's and Target do not.

Why do you say that about Target and Starbucks? If you take a hard look at Starbuck's and Target's comments on guns in their stores, they as a company ask their patrons to disarm before coming in. HOWEVER, neither company has a corporate policy banning guns and they will follow the state laws in which they do business. So, in INDIANA I carry both ways in Target and have never had a problem with customers or store personnel. However, open carry is illegal in California and therefore not allowed in Starbucks and Target. Target was pressured by MDA into making a statement on guns. Starbucks had to do it because they were caught in the middle of the open carry debate. By doing so, though, the statements from both companies was cleverly worded to try and placate both sides of the debate.

This is different from antigun Whole Foods and other companies like Walmart, Meijer, Menards, and Home Depot who are choosing not to make a statement at all. I just don't think it is fair to lump Target and Starbucks in with Whole Foods just because both companies tried to make either side happy. While I would have preferred they not make a statement other than "We will follow state laws in the places we do business," I don't see them as being hostile to my 2nd Amendment rights.

Last edited:

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    You folk are in the wrong thread your opinion of how others should act is welcome in the https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/carry-issues-self-defense/71996-open-carry-argument.html thread.

It is not for you or me to tell anyone else how to carry. Many of us OC and discuss what to do when confronted. If you have something to add to this discussion, beside turning into a lefty do as I say thread, feel welcome to contribute. Otherwise please take your anti-OC opinions elsewhere.

az9j6p.jpg

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    If you ask me to disarm "I" consider you anti-gun. Full stop.

Go ahead and muck up any thread you want.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon

In what way to Starbucks and Target not honor state law?

"Dear Customer" letters have no legal statutory meaning, and do not compel customers to act in any given manner. As far as I know, neither establishment even puts up statutorily meaningless "no beretta" signs.

Top Bottom