• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • catielynnb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    Louisville
    Give a girl a break I'm just starting to look for my first rifle. I've only handled a few so I'm a bit more than a slight bit lost when it comes to this.

So, opinions, suggestions and anything with pictures is welcome. However, what I really want is why you would pick the one you suggested and if you have it, what you really like and really don't like about it.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    If you're looking to get the basics down with a rifle, I'm guessing most will suggest a .22. The majority will probably suggest a Ruger 10/22. Pretty reasonable price and tons of options if you want to customize it later on. I don't personally own one but I've shot one quite a bit (first rifle I ever shot). Ammo is cheap.

Everyone should have at least one .22.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    CZ 452 Scout. It has what rifles are about, triggers, sights, and easy of manipulation.

The rifle is light, features an optimal LOP (short), .22lr (cheap to shoot and no recoil) and is easy to maintain and care for.

If you buy it, slick the bolt, install sling posts (I have the CW system on mine). You can buy 5 and 10 round mags.

On the 452 Scout you can more easily learn trigger manipulation and bolt manipulation. It makes an excellent starter rifle.

CZ_452-2E_ZKM_SCOUT.png

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    I would suggest getting a 22. The ammo is cheap and you can shoot it all day without getting a sore shoulder. Some good starters are Marlin Model 60...Tube fed and can be had for about $140, Marlin 795....Magazine fed about $130 as well as the Mossberg 702 Plinkster for about the same $. Most will say the Ruger 10/22....Magazine fed and you can customize them to your hearts content, base model is about $200. All are more than accurate for general plinking. I have more fun shooting 22's than anything else. Buy one, some bulk ammo and you are set for all day fun.

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    I'd suggest something in .22 RF as the 1st rifle for anyone. Achieving true competance with any type of weapon requires much practice, and the .22 RF is, IMHO, the single most cost-effective cartridge for the job.

My personal choice for novices of most any age would be a manual action of some sort: bolt, lever or pump. IMHO and ME, this tends to encourage and reinforce better concentration on mastering the fundamental skills of Marksmanship than an autoloader does, as they require that the shooter pause to perform a deliberate sequence of actions before firing again.

Others' opinions will no doubt vary, but this has worked well for me personally and it seems to have done the same for most, if not all, of the folks I've introduced to the shooting sports over the last few decades.

As a Certified Geezer, I tend to like the pumps and LAs best.:D I'd suggest seeing if you can arrange a range trip or two with friends or family where you can try a few of the available options out before making your purchase. A quality-made .22 RF rifle is always a Good Thing to have and, with a little care, will give you a lifetime of enjoyment and service.

yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Take advice from another engineer. If you live in Ky. You should be on at least your 5th rifle by now.:laugh:

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    You definitely want a firearm designed to be fired from the shoulder, using two hands, and having a barrel at least 16" long. The rifle itself, should have an overall length of 26".

It should fire a solid projectile, and the barrel should have some system of lands and grooves, designed to impart a rotation on the projectile.

jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    marlin 795 is a good one to start with (my first rifle was a smith and wesson m&p ar15, but that was because i shot one, loved it and had to have it.)
    the marlin is inexpensive, ammunition is cheap. and it is quite accurate. probably the best fun for the money i have spend on firearms to date. thinking about buying a second one so i can have one with a scope for distance shooting and one with irons for plinking pop cans.

jackadew

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Washington Co.
    Some good suggestions so far. I would suggest the Ruger 10/22 also. It is a .22 rimfire cheap to shoot, you can buy ammo anywhere, doesn't kick or make to much noise. And most ladies find it to be the rite size, not to small and not to big and heavy. Alot of rifles are made in youth and adult size, but alot of ladies find they need something inbetween. Don't know what you plan to use it for, but a .22 will let you learn all the skills you need to shoot anykind of longgun. Being in Mt.Washington(i have friends there and Shepardsville) you could drive down to Knob Creek Gun Range. They have many different rifles and you can even rent and shoot one before you make your decision. Good Luck & let us know how it turns out:)

catielynnb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    Louisville
    Are you looking for a defense rifle or a hunting rifle? This would narrow the field quite a bit.

Defense. I'm not a hunter and I don't plan on taking that up as a hobby anytime soon.

Maybe a stab in the dark at caliber, while you're at it?

Not a clue. Is why I started with a generic question because I know almost zero about them in general.

Take advice from another engineer. If you live in Ky. You should be on at least your 5th rifle by now.:laugh:

You get reps for that. XD

You could drive down to Knob Creek Gun Range. They have many different rifles and you can even rent and shoot one before you make your decision.

Already in the plans. I just don't know what to even try, or consider trying.

I started my wife on the AK47 and she loves it!

That was the second one I shot. I loved it too. However, I'm not sure that's a good starter.... I could be wrong though.

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    Ruger 10/22. Easy to use, reliable, easy to get parts and accessories.

If you want something of a larger caliber, I suggest an AK47. They're easy to use, reliable, easy to get parts and accessories. Easy to clean, they don't require any special cotton swabs or q-tips (who cleans an AK? ok, ok, i do.). It's easy to understand how they operate. You probably won't win a marksmanship contest with one, but they're fun to shoot and a reliable arm for SHTF.

Of course, all of those positive features also make it the preferred weapon of third-world illiterates and child soldiers.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Unless you have specific purpose in mind... +1 to the Ruger 10/22 for just overall fun and value.

If you need it for sweeping the "Holler" for Meth Heads or Zombies... you might want something larger. AR-15 perhaps?

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Defense. I'm not a hunter and I don't plan on taking that up as a hobby anytime soon.

.30 Carbine, if there's a "funner" gun to shoot or one that's better for home defense, I'll eat it.

M1_Carbine.jpg

SKS if you can handle more recoil.

images

If you need something inexpensive, try a pistol caliber carbine, like the High Point in 9mm...

images

Or a rifle cartridge that is still inexpensive and easy on the recoil... the Kel-Tec SU-16. I've had some ladies shoot mine and they all love it.

keltec_SU-16B.jpg

Last edited:

spitfire51

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    For a first rifle I'll ditto the .22 rimfire recommendation. Either a Ruger 10/22 or a Marlin 795 will do just fine to start. The Marlin will probably be a little cheaper, has a very nice trigger, and an easier-to-use bolt release. The Ruger can be customized to your heart's content.

Whatever you get, come join us at an Appleseed sometime and we'll help you improve your shooting with it

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    If I still lived in KY, and I was getting my wife a rifle, it would be a youth model 243. In KY, you can use this caliber for deer as well as varmints. If it was a little of both, for defense as well as general useage, I'd go with a 20g youth shotgun, with availability of switching out barrels. You could still do a multiple of things with both a vent rib, and a deer barrel. The Mossberg 817 is a nice little rifle to plink with, and the 17 ammo is reasonably inexpensive.

Then again, just get a 22. :)

Cpl. Klinger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    The 4077th
    I'd say split the difference and get a .22 for practice and something like a H&R .44 break action rifle for the real deal. My wife got me one for Christmas and she loves it. Now that I have the 870, she's pretty much claimed it as her own. And it's a nice size for her too (she's 5'4").

Top Bottom