• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jtull01

Plinker
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    NWI
    OK, well Ive gone and done it! I have successfully started to reload. I started with 9mm. here are my results.
    I used miscellaneous brass
    Primed with Winchester small pistol
    Accurate #5 Powder
    115gr Berry’s RNDS Copper Plated.
    5.7 grains of powder. groupings were 1 1/2 to 2” and it failed to cycle once out of 16 rounds in my Ruger SR9C.
    6.1grains of powder, groupings were very tight and on target. cycled perfectly.
    17 rounds.
    6.5grains of powder (max recommended) a lot of increased recoil, groupings opened up to about 2”
    All ammunition fired at approximately 25feet.
    Compared to S&B 115grain factory loaded ammo. Groups were 2” or so.

All in all, I have to say the 6.1 grain loads were impressive.

I’m sure it has been explained before, but why is hand loaded ammunition so much more accurate than factory loads?

Guess I’ll load up some more 6.1 grain, or should I try 6.0 or?

Besides a cost savings, reloading has given me a great sense of satisfaction and a better understanding of ammunition.

Regards to everyone
    :ingo::ar15:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Consistency is the key. Also, there are so many different powders on the market. Powder A may work with bullet A, and vise versa. Charge A may work better then Charge B, etc. It's about finding that happy medium. My reloads are more accurate then any of the cheap (relative) plinking ammo on the market. IE: Federal Champion, Blazer, etc.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Congrats!

I hope to be joining the ranks of reloaders in 2012. What kind of press do you have?

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I will be reloading within the month and will be using a lyman t mag turret. I like it because I can work it like a single stage, or run it like a turret. AND I don't have to worry about the silly auto index breaking like on a lee turret.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    When it comes to pistol ammunition, a load that functions well is probably more important than accuracy. Find that load and tweak by one tenth of a grain at a time, but don't be too consumed with finding incredible accuracy. As you've already noted, just by working up loads specifically for your gun, using good quality bullets, you have better accuracy than you often get from factory ammo. What's more, you can put together a lot of those loads for the same amount of money. Maybe that means you just shoot more, shoot more often, or maybe it means you put some away for a rainy day, but it's all under your control. No more going to Wally World, hoping they have some ammo on the shelf. ;)

Congrats on your first successful loads! I hope you have a lifetime of creating better loads for less by doing it yourself. :D

jtull01

Plinker
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    NWI
    For those who asked I’m using a Hornady Lock’n’Load AP. I started with Lee single stage units, and use one to de-cap before I clean my brass.
    Dies are Lee and Hornady.
    On to tweaking my loads.

Load-on fellow INGO loaders,
    And SAFE shooting to all!

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Now you've done it...

I find myself shooting so I can reload, and reloading so I can shoot... :ar15:

It's a vicious cycle, but there is great fun and satisfaction to be had, as I am sure you are finding. I have been reloading for about six years now, and even started casting my own.

Enjoy and be safe.

Sling

Sarrsipius

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012
    North side of Indy
    I was looking at picking up some Berry's plated bullets but I have a question. I use #5 powder as well and their load data only lists BRY RNDS for 115gr bullets. It lists BRY RN for 124gr. When I go to Berry's website I can't find anything they call "double stamped" which is what the accurate load data says the DS stands for (Round Nose Double Stamped). Is there a difference between the Berry's 115gr RN and the 115gr RNDS listed in the load data?

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Is there a difference between the Berry's 115gr RN and the 115gr RNDS listed in

No, there is no difference in the load data.
    DS stands for "Double Struck". This is the process of running the bullet two times through the plating process to make for more perfect uniformity. DS bullets are in several models of the Berry's line, and usually are a little higher $ than the standard models.

As long as you are the same weight range, use the data that you have..Bill.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    JTull, looks like you have found your load for that weight and powder. Now you can either stay with that one or experiment with other weights and powders. If you are anything like most of us, the curriosity will get the best of you.

Double T, that T Mag is a beast ain't she. I had a Hornady LnLAP for a few years, never did get used to the auto indexing thing. I may try a progressive again someday down the road but it will be manual indexing.

Sarrsipius

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012
    North side of Indy
    My mistake. It is double struck. But, there are no 115gr bullets that are labled as double struck on the Berry's website (at least I couldn't find them). There is no 115gr RN data for the powder. So I'm still curious why the load data (which they say was compiled with the help of Berry's) is for RNDS when there appears to be no 115gr RNDS bullets for sale from Berry's. And also, can you use the RNDS data with the 115gr RN bullets that Berry's sells??? Hmmmm.:n00b:

No, there is no difference in the load data.
    DS stands for "Double Struck". This is the process of running the bullet two times through the plating process to make for more perfect uniformity. DS bullets are in several models of the Berry's line, and usually are a little higher $ than the standard models.

As long as you are the same weight range, use the data that you have..Bill.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    My mistake. It is double struck. But, there are no 115gr bullets that are labled as double struck on the Berry's website (at least I couldn't find them). There is no 115gr RN data for the powder. So I'm still curious why the load data (which they say was compiled with the help of Berry's) is for RNDS when there appears to be no 115gr RNDS bullets for sale from Berry's. And also, can you use the RNDS data with the 115gr RN bullets that Berry's sells??? Hmmmm.:n00b:

The only time I used plated bullets, the mfg said to use lead bullet data.

Sarrsipius

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012
    North side of Indy
    The only time I used plated bullets, the mfg said to use lead bullet data.

Normally I would agree but Accurate has gone to all the trouble of working with Berry's Bullets to get accurate load data specific to their plated bullets. But then the data they publish is for bullets that don't match up with what is for sale at Berry's. :dunno: I just figure I must be missing something. I suspect that all of their 115gr round nose bullets are double struck (RNDS) but just aren't listed that way on their website. I was hoping someone might know for sure.

To the OP: Did you use the 115gr RN bullets that are currently for sale on Berry's website or did you find something that was specifically marketed as RNDS?

edit: I did find this statement on Berry's website: "All of our Preferred Plated bullets are swaged from a custom alloyed lead for uniformity, then plated to final weight and put back in a carbide die to be Re-Struck to the preferred dimension." Perhaps this is what is meant by double struck. That would indicate that all of their bullets are DS. However, this makes me wonder why the Accurate load data lists 115gr RNDS and 124gr RN. It sort of implies that there is a difference between RN and RNDS.

Last edited:

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    edit: I did find this statement on Berry's website: "All of our Preferred Plated bullets are swaged from a custom alloyed lead for uniformity, then plated to final weight and put back in a carbide die to be Re-Struck to the preferred dimension." Perhaps this is what is meant by double struck. That would indicate that all of their bullets are DS. However, this makes me wonder why the Accurate load data lists 115gr RNDS and 124gr RN. It sort of implies that there is a difference between RN and RNDS.

I just went and checked out my saved copy of the Accurate manual, and in almost every instance the starting load between the 115 and 124 Berry plated bullets were the same or within a .1 of a grain no matter the powder with the exception of #7 powder. Pick the lowest number and work from there.

Top Bottom