• ...and so much more!
  • ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Planning on driving down to the Atterbury Range either Sat or Sun this weekend for my first time shooting. Are there any particular "unwritten rules" or courtesies I should be aware of? I'm bringing a USP 40c and an XD9sc, do they need to be unloaded? I've only got 2 magazines each, so I feel like a lot of time will be spent reloading... Any tips or advice before I go will be greatly appreciated!

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Always remember the difference between firearm safety rules, and range rules. The 4 rules of firearm safety never change. Range rules, however, are special practices/restrictions set forth by whatever range you happen to be visiting. Usually they will be posted obviously so you can't miss them.

Have fun!

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    When you go to Atterbury and check in, tell the RO this is your first time and that you could use some direction. They will be more than happy to help you out!

mjrducky

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Jun 16, 2009
    North Liberty, IN
    Just let them know its your first time and they will have you read over the range rules and sign the form. They ask you what distance you'll want to shoot and asign you to a lane. You pay $5 refundable deposit on the metal target baffle that you get back when your finished and its $7.00 for the first and $5.00 for the second hour. If you have a target bring it and something to secure it to the cardboard backdrop or you can purchase some self stick targets once there.

here is a web site link to help
    Home

Bisley Man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Whitestown
    Loaded magazines should be OK. DEFINITELY have your guns UNLOADED and slides locked back(action opened). If you don't have a range bag(you need one)and carry the pistols in their original containers you can't do that , of course. Like Montereyc6 says, ask the RO, great advice. Don't forget eye and ear protection.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I've got the case for the XD, but the USP didn't come w/ one. Can I put then together in same case? Then justa messenger bag or something for ammo/magazines? Yeah I don't have any targets. How does that work? They let you out onto the range to retrieve your target at some point?

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    I've got the case for the XD, but the USP didn't come w/ one. Can I put then together in same case? Then justa messenger bag or something for ammo/magazines? Yeah I don't have any targets. How does that work? They let you out onto the range to retrieve your target at some point?

You can put everything is a bag or in the same case or whatever... Of course, to be legal, you need to have your LTCH to drive to the range with your handgun no matter how you carry it... But all guns should be unloaded. Any weapons not in a bag should have the action open magazine out.

They run the range on about a half hour schedule. 20 minutes of shooting, 10 minutes of changing targets.

Just let the Range Officer know it is your first time and they will help you out. Don't touch your weapons (or anything on or near the bench) during cease fire.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    For targets...

go to Walmart and buy some.

And then either buy a roll of masking tape to tape the targets, or buy a staple gun to staple the targets.

Or you can buy self-stick targets at Walmart (or at Atterbury).

Have eye/ear protection. I normally always double up with squeezy-type plugs underneath over-ear earmugs. Atturbery is covered with a concrete roof. The echoing off the concrete makes it much louder than shooting "out in the open". Consider doubling up on your ear pro!

-J-

Fergy35

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NE Corner of our gre
    Just let the Range Officer know it is your first time and they will help you out. Don't touch your weapons (or anything on or near the bench) during cease fire.

a big +1 on not touching weapons during a cease fire. Also be sure to watch others to make sure they are not handling their weapons when you are out there changing your targets.

Have eye/ear protection. I normally always double up with squeezy-type plugs underneath over-ear earmugs. Atturbery is covered with a concrete roof. The echoing off the concrete makes it much louder than shooting "out in the open". Consider doubling up on your ear pro!

Make sure you have your eyes and ears covered. I have never been to Atterbery, but our range has roofs over some of the shooting stations and it is louder under them than on the open lanes.

I am sure the RO will be more than happy to help you. Be safe and have a good time.

NickXD

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    SE Indy
    Just listen to the announcements over the PA and you should be fine. If you let them know it is your first time they seem to be very nice and helpful. I would say bring targets and tape as staples may be harder to use since the backing can sometimes be pretty chewed up. I also second the doubling up on the hearing protection, it was very loud when I was there and it wasn't even crowded! I was thinking of going down there this weekend but haven't tried to hunt down any .45 ammo lately so my supply is very low. Have fun and let us know how it goes.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    In a fog
    I think the previous posts just about covered everything for you. It's a nice place to shoot. They open at 9:00am on the weekends and usually isn't crowded in the mornings. Have fun, and I hope to see you there. :)

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Great info everyone, I really appreciate it.

Heading down there in a couple hours, everything packed and ready to go. Hope I can get another box of 9mm at Walmart before I do... Got plenty of .40 though.

Thanks again! Will return with pictures and a range report :)

theturtle06

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Would you get yelled at for picking up and packing away your weapons during a cease fire? Just asking more out of curiosity than anything but it seems like an inconvenience (albeit a very minor one) to wait for the next round of shooting if you decide you want to leave during a cease fire.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    Would you get yelled at for picking up and packing away your weapons during a cease fire? Just asking more out of curiosity than anything but it seems like an inconvenience (albeit a very minor one) to wait for the next round of shooting if you decide you want to leave during a cease fire.

Short answer, "YES."

Long answer, "ABSOLUTELY"

The offer a two minute warning before each cease fire. Then during the cease fire you are NOT to touch anything on or near the bench.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Dang, for the prices Atterbury charges, I would drive to ECPR if I were you.

I guess if you are only going for an hour then it's reasonable. If you are going for several ECPR is better.

Atterbury
    [FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]RATE IS $7 FOR THE FIRST HOUR AND $5 FOR EVERY ADDITIONAL HOUR[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]
    [/FONT]
    All Day Pass: $25​

Annual Passes:
    $240.00 per year Single
    ----------------------

ECPR:
    SATURDAY & SUNDAY 10am - 4pm.

Pistol Range: 20.00 per person/day. Targets are provided.
    10 visit pass - 65.00

Season Pass -120.00 ( good for 1 year - purchase in January)
    -----

Just my :twocents:

(besides, we have some great guys from ECPR that post here, another reason to give them my business)

redneck919

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2009
    southside
    i live 15 min away from the atterbury shooting range.however i make the drive to the crosley range instead.i can shoot all day if i want for free.leave when i want.check/change my targets when i want.plus longer shooting distances.might be further drive but well worth it.

bogus

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Columbus area
    Thanks for posting the videos. So other than being loud, what did you think of the range and the overall experience? As someone mentioned above it's good to wear plugs under your muffs there. I shoot there quite often. Just curious of your first impressions.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Evanlee11
    Top Bottom