• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    Ever considered .22 precision bench rest type shooting? It can be a real challenge to put a .22 in a dime size hole at 100yards or more. Probably more so than a hi power rig. There’s more places to shoot and a lot of competition shoots every weekend. Just throwing it out there. A lot of info online and the you tubes

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    What game are you hunting? Is it game that couldn't be taken with a 6.5C? I doubt you'll be taking shots on game at 500+ yards? I couldn't imagine a 140-147gr ELD-X not taking an Elk cleanly at 400yds or less

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Wow lots of information to dive into and I can’t thank yall enough.

Let’s start with some information. I’ve been shooting long guns and hunting rifles for decades now. Mostly 30-06 and .308. I have been on a few trips hunting with 300WM and 338LM, but never owned them.

I would like to reload whichever caliber I decide, so that is definitely a factor for me.

For what I’m looking to do, I’d like to get into some comp stuff(thinking 1000yd 1MOA challenge vs running around with the gun) and I’d like to do some big game hunting with it when we venture out west.

The Ruger precision was just something I had considered as it is a decent out of the box gun and gets me 85% of the way there.

As for my decisions on caliber, that’s mainly due the hunting trips I’d like to take with said rifle. Granted doesn’t have to be either of the big magnums, but was just my preference for other than the plinking I’d do with it.
    It sounds like the Sako S20 Precision Model in your choice of caliber would fit the bill very well for the intended uses. You can either hunt with the precision stock or swap it out for the hunting version if you prefer. Either that or assemble a light chassis rifle that you add weight to when shooting from the bench. A 15 lb. Ruger or 10 lb. Bergara with another 1 lb. + for a scope and yet another lb. or more for a suppressor are not going to be much fun to lug around on many hunts.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    It sounds like the Sako S20 Precision Model in your choice of caliber would fit the bill very well for the intended uses. You can either hunt with the precision stock or swap it out for the hunting version if you prefer. Either that or assemble a light chassis rifle that you add weight to when shooting from the bench. A 15 lb. Ruger or 10 lb. Bergara with another 1 lb. + for a scope and yet another lb. or more for a suppressor are not going to be much fun to lug around on many hunts.
    16oz suppressor? That's so 2001. Look no further than a TBAC Ultra 5 at 5-6oz

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    So... first thing I'm going to say is that there's a lot of good advice so far. I started shooting out to 1,000 yards back in '08 and I've shot in competitions like Guardian, Mammoth, Major Land, Accuracy Indiana etc. I've also used the same rifles during deer season. I'm a veteran, but I never went to sniper school. I'm just a long range enthusiast who got into it before it became cool.

As far as the Ruger Precision rifles go, I have one in 338LM and one in 22LR. They shoot accurately, but consider buying the 22lr version as a trainer for so you remain familiar with the platform and it's far cheaper to shoot a 22lr than a 338LM. I reload my own, which if I didn't do I would not be able to afford the ammo to shoot the 33LM. I worked up a load with mine using all the science I could get between my ears and about the only time that rifle comes out of the closet is when it's time to shoot something at a mile, which it's done accurately and consistently several times. The 338LM exists to fill the gap between carrying a 50BMG, and a 308. It's a tradeoff of keeping enough of the destructive power of the 50bmg and getting closer to the weight of a regular 308 sniper rifle. My rifle with bipod and scope is around 16#. I'm not carrying that thing in the field to go hunt deer. As much as I like my rifle, I think it'd be a terrible first precision rifle because the cost of ammo and there's going to ranges that will say "NO" to magnum calibers. I have an AR 500 plate in the backyard laying there with chunks missing because that round is absolutely no joke. That caliber is really more for wrecking enemy equipment from a long ways off.

Regarding what brand of rifle, I'd avoid Remington because with all the other great options available, there's just no reason to buy a Rem700 anymore. I have a friend with a Bergara HMR PRO in 6.5cm and that rifle has shot one of the few true one hole groups I've ever seen. I'll also say he started getting light primer strikes and Bergara sent him a new generation of trigger spring and his round count is 500 ish. There's a known problem with their trigger springs so if you buy one, I'd call day one and get the replacement. I'll also say I've seen the bolt face of a regular Bergara HMR get all mangled up at a competition in Michigan where we were on a sandy range. Still worked, but the bolt face was gouged pretty good. Personally, I'd take a really long look at Tikka T3X rifles. They are very accurate, and you can find whatever you want to suit your needs. I have a full built custom precision rifle and the action on my Tikka T3X CTR in 308 is smoother. Only thing with the tikka is that stocks kinda suck on the CTR model, and while you can buy a KRG Bravo, or a Grayboe Phoenix you need to consider that cost on the front end. Tikka's have a high quality mag that's expensive, but they're tough and arguably better while prone because they don't stick out as much as an AICS pattern mag. My personal Tikka is in a Grayboe Phoenix that uses Tikka mags and I couldn't be happier with it. I had it in a KRG Bravo (that I need to list and sell) and all I had were feeding issues that completely ruined the joy of shooting the gun.

As far as caliber, I'm on the 308 or 6.5cm team 100%. Both are great and have their place. You're always going to be able to find ammo for both. When I take a new guy to the range with a 308 I'm usually pretty sure he's going to hit plates at 1,000 yards. When I take a new guy with a 6.5cm I'm shocked if they don't. Think of it as taking the same engine and putting it in a truck vs a sports car. One just flies better and doesn't get pushed around by the wind as much.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    One more rifle to consider that I've never shot, but I like the concept of is the Daniel Defense Delta 5. They simplified a barrel change to a zero talent task and from what I've seen and heard is that they shoot well. One rifle, using the same magazines, using the same scope, with one barrel change and you go from a long range 6.5cm using match ammo to a 20" 308 loaded with soft points looking for four legged critters during hunting season. Just a thought, and I have zero trigger time on them.

brdhntr37

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    Based on your dual use....7mm PRC comes to mind?

Personally, I would want two guns. A chassis gun for 1000 yards and a sporter for hunting.

If just one gun is preferred, I'd probably look at Howa, Bergara, Tikka and maybe in a varmint barrel configuration or a CF barrel depending on budget.

This is more of the route I took as well. I have a 308 and a 6.5c (tikka and barrett, respectively) that I will take to the range and is a lot more accurate than me. They are heavy enough that I don't really want to drag them through a field or woods for very long at all. I have an old remington sps that is a whole lot lighter and accurate enough for the shots I take hunting with it.

All that being said, the tikka and barrett are both pretty sweet guns. Dollar for dollar, it's hard to beat the tikka for me tho

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Ever considered .22 precision bench rest type shooting? It can be a real challenge to put a .22 in a dime size hole at 100yards or more. Probably more so than a hi power rig. There’s more places to shoot and a lot of competition shoots every weekend. Just throwing it out there. A lot of info online and the you tubes
    I never thought of 22s as anything more than for squirrels and tin cans until I was influenced by a couple of serious 22 shooters.

Skip forward a few years and my safe now has names like Kidd and Vudoo in it.

As much as I like "high power" shooting, I have come to really enjoy the ability to grab an ARA Unlimited card and shoot at 50/100 yards with nothing more than a few flags and some factory ammo but still have 98.2% of the challenges of 1000 yards.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Just another thought, because a lot of ideas being thrown out there are pretty high dollar. Last night I met a friend of mine at the range. He's in the Air Force, and been a life long hunter. He bought a Ruger American Predator for $500 at Rural King in 6.5cm, put a Vortex Diamondback tactical scope on it, with a magpul bipod. Using one box of Hornady 140gr he was zeroed and now has dope out to 1,000 yards. With that scope being first focal plane there was no need to dial, and honestly the reticle would be more consistent than the turrets in that scope anyway. He's got less than a thousand bucks or maybe right at it in his rifle, and made some nice hits along the way. All I did was spot and use my kestrel to help get him onto the next target.

All I'm saying is, shooting at long range can be as expensive and complicated as you want it to be, or it can be as simple as you want it to be. You should have seen his face when he started slapping steel at 1,000 yards. He never thought that rifle would be able to do that.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Just another thought, because a lot of ideas being thrown out there are pretty high dollar. Last night I met a friend of mine at the range. He's in the Air Force, and been a life long hunter. He bought a Ruger American Predator for $500 at Rural King in 6.5cm, put a Vortex Diamondback tactical scope on it, with a magpul bipod. Using one box of Hornady 140gr he was zeroed and now has dope out to 1,000 yards. With that scope being first focal plane there was no need to dial, and honestly the reticle would be more consistent than the turrets in that scope anyway. He's got less than a thousand bucks or maybe right at it in his rifle, and made some nice hits along the way. All I did was spot and use my kestrel to help get him onto the next target.

All I'm saying is, shooting at long range can be as expensive and complicated as you want it to be, or it can be as simple as you want it to be. You should have seen his face when he started slapping steel at 1,000 yards. He never thought that rifle would be able to do that.
    Ruger American rifles can definitely shoot but investing a $1000 into one makes very little sense to me. One doesn't have to spend top dollar to purchase a much better rifle. A small effort put into shopping and another $200 or less would have bought a Tikka with a decent stock, good trigger, and a far superior action that actually feeds cartridges reliably.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Imma go a different direction:

Buy a QUALITY durable long-lasting rifle scope first. Leupold Mk 5, US Optics, Nightforce, etc.

You can put that glass on a mid-grade rifle and still achieve what you want. Upgrade / sell the old rifle as necessary.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Ruger American rifles can definitely shoot but investing a $1000 into one makes very little sense to me. One doesn't have to spend top dollar to purchase a much better rifle. A small effort put into shopping and another $200 or less would have bought a Tikka with a decent stock, good trigger, and a far superior action that actually feeds cartridges reliably.
    He had around $1000 in the rifle/scope/bipod. The rifle itself was around $500 on sale at Rural King. I'd agree the rifle itself isn't a $1000 gun, but the point I was doing a poor job of making was that he had $1,000 in the whole package.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Imma go a different direction:

Buy a QUALITY durable long-lasting rifle scope first. Leupold Mk 5, US Optics, Nightforce, etc.

You can put that glass on a mid-grade rifle and still achieve what you want. Upgrade / sell the old rifle as necessary.

I’d rather have an average gun with great glass than a great gun with average glass.

That being said, there are some tremendous “budget” scopes that perform - like the Arken EPs and the Bushnell Match Pro.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    He had around $1000 in the rifle/scope/bipod. The rifle itself was around $500 on sale at Rural King. I'd agree the rifle itself isn't a $1000 gun, but the point I was doing a poor job of making was that he had $1,000 in the whole package.
    I understood what you were saying. My point was he spent a $1000 on package that barely includes a rifle when he could have spent $1200 on a package that includes a nice rifle.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I understood what you were saying. My point was he spent a $1000 on package that barely includes a rifle when he could have spent $1200 on a package that includes a nice rifle.
    Much to my shock, he spent $1000 and was on target at 1,000 yards. As much as I want to turn my nose up at it as well, he was hitting what he was aiming at at over a half mile. We live in great times to buy a great rifle that shoots very well for very little money. A ruger action might feel like dragging a bag of rocks over gravel compared to a Tikka or a custom action, but I can't fault the guy for getting his moneys worth. He wants a hunting rifle that he's going to happen to take to a friendly competition. He's also a single dad with 5 kids so he's watching every penny he spends. Honestly, I was shocked at well the rifle and he did.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Much to my shock, he spent $1000 and was on target at 1,000 yards. As much as I want to turn my nose up at it as well, he was hitting what he was aiming at at over a half mile. We live in great times to buy a great rifle that shoots very well for very little money. A ruger action might feel like dragging a bag of rocks over gravel compared to a Tikka or a custom action, but I can't fault the guy for getting his moneys worth. He wants a hunting rifle that he's going to happen to take to a friendly competition. He's also a single dad with 5 kids so he's watching every penny he spends. Honestly, I was shocked at well the rifle and he did.
    I don't and can't fault the guy for his choice. It is unreasonable in the extreme to expect someone with little rifle experience to see through the marketing and hype to make a well informed decision. Indeed, many people with the experience to know better will readily fall for the same marketing or worse. On top of that, a tight budget always forces tough compromises even on those that are more familiar with rifles.

If someone simply wants a cheap rifle to plink or target practice with occasionally then the Ruger American is fine. The problem with the Ruger American as a hunting rifle is that everyone overlooks the critical things it does poorly simply because it tends to shoot very well. It really doesn't matter if a hunting rifle shoots small groups from the bench or is capable of hitting targets at a 1000 yards, if it barely feeds rounds during warm weather and completely clean or the flimsy stock flexes under awkward shooting positions. Hopefully your friend practices cycling the rifle frequently and spends as much time practicing with it off of the bench.

Purdue1991

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 19, 2022
    I don't and can't fault the guy for his choice. It is unreasonable in the extreme to expect someone with little rifle experience to see through the marketing and hype to make a well informed decision. Indeed, many people with the experience to know better will readily fall for the same marketing or worse. On top of that, a tight budget always forces tough compromises even on those that are more familiar with rifles.

If someone simply wants a cheap rifle to plink or target practice with occasionally then the Ruger American is fine. The problem with the Ruger American as a hunting rifle is that everyone overlooks the critical things it does poorly simply because it tends to shoot very well. It really doesn't matter if a hunting rifle shoots small groups from the bench or is capable of hitting targets at a 1000 yards, if it barely feeds rounds during warm weather and completely clean or the flimsy stock flexes under awkward shooting positions. Hopefully your friend practices cycling the rifle frequently and spends as much time practicing with it off of the bench.

The Tikka is about $300 more than the $500 he paid for the Ruger. That's an increase of 60%. I would hope the Tikka would be much better than the Ruger in a lot of aspects for an additional 60%.

I'm not sure why you're laser focused in on this. But the fact that I think is lost on you is that some people simply don't have the extra $300, or don't want to spend it on a "better" piece of equipment. So they compromise. The Ruger shoots well. I don't own one, but I've seen reviews on it. It may not cycle as well as a Tikka. It may not have as nice of a stock as a Tikka. But those are the things you compromise on when your budget is where your budget is.

For example, I bought an Arken scope for my entry into long distance shooting. And I spent about $350 on it. You could make the argument that I could've gotten a much better scope for $200 or $300 more. No ****?? Maybe I should have bought a Nightforce for $2,000 or more. I mean, why not spend that much to get a "better" piece of equipment...

Top Bottom