• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • keeph8n

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2011
    Wanting to step into the arena of long range shooting and have been eyeballing the Ruger Precision options in either 300WM or 338LM.

Either option will be suppressed. I’m also not currently setup to reload either round.

Is the Ruger the right platform to start with? Preference with one round vs the other?

nucular

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Not sure about the ruger but when I first started looking into this, tikka, remington, and bergara seemed to take the top 2 spots in the 'reasonable' price range. I ended up with a tikka in 6.5 and it has been a tack driver.

ZurokSlayer7X9

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    NWI
    So I don't have personal experience in the two cartridges you're looking into, but have done enough research to know enough to be dangerous, as I am too interested in the Ruger Precision platform in those two calibers.

First determining factor is price. .300 Win Mag is one of the more popular rifle rounds in America, and the price difference reflects this. The cheapest I've seen .300 Win Mag in stores around here was roughly $1.50 a shot, while the cheapest .338 has been roughly $7.50 a shot. It's not unheard to get a box of 20 good .300 for $50, but expect to pay somewhat more than $100 for a box of 20 good .338.

Second determining factor is power. Despite the name, .338 is not a true belted magnum cartridge like .300 is, however .338 is significantly more powerful than .300, and subsequentially so will it's recoil. .300 is roughly in the 3,000-4,000 ft-lbs. range for it's kinetic energy payload, while .338 is in the 5,000 range.

Third is availability. Again, .300 is somewhat more common in America than .338, and will likely have more bullet options and manufacturers.

The Ruger Precision Rifle is a very interesting platform. I have not pulled the trigger on one, but I've heard enough from other shooters that it is definitely a competent gun. The biggest factors for me at least is it's heavy barrel profile and magazine system for larger magnum calibers. The .300 and .338 variants are heavy (not .50 BMG heavy, but still heavy), so you will likely not be trekking through the mountains with one of these. I've held the .300 variant several times, and thought it would be perfect on a tripod. I'd imagine the .338 variant would be a tad heavier.

Ultimately with everything considered above, I personally decided I will get the .300 variant when I get the chance to buy a Ruger Precision Rifle, even though I have a little bit of Scott from Kentucky Ballistics in me and am sad to say no to the extra power the .338 brings to the table. I personally can't justify the $8 price tag, especially when there is .50 BMG ammo for less than that, and .300 will likely do everything I need it to and more.

Another round that I collected along the way and fell in love with is 7mm Remington Magnum. More powerful than 30-06, being at the 2,900 - 3,300 ft-lbs. range and with superior ballistic coefficients than the majority of .30 cal. projectiles. It's also somewhat available being a very popular round in America, and can often cost slightly less than .300 WM. I've heard that 7mm has very similar ballistics to 6.5 CM, however a lot more power, though I would NOT recommend getting a barrel less than 25 inches, as 7mm requires a bit of barrel to achieve optimal velocity, optimal barrel length would be 27-28 inches. A proper load and barrel will send a 150 gr. pill downrange at excess of 3,150 FPS. Unfortunately, Ruger doesn't provide an option in 7mm.

Bluehazemay

Modern Pirate Lord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    Brownsburg
    Personally, I love the Ruger PR in 338LM. Its been a dream to shot and remarkable fun! If I was given a choice between this or my Barrett in the military - I would go the Ruger. hopefully this helps out!

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Wanting to step into the arena of long range shooting and have been eyeballing the Ruger Precision options in either 300WM or 338LM.

Either option will be suppressed. I’m also not currently setup to reload either round.

Is the Ruger the right platform to start with? Preference with one round vs the other?
    Sounds like you're ready to open up your wallet.
    1. Not set up to reload(press, dies, components)
    2. Probably no suppressor purchased yet?
    3. Cost of rifle
    4. Cost of optic and rings
    Then, it's a matter of do you actually have some place to shoot 1000+ yards?
    If you're wanting get into LR shooting I'd opt for a less expensive rifle in 6.5C that is known to shoot very well out of the box. Buy a mid tier optic and buy some factory match ammo and go shooting. In the meantime save your brass and buy reloading stuff and start working up 6.5 loads. Then if it's something you really enjoy then you can upgrade to a larger ELR caliber. 6.5C will get you to 1400 yds. It's easier to sell a 6.5 than a 338

Purdue1991

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 19, 2022
    3. Cost of rifle
    If you're wanting get into LR shooting I'd opt for a less expensive rifle in 6.5C that is known to shoot very well out of the box. Buy a mid tier optic and buy some factory match ammo and go shooting. In the meantime save your brass and buy reloading stuff and start working up 6.5 loads. Then if it's something you really enjoy then you can upgrade to a larger ELR caliber. 6.5C will get you to 1400 yds. It's easier to sell a 6.5 than a 338

100% agree. Developing your own loads for the specific rifle is the single best way to improve precision.

Secondarily, barrel life on a 300 Win Mag is going to be a lot lower than a 6.5 CM or 308 Win. And your shoulder will thank you for it as well...

JDHOOSIER73

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2016
    Greenwood
    3. Cost of rifle
    This

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99%
    95   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    First off, I ain't no expert here. However, as a guy just starting off in the long distance precision world... you sure seem to be hell bent on jumping into the deep end of the pool. You have suggested a couple of heavy recoiling, and expensive (or REALLY expensive) rounds here. This sounds a bit like a first time motorcyclist going out and buying a Ninja H2R.

There's a learning curve to shooting long distance. I know, because I'm still learning. If I may... Perhaps you might be better served by starting out with a medium size caliber first. Try 6mmPRC or 6.5 Creedmoor, or something on that neighborhood. You could even start out with a .223 or a .243 to learn the basics, then step up as you get better.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson

IMO, you've received some good advice that I'll try not to duplicate. You mentioned long range shooting but didn't specify the purpose, do you plan to compete in long range competitions, hunt, plink, or all of the above?

Personally, I'd forget the .338 for now and consider a .300 PRC instead of .300 Win mag if you have to jump into the deep end from the start and plan to reload eventually. A 7 PRC would also be worth considering. I'm sure the Ruger Precision is a fine rifle but it is priced in no man's land in my opinion. By that I mean you can buy better rifles for less or similar and much better rifles for a not too much more.

In addition to the Tikka and Bergara rifles already mentioned I'd take a look at the Sako S20 if you decide to go with a .300 Win mag or one of the smaller cartridges. You can find them online for less than $1300. I'd also look at the Daniel Defense options for smaller calibers as well for slightly less or a bit more than the Ruger depending on stock choices.

Edited to add: If you're not planning on hunting big game with the setup or shooting ultra long range, the new .22 CM is the flattest shooting and lightest recoiling option for 1000 +/- yards. Rifle options are currently limited but quality barrels are readily available to build your own.

Last edited:

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    I agree with essentially everything posted herein.

I first bought a Howa, then an RPR. Sold the RPR and, finally, built a chassis gun off a Defiance Ruckus in 6.5 Creedmoor.

The RPR was plenty capable but the Howa outshoot it with handloads and factory ammo for half the price.

One question is what type of long range shooting do you plan?

If you are wanting a 1000 yard gun not sure I would go with 300wm/338. Those calibers will wear you out on a long day (IMO) - accuracy suffers with fatigue. 6.5 and 6mm calibers are more user friendly - again - in my opinion. Honestly, the cost to run 300/338 would keep me out of those calibers unless I was shooting distances measured in miles.

Do you plan to reload? If so, all kinds of options like 6mm Dasher - just to throw that out.

If I assemble another 1000 yard gun, it would probably be something in 6mm or 22 creedmoor??

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    I love my Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor. I can't compare it to other options, since it's the only precision rifle I've ever owned, but I've had no complaints about it at all, it's far and away my favorite gun to shoot.

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    Going to throw my hat in the ring for getting a 6.5 CM / .308 first. Starting on the heavy calibers will hamper learning.

But between 300 Win and 338 Lapua…. 300 for me.

338 Lapua will cost too much and beat you up. If you want that kind of range and trajectory, the 7mm PRC is surprisingly similar at a fraction of the cost and recoil.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I was in the same boat when bought my first precision rifle last year. I went with a Bergara B-14 HMR in 6.5 CM. The Bergara had more recommendations than any other rifle when I was asking around. I have a Texas Silencer Co. Hunter .308 suppressor on it. It is an absolute tack driver with very little recoil. I would gladly shoot it all day.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I shoot a .300 wm... and if you can find some reloading components you can reload it very very cheap.

And it's still supersonic at 1000+ yards.

I would definitely figure out what types of things you want and total budget and work backwards. Remington and Savage have been very popular for a long time because of a lot of reasons. Mainly they can be adjusted in many different ways. I don't have any experience with RPR

But if you really want long range precision... you're going to have to jump into reloading eventually anyway.

keeph8n

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2011
    Wow lots of information to dive into and I can’t thank yall enough.

Let’s start with some information. I’ve been shooting long guns and hunting rifles for decades now. Mostly 30-06 and .308. I have been on a few trips hunting with 300WM and 338LM, but never owned them.

I would like to reload whichever caliber I decide, so that is definitely a factor for me.

For what I’m looking to do, I’d like to get into some comp stuff(thinking 1000yd 1MOA challenge vs running around with the gun) and I’d like to do some big game hunting with it when we venture out west.

The Ruger precision was just something I had considered as it is a decent out of the box gun and gets me 85% of the way there.

As for my decisions on caliber, that’s mainly due the hunting trips I’d like to take with said rifle. Granted doesn’t have to be either of the big magnums, but was just my preference for other than the plinking I’d do with it.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Wow lots of information to dive into and I can’t thank yall enough.

Let’s start with some information. I’ve been shooting long guns and hunting rifles for decades now. Mostly 30-06 and .308. I have been on a few trips hunting with 300WM and 338LM, but never owned them.

I would like to reload whichever caliber I decide, so that is definitely a factor for me.

For what I’m looking to do, I’d like to get into some comp stuff(thinking 1000yd 1MOA challenge vs running around with the gun) and I’d like to do some big game hunting with it when we venture out west.

The Ruger precision was just something I had considered as it is a decent out of the box gun and gets me 85% of the way there.

As for my decisions on caliber, that’s mainly due the hunting trips I’d like to take with said rifle. Granted doesn’t have to be either of the big magnums, but was just my preference for other than the plinking I’d do with it.
    Based on your dual use....7mm PRC comes to mind?

Personally, I would want two guns. A chassis gun for 1000 yards and a sporter for hunting.

If just one gun is preferred, I'd probably look at Howa, Bergara, Tikka and maybe in a varmint barrel configuration or a CF barrel depending on budget.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Been shooting for precision for a while (mostly .308 and mostly for hunting) using Ruger, Savage, Howa and Tikka rifles with handloads. Good results and cheap to shoot reloads, plus you can be as anal as you like with powder drops and OAL.

Very recently moved into 300WM (used Fierce Fury), and happy to discover that most of my .308 reloading components will work with 300. The Fierce is not a heavy rifle, good for hauling around in the woods, but a bit long. The Limbsaver on the stock makes this no more unpleasant to shoot than my .308 bolts. Results to be found in the precision rifles thread. Put a bunch of rounds through it last week and no bruising! Saved all the brass, of course. Now to work up some 168 grain JSP rounds for hunting season...

duanewade

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2019
    Columbia City
    While not what I would consider a precision rifle, years ago I had a heavy barrel NEF Handirifle in .308. While I would never consider this a long range precision rifle it would shoot ½" groups at 100 yards all day.

It all boils down to what you want and what you are willing to pay for it.

Top Bottom