• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • saintnick81

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Bedford
    are you near south bend? if so go to kodiak firing range, and do the gun rental. i was there today and shot a few glocks, a few springfields, a ruger lc9, a few m&ps, and a sig mosquito. all for $20 ($10 for gun rental, $10 for a lane) plus the cost of ammo.

I am in Lawrence county. Anybody know of anyplace within an hour or so where i can rent and shoot? That would be extremely helpful.

45acp223

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    SE IN.
    RN, very nice review. Specs. look good, and safety features are a real plus! I've read several posts with folks recommending the xD and the M&P for carrying. I need to see one in 45acp and see how it fits my hand, then rent it and see how the recoil is in the larger caliber. Thanks for posting the links/video.

Last edited:

CharlesGoodnight

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    Fishers, IN
    I have at Beretta 84 .380 that is a nice gun. Very Accurate and it is a Beretta. You can find them used for $300-$400. Some will say a .380 is not big enough for SD, but I think it would do just fine if put in the right place.

Pinball81

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 19, 2012
    My vote goes for M&P 9. Great all around gun. I much prefer it to the Glock (personal preference), but you can't go wrong with either.

Captain Morgan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2012
    terrible haute
    I agree with others saying Ruger SR9 or SR9c. If the Glock feels weird in your hand, give these two a try. The SR9 is a full size gun, the 9c is slightly smaller, both in barrel length and grip. There is an adapter for the 9c that allows it to accept the full size 17 round magazines, but I've read on here that it tends to pinch the hand when firing. Can't confirm that, though. The Ruger has a thinner grip than both the Glock and the S&W M&P, so make sure you at least check it out. It's also striker fired and has an external safety. Take a look at some youtube videos for reviews on each gun you're considering, but see how each feels in your hand before making the final decision. If you can find someone who will let you shoot theirs, that would be a bonus.

BlueCow

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2012
    In my opinion, I would say a m&p9, walther ppq, springfield XDm, and a steyr m9a1....but what ever you buy, make sure you can shoot a mag or two first. A perfect gun on paper that feels terrible in your hand isnt the perfect gun for you.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    M&P9C with a safety is the best one size fits all gun in my book. For a first gun, please get a gun with a safety, which rules out Glock. I would suggest a STRIKER fired pistol that holds at least 10 rounds, and has a manual safety. That will narrow the results down to just a few.

Glock fanboys will tell you safeties are stupid, but for a beginner I believe they should be a top priority. I suppose the grip safety on a Springfield XDM is really acceptable as well. The primary purpose is to prevent accidental discharge from "coon fingering" (slang for mishandling). Until you have a perfected keeping your gun holstered, even while using the restroom, and learn to store your gun so that you can grab it in the dark with your eyes closed without touching the trigger, use a safety.

Better yet, learn, train and practice how to handle a gun instead of relying on mechanical gizmos. Most of the guns I own with mechanical safeties all operate differently - decocker only, up is of, down is off, slide mount, frame mount, etc. The last thing I want to do is try and fiddle with it under pressure so they all stay off and ready to fire.

If you want safety - I kind of like hammer fired over strikers; there's something reassuring knowing that a hammer has to move back before firing, especially for beginners.

But, that said, The CZ P07 Duty comes with BOTH a decocker and safety selector. YOU choose how you want it, and swap the parts.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    Having owned all the major brands as a frame of reference, CZ75b without a 2nd thought.

I can tell you from the experience of having no experience that buying your first handgun that getting something like the CZ is a non-starter.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, you know and I know now how sweet of a gun that is. I just don't see a noob starting there.

For your first car, do you get a Honda Accord or an Alfa Romeo...?

tornrebel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2013
    Indiana
    I would suggest the M&P 9c for a first home defense. It isn't as scary as a 40 or 45, whicj for you may not be an issue, but if you have a girlfriend or wife that may need to use it they would appreciate the 9mm. My wife was trained on the SR22 and then moved to the M&P9, which she absolutely loves. My weapon of choice is the M&P40c, but since you plan to only have one weapon for awhile the M&P9 loaded with some hornadays will be more than enough to provide safety in your home. Happy shopping and enjoy the excitement of buying your first hand gun since it only happens once.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    I can tell you from the experience of having no experience that buying your first handgun that getting something like the CZ is a non-starter.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, you know and I know now how sweet of a gun that is. I just don't see a noob starting there.

For your first car, do you get a Honda Accord or an Alfa Romeo...?

I'm talking about a plain jane 75b for like $450-$500 (price range in OP), not the Shadow (which is really just a gussied up pre-B 75). ;)

Why couldn't a newb start with one? They were designed for ComBloc peasant conscripts, who were basically newbs, but dumber and smellier.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I'm talking about a plain jane 75b for like $450-$500 (price range in OP), not the Shadow (which is really just a gussied up pre-B 75). ;)

Why couldn't a newb start with one? They were designed for ComBloc peasant conscripts, who were basically newbs, but dumber and smellier.

:yesway:

There's nothing about a CZ75B that makes it "unfriendly". It's solid, low recoil, accurate, simple to operate and feels soooo good!

It may not be for everyone, but don't say a new shooter can't have it just because you don't like it.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello

There's nothing about a CZ75B that makes it "unfriendly". It's solid, low recoil, accurate, simple to operate and feels soooo good!

It may not be for everyone, but don't say a new shooter can't have it just because you don't like it.

I couldn't agree more. It is the perfect pistol for a new shooter. If you absolutely must have a polymer gun then you should look at the CZ P07. All the CZ goodness with a polymer frame, safety and a great trigger.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville

Who says I don't like it? I'd love to have one. That's not what I said at all.

I just know that when I was a noob, that if someone suggested one, I'd be wary of starting with that, or anything else equally "exotic". Not that they really are.

I just think that for the man buying his one and only, that it is better to get a M&P or a XD or a SR9 or a ... (pains me to say it...) Glock.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Who says I don't like it? I'd love to have one. That's not what I said at all.

I just know that when I was a noob, that if someone suggested one, I'd be wary of starting with that, or anything else equally "exotic". Not that they really are.

I just think that for the man buying his one and only, that it is better to get a M&P or a XD or a SR9 or a ... (pains me to say it...) Glock.

Why? :dunno:

In all fairness, when I was a newb, I probably would have had the same reaction had someone given me that pearl of advice. CZs were weird commie guns that seemed too cheaply priced for steel frames to be any good. No one I knew shot them, and plastic is all the rage. How wrong I was!

I probably should keep the CZ goodness secret. I'd much rather the competition shoot Glocks and M&Ps. If only I could convince them all to buy Rugers........ :laugh:

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    Ease of finding parts & accessories, number of other owners on forums, etc...

Those kind of reasons that don't really apply to me any more.

I'm just applying the KISS principle here. Not saying in any way that the "exotics" are inferior or bad in any way. In most ways, they're more desirable.

Take it a step further, let's say four or five yahoos told him to get a Makarov. What would you say to that?

Nevermind. I know what you're going to say... "Now you're just being stupid..."

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Ease of finding parts & accessories, number of other owners on forums, etc...

Those kind of reasons that don't really apply to me any more.

I'm just applying the KISS principle here. Not saying in any way that the "exotics" are inferior or bad in any way. In most ways, they're more desirable.

Take it a step further, let's say four or five yahoos told him to get a Makarov. What would you say to that?

Parts are easy. CZ-usa, CZ-custom, or Cajun gun works. Done. Easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy. Just as easy as ordering Glock/M&P/XDm parts.

As far as accessories, same thing. To the small extent that there are fewer doodads than for a Glock or M&P, I'd say it's probably a good thing for a newb not to have a whole catalog of gimmicky useless crap to blow money on. KISS, indeed.

I'd probably say the same about the number of forum dwellers. Quality>quantity. The information one would need about the CZ is already out there. I'm not sure any value is added by a million more yahoos of questionable skill and intelligence raving about the only gun they've ever owned as the bestest, most awesomest gun EVER! NUFF SAID!!

And Makarovs? Those things are turds. :):

Truckerman79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    McCordsville, IN
    The criteria for a first gun is simple: Find the one that feels best in your hands. If the gun you choose doesn't feel just right, you won't want to shoot it, and hence you won't be a good shot.

Personally, I don't think there's anything wrong with having a first gun that doesn't have a manual safety. My first gun was a Glock, and I just used the safety between my ears. Not to mention, a Glock can't be fired unless the trigger is pulled.

Follow the 4 rules and you'll be fine.

Top Bottom