First long gun purchase! Need some advice!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hammertime

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2015
    Mccordsville
    Hello,

I've never thought about buying a long gun before until recently. The last couple of months I've been wanting to pick up a rifle to do some distance target shooting with.
    I'm looking for a decent beginners rifle that I can take to a rifle range and try and get some distance with. Nothing serious.
    I know nothing about rifle calibers so I'm not impartial to anything specific and an open to suggestions! (P.S. I know I want something bigger then .22LR)

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks!

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I don't know if you are looking for any precision but for just some shooting to reach out a bit further I would consider an AR if you don't want to start with a 22. Ammo is pretty cheap and plentiful. Plus AR prices are great right now!

Hammertime

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2015
    Mccordsville
    I don't know if you are looking for any precision but for just some shooting to reach out a bit further I would consider an AR if you don't want to start with a 22. Ammo is pretty cheap and plentiful. Plus AR prices are great right now!
    Is their a recommended AR or is it more something you want to build yourself? Also, if I was looking for something to do precision shooting at a distance do you have a recommendation there?

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    A .22 is perhaps the cheapest and easiest way to hone those shooting skills. IMO. You might own an INDY car, but if you can't drive it, what fun is it?

Hammertime

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2015
    Mccordsville
    A .22 is perhaps the cheapest and easiest way to hone those shooting skills. IMO. You might own an INDY car, but if you can't drive it, what fun is it?

I've actually done a lot of shooting with .22LR. A friend of mine has several of them I've spent time with at the Range with. I just prefer something bigger then that.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Is their a recommended AR or is it more something you want to build yourself? Also, if I was looking for something to do precision shooting at a distance do you have a recommendation there?

A good AR and good value for your money, I point people to Palmetto State Armory. But there are many great options. I would recommend buying a complete rifle but you are more than capable of putting one together I am sure. As far as precision that just depends on many things. What distance? That is the main one. You can be precise with a 22 at 100 yards but it may be hard to do @ 300 yards. And at a certain point it involves hand loading and things.

I am guessing you'll shoot steel or punch paper at 300 and in. You can do that with an AR but you could also get a bolt gun if you wanted. If you aren't reloading I'd still stay with a 223. However, if you for some reason want to shoot far you can do it but it gets expensive. And it's addictive. I have the worst itch for it right now!

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Aldo as bulletsmith is saying, you can't go wrong with a 10/22 I love shooting them especially at things far away. My only issue with them at this point in time is I personally can't bring myself to pay for the ammo right now as I feel like it's still too high.

Hammertime

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2015
    Mccordsville
    A good AR and good value for your money, I point people to Palmetto State Armory. But there are many great options. I would recommend buying a complete rifle but you are more than capable of putting one together I am sure. As far as precision that just depends on many things. What distance? That is the main one. You can be precise with a 22 at 100 yards but it may be hard to do @ 300 yards. And at a certain point it involves hand loading and things.

I am guessing you'll shoot steel or punch paper at 300 and in. You can do that with an AR but you could also get a bolt gun if you wanted. If you aren't reloading I'd still stay with a 223. However, if you for some reason want to shoot far you can do it but it gets expensive. And it's addictive. I have the worst itch for it right now!

I have definitely heard that this type of thing can be super addictive! I'm kind of excited about th at. I dont know anything about reloading my own munnitions but may be something I'd look into at some point as I've heard it has great benefits. Originally I was looking for a bolt action rifle, and I'd probably want to do something over 100 Yards. I'll take a look at 223, as well as check out that Armory!

Thanks!

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    As long as you are happy with it. I have a bolt action 223 and I still love to get it out from time to time, it can really group them tight! Again though, a 22 would also be something to consider.

If you do some research you'll get a better idea of what suits your needs too I am sure. 17hmr would be something cheap and good to look at. !00 or in though you just don't need anything "not small" if you catch my drift. I am sure some other guys will be along soon to say a few things too and help you think it out.

Edit: just saw you said over 100 not under. Sorry I was about to pass out for the night!

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I have definitely heard that this type of thing can be super addictive! I'm kind of excited about th at. I dont know anything about reloading my own munnitions but may be something I'd look into at some point as I've heard it has great benefits. Originally I was looking for a bolt action rifle, and I'd probably want to do something over 100 Yards. I'll take a look at 223, as well as check out that Armory!

Thanks!

"Over 100 yards" covers a lot of territory. The answers for 100-200y are not the same as 800-1000y. Pretty much any idiot, myself included, can learn to make shots in the 100-200y range. Reaching way out there starts running into both gear and skill. If you want to talk 300y or so and in, I'll chime in. Anything longer than that, and I'm the wrong guy to give advice.

Hammertime

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2015
    Mccordsville
    "Over 100 yards" covers a lot of territory. The answers for 100-200y are not the same as 800-1000y. Pretty much any idiot, myself included, can learn to make shots in the 100-200y range. Reaching way out there starts running into both gear and skill. If you want to talk 300y or so and in, I'll chime in. Anything longer than that, and I'm the wrong guy to give advice.

I dont think I'm anywhere near ready to extremely far out as 800+y. I would say I'd be wanting to reach anywhere from 100-300y to start with. I do understand that there is a lot of other things to consider and I apologize that I'm not knowledgeable enough to be more informative about exactly what I want/am looking for. I do know, that ideally I'd like a bolt action rifle that is bigger than .22LR.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I dont think I'm anywhere near ready to extremely far out as 800+y. I would say I'd be wanting to reach anywhere from 100-300y to start with. I do understand that there is a lot of other things to consider and I apologize that I'm not knowledgeable enough to be more informative about exactly what I want/am looking for. I do know, that ideally I'd like a bolt action rifle that is bigger than .22LR.

Alright, well I figure by "beginner's rifle" you mean cheap. .22 is generally considered the place to start if you really want to learn, but I get it, you want more smoke and noise and recoil because fun. .223 is still relatively inexpensive for the non-reloader, has enough kick to feel like you shot something, but not enough that you'll be sore at some point. I'd probably look at something like the Ruger American, Savage Axis ii, Mossberg MVP. Low cost, reasonable rifles you aren't like to outgrow for plinking. I have a .22 magnum Ruger American and am very happy with it. Savage accu-trigger is also suh-weet. I haven't played with the Mossberg, but people who do seem to like it.

I would *not* go to something like .30-06. Recoil can be punishing in lighter rifles. It's also about a buck a shot if you don't reload.

If you decide you want an AR, now's a great time to get into the market. It's a real soft market right now, a good time to pick up a deal.

Hammertime

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2015
    Mccordsville
    Alright, well I figure by "beginner's rifle" you mean cheap. .22 is generally considered the place to start if you really want to learn, but I get it, you want more smoke and noise and recoil because fun. .223 is still relatively inexpensive for the non-reloader, has enough kick to feel like you shot something, but not enough that you'll be sore at some point. I'd probably look at something like the Ruger American, Savage Axis ii, Mossberg MVP. Low cost, reasonable rifles you aren't like to outgrow for plinking. I have a .22 magnum Ruger American and am very happy with it. Savage accu-trigger is also suh-weet. I haven't played with the Mossberg, but people who do seem to like it.

I would *not* go to something like .30-06. Recoil can be punishing in lighter rifles. It's also about a buck a shot if you don't reload.

If you decide you want an AR, now's a great time to get into the market. It's a real soft market right now, a good time to pick up a deal.

Okay good to know! What I originally meant by beginner was something that was relatively easy to pick up and learn with. Price wasnt really a consideration. If the market for ARs is that good right now, I suppose it something I should definitely look into. I saw that the Palmetto State Armory, that was mentioned earlier, had some decent pre-built rifles, though if its better to build my own as it will be more cost effective then I wouldnt be opposed to learning how to build one.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Okay good to know! What I originally meant by beginner was something that was relatively easy to pick up and learn with. Price wasnt really a consideration. If the market for ARs is that good right now, I suppose it something I should definitely look into. I saw that the Palmetto State Armory, that was mentioned earlier, had some decent pre-built rifles, though if its better to build my own as it will be more cost effective then I wouldnt be opposed to learning how to build one.

As soft as the market is now, I don't think you can build one for what you can buy one for. Profit margins are so thin due to the overabundance of supply, you can't match their prices paying retail for your own parts. If you get used parts, have a parts bin laying around, etc, then maybe.

Again, though, if you want something easy to pick up and learn with... .22. There's a reason they were trainer rifles for the military when they were issuing bolt actions.

Hammertime

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2015
    Mccordsville
    As soft as the market is now, I don't think you can build one for what you can buy one for. Profit margins are so thin due to the overabundance of supply, you can't match their prices paying retail for your own parts. If you get used parts, have a parts bin laying around, etc, then maybe.

Again, though, if you want something easy to pick up and learn with... .22. There's a reason they were trainer rifles for the military when they were issuing bolt actions.

Got it! Thanks for the information! I really appreciate it!

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Why not just get a bolt action chambered in .223?
    Sorry, maybe I'm just an old stick in the mud, but why spend the extra money on an AR when you can get at least two decent quality turnbolts that will more than likely outshoot even the best AR?

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Sorry, maybe I'm just an old stick in the mud, but why spend the extra money on an AR when you can get at least two decent quality turnbolts that will more than likely outshoot even the best AR?

I mostly agree with this, but so many AR's can outshoot many bolt guns out of the box. But I don't necessarily agree that they are a beginners gun either. With the short sight radius and sensitivity to head placement and pressures on the rifle, I think a bolt action rifle is more suited to a new shooter than an AR15.

I think .243 is the ideal caliber for the one rifle, new shooter. From targets, to varmints, to large game (where legal) this caliber is very versatile. And recoil is low.

My recommendation is a quality rifle in .243.

Hammertime

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2015
    Mccordsville

I mostly agree with this, but so many AR's can outshoot many bolt guns out of the box. But I don't necessarily agree that they are a beginners gun either. With the short sight radius and sensitivity to head placement and pressures on the rifle, I think a bolt action rifle is more suited to a new shooter than an AR15.

I think .243 is the ideal caliber for the one rifle, new shooter. From targets, to varmints, to large game (where legal) this caliber is very versatile. And recoil is low.

My recommendation is a quality rifle in .243.

I know that BBIs mentioned a couple of models for Bolt Actions, is there something you guys recommend specifically?

Top Bottom