Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 27, 2010
    Sellersburg
    Hey guys
    Im looking to buy a high powered deer rifle
    I wont be using this in indiana
    but for the few occasions i go visit my in-laws down in arkansas :rockwoot:

i dont expect to use it very often so id like to stay on the cheaper end of the price price scale
    So my question is this....
    what all do you recommend?
    caliber?
    cheap optics? or iron sights?
    or should i just buy two guns for in one and buy an AR to be my cool gun and my hunting gun :ar15:?!?!?!?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i would look at a couple rifles.

1 being the tc venture. sub moa garenteed with factory ammo, 465ish new, adj trigger, recoil reducing stock

the other is a savage of some kind. roughly the same price no garentee but it will shoot good.

as far as cal id go with the 243. then you can use it as a indiana varmint gun aswell

id also get the best optics you can afford. optics are as important as the rifle.

if 2 seperate guns are a option i would say get one gun and do it up right with good optics

keith2210

Plinker
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    Id give a good look at a 243. I have a savage with accu trigger and i think its a good all around caliber. It can be loaded down for ground hogs or stick with 100 grain bullets for deer. For what you need it for i believe it would be a perfect caliber. As far as optics go i would look into redfield scopes. Nice price, made by leupold and best of all they are made in america.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    When I was 14, I shot my first deer in Wisconsin with a K98 Mauser that I bought mail order from a company in Chicago for less than 20 bucks. I'll bet you can't get them anymore...:D I say this because even a cheap Mosen Nagant will kill a deer. If cost of the rifle is your only issue, maybe that is a choice for you. The deer will never know what you shot it with.

I like the other guys responses about the 243 and I don't disagree with them, but the old 30-30 is also a viable choice too.

There is something to be said about showing up in Arkansas with a rifle that won't get sideways looks or outright laughter. Check with those guys about what they are using, IMO. It is always nice to fit in with the other guys... No matter what, I have never seen where a scoped rifle is absolutely needed for woodland deer.

(BTW, did I spell Mosen Nagant correctly?) It doesn't look right..

Last edited:

ironjaw

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Indy Northeast
    When I was 14, I shot my first deer in Wisconsin with a K98 Mauser that I bought mail order from a company in Chicago for less than 20 bucks. I'll bet you can't get them anymore...:D I say this because even a cheap Mosin Nagant will kill a deer. If cost of the rifle is your only issue, maybe that is a choice for you. The deer will never know what you shot it with.

I like the other guys responses about the 243 and I don't disagree with them, but the old 30-30 is also a viable choice too.

There is something to be said about showing up in Arkansas with a rifle that won't get sideways looks or outright laughter. Check with those guys about what they are using, IMO

(BTW, did I spell Mosin Nagant correctly?) It doesn't look right..

FIFY :rockwoot:

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    I am not a big fan of the .243 because I believe it does not have the energy for the larger Deer we see in some of the fields. I would go with a .270 or a 7x57. Over the 50 years I been hunting with a number of different rifles, they have seemed to be the best all round performance and easiest to shoot.

philagothon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    On the 7th step
    A 243 can deliver 1000+ ft/lbs past 300 yds with factory loads, whereas the 270 can reach out past 400 yds. Either should be sufficient. 270 can be found everywhere, 243 is a easier to practice with. Whichever you chose, make sure you practice enough to be proficient. If cost is an issue, consider the Savage Edge.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Will this rifle "only" be used on Arkansas deer?

What type of "country" will you be hunting in? (open vs forested vs scrub)

Do you currently hand load, or planning on starting?

Those above questions will help you determine an appropriate caliber. Something that I don't have much experience in at all.

As for the lead delivery vehicle: Probably the best value these days would be a Savage rifle with the Accutrigger. I've also heard good things about the Mossberg rifles.

Remember this, though: A good scope is worth the money. DO NOT skimp on the scope!

-J-

66chevelle

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    greenfield
    I may be wrong here but my wife has family in Arkansas and they always tell me about the big deer they kill being around 125-150lb field dressed. I have heard many of times from them that they wished there deer were as big as ours up here. So if this is true I would think a 243 would work great down there.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Agreed that the .243 would be A-OK on typical-sized Arkansas-sized deer...in open country.

Scrub land or in the woods, something a little heavier might help punch through scrub/brush.

If you handload, anything would work. Can run .30-'06 from mild to wild, same with .308. Factory loads are plentiful, too. Even here in IN. And .270 can always be found at Walmart. Not sure of bullet selection for the reloader in that category, though. But just like the .30-'06 parent, the .270 can be loaded from mild to wild.

-J-

kwood

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 27, 2010
    Sellersburg
    Will this rifle "only" be used on Arkansas deer?

What type of "country" will you be hunting in? (open vs forested vs scrub)

Do you currently hand load, or planning on starting?

Those above questions will help you determine an appropriate caliber. Something that I don't have much experience in at all.

As for the lead delivery vehicle: Probably the best value these days would be a Savage rifle with the Accutrigger. I've also heard good things about the Mossberg rifles.

Remember this, though: A good scope is worth the money. DO NOT skimp on the scope!

-J-

I will only hunt with it in arkansas yes
    i may sight her in here at a range though
    my in-laws property that they hunt on is hilly, wooded land with mild low brush
    i dont currently hand load, but im getting ready to start learning with a classic lee kit for 9mm
    ill probably move up from there

GLOCK1982

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 17, 2010
    PARKE CO.
    I WOULD GO WITH A 7MM REM MAG. IT REACHES WAY OUT THERE AND HAS BETTER DOWN RANGE STOPPING POWER THAN A .243, .270 OR A .300 WIN MAG. IT IS THE SUPERIOR ROUND FOR DISTANCE AND POWER.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    YOu have 3 real choices here in types for in-laws:

You want to fit in a little or impress your in-laws.

The marlin xl7 in 7-08: Cheap but needs optics, 7-08 is the perfect deer round or one of them, marlin stole ideas from everyone on this rifles making it a bargain rig with great features at a great price, Fits in with the no-debt mindset in-laws.
    www.GalleryOfGuns.com - Gun Genie - Davidson's most popular and powerful search engine to find and buy guns at galleryofguns.com

THe marlin/winchester 336 or 94: Used market is full of used 336 rifles at god prices: sub-400 dollar mark can get you a 336 in even the powerfull 35 rem round with a good scope and sling. Fits in with the country or hill folk in-laws, the more banjo music then more the lever action fits in. can't go wron with a 30-30 either but the 35 rem would give you the fit in and the wow it not even a 30-30.
    Marlin Model 336 35 Remington w/ Weaver Scope : Lever Action at GunBroker.com

The ar-10 /15 260 caliber upper. Duel use with your current lower, once again a near prefect deer round, cool tatical hunting factor, fits in well with the nearly vetted post nam era in-laws and tactical crowd not really in your price range unless you can justify the extra .
    Welcome to the DPMS Online Store — DPMS: AR-15 Rifles, Parts and Accessories.
    http://www.rrarms.com/catalog.php?prod=260-BA-24

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    A Winchester Model 70 would make a good gun. Especially if you can find a pre 1964 in good condition. Those were some well made beautiful firearms.

kwood

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 27, 2010
    Sellersburg
    You want to fit in a little or impress your in-laws.

The marlin xl7 in 7-08: Cheap but needs optics, 7-08 is the perfect deer round or one of them, marlin stole ideas from everyone on this rifles making it a bargain rig with great features at a great price, Fits in with the no-debt mindset in-laws.
    www.GalleryOfGuns.com - Gun Genie - Davidson's most popular and powerful search engine to find and buy guns at galleryofguns.com

THe marlin/winchester 336 or 94: Used market is full of used 336 rifles at god prices: sub-400 dollar mark can get you a 336 in even the powerfull 35 rem round with a good scope and sling. Fits in with the country or hill folk in-laws, the more banjo music then more the lever action fits in. can't go wron with a 30-30 either but the 35 rem would give you the fit in and the wow it not even a 30-30.
    Marlin Model 336 35 Remington w/ Weaver Scope : Lever Action at GunBroker.com

The ar-10 /15 260 caliber upper. Duel use with your current lower, once again a near prefect deer round, cool tatical hunting factor, fits in well with the nearly vetted post nam era in-laws and tactical crowd not really in your price range unless you can justify the extra .
    Welcome to the DPMS Online Store — DPMS: AR-15 Rifles, Parts and Accessories.
    http://www.rrarms.com/catalog.php?prod=260-BA-24

awesome
    thanks for the info and links

kwood

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 27, 2010
    Sellersburg
    i saw a nice winchester model 70 in .270 at the northside indy gander mountain this weekend

what does everyone think about .308?
    i was thinking about finding a winchester model 70 or remington 700 in 308
    any thoughts?

rpgoings

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    southside indy
    If you are looking for a good rifle to use I would go with the Remington 770 in 30/06 I bought one a few years ago for when we go to west virgina hunting it works great you can get it already set up with a scope from the factory the make it in diffrent caliburs priced well bradis guns has them $349 I have put lots of rounds threw mine and love it

Top Bottom