• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldbikelvr

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Bloomington, IN
    +1 for the revolver. A 4" revolver isn't hard to conceal and it is excellent for self defense. It is rare that you would ever need more than 6 rounds in a self defense situation, and I think they are the perfect first pistol.

gtrlspl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    South Bend
    Get what ever fits your hand the best.
    I agree with Indy here. I have seen a lot of people buy a gun that just doesn't fit their hand and have a terrible time trying to learn how to shoot it. Getting the proper grip can make all the difference when it comes to shooting. The wheel gun is a good choice for a first gun also tho... simple and reliable is often your best option.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Another advantage to the revolver, especially the GP100. If the grips on it don't fit your hand, you can change them to ones that do!

Have to side with Joe here. The grips on most revolvers, esp S&W, can be changed to give a comfortable fit to almost any hand size. I have K Frame Smiths that feel like completely different guns by changing the grips.

skeetman28

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    South Bend
    I would buy the highest capacity auto I could shoot well as concealment is not a factor...i'm not saying a revolver is not a god choice , but you are limited to the rnd. count syndrome...

trigger_happy57

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    indy
    i agree with colt556 start with a .357/.38 and then later maybe get you an xd but for some serious home defense try a taurus judge they make some killer buck shot for them the only problem is ammo is somewhat hard to come by and can be salty at times for the price

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    i agree with colt556 start with a .357/.38 and then later maybe get you an xd but for some serious home defense try a taurus judge they make some killer buck shot for them the only problem is ammo is somewhat hard to come by and can be salty at times for the price

You can use any .410 ammo with the Judge if you have to. We haven't had any problem Keeping the Federal handgun .410 ammo in stock, the buckshot round designed for personal defense. It's only about $13 per 20 IIRC, actually a lot cheaper than premium defensive ammo for other handguns.

The .45 Colt ammo the Judge can also shoot, OTOH, we haven't seen in months, and have no idea when we'll get any.

mandolin3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I agree with many of the others. Find a .357/.38 and grips that feel good for you. You just can't beat the "you can always count on me" factor of a revolver. Semi-autos are great, however, they are more prone to malfunctions, etc.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    If you can afford both, might as well get both because if you get the revolver in a .357/.38 you're going to want the semi before too long(not because they're bad) and if you get the semi, you'll need a revolver because everyone should have at least 1.

My first handgun was a S&W 686 4" .357/.38 and the only thing I didn't like about it was factory grips but when I bought it I mentioned that they were too small for my hands, they tossed in some grips and I love the way it fits me. After that I went with a Glock 27 with a +2(going to have to work the springs a bit or it'll be a +1) because it allowed a better grip on the gun.

I have more revolvers than semis. I think its 7 revolvers and 3 semis.

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    So, I am in the market for my first handgun. I have owned many rifles and shootguns but not any handguns. I have shot a few handguns and I know my gun saftey when it comes to handguns.

I have been looking for a while. Here recently my house was broke into and items stolen. I was not home at the time but it still reinforced to fact that I need some personal protection. I also would like a gun I can take to the range and get some target practice in. I am not a competitive shooter, I just enjoy a good afternoon shooting guns.

I have narrowed it down to two selections. First is the Springfield XD40. The other is the Ruger GP100. At first I wanted the Ruger but the more I look into it, the XD seems to be a more suited gun for what I am looking for.

So having never owning a revolver or a simi. I would like some input, pro's con's from someone who has owned both.

Thanks
    I just bought my first HG. The Mighty GP100 4" Stainless. I have had shotguns in the past to but this, this is a real beauty. I'm going to use colts advice in response to your post.
    I looked at a lot of reviews and took the advice of some very experienced fine people (many thanks fellas:cheers:) and glad I did. For your home, you could get the GP100.
    It's a fine piece of work and the warranty is unbeatable. You won't be sorry!

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Hmm. Lots of advice here. I'd agree that the revolver is more versatile in some ways than the semi-auto, and is more conducive to that pleasant "afternoon of shooting" that the OP enjoys. Semi-autos and revolvers each have their own strenghts, weaknesses, and idiosyncrasies.

However, what prompted the OP's desire for a primary handgun is self-defense against 2-legged varmints. In that role, as much of a soft spot as I have for revolvers (and the GP-100 in particular), IMHO a semi-auto is the better tool for that purpose (although I would not suggest the one that the OP is considering).

Semi-automatic handguns are not a fad. The pendulum of self-defense use will not be swinging back to favor revolvers - ever again - for good reasons - barring some artificial gov't action. Really. I'm not going to bother going into all the reasons and justifications here right now due to time and space constraints. I'd encourage the OP to research the revolver vs semi auto, or revolver vs pistol issue a bit (in the current context, not the context of the 80's). Research the current dynamics and characteristics of violent confrontations that are occuring out there. Then decide for yourself.

Does it ultimately matter though? You'll probably get hooked after you purchase your first handgun and it won't be your last. You'll eventually want and need one of each. ;) And you probably won't be disappointed with either.

(And this from a guy whose first centerfire handgun was a Ruger Security-Six in 357 :yesway: many moons ago.)

Last edited:

goldie89

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    i think you should go to the range with your choices and you should be able to make a decision than

Steeler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Clark county
    Oh man, just the thought of firing a 357 inside my house makes my head hurt. I know in a self defense situation it doesn`t matter, but damn theres something about the ear ringing factor of a 357!!
    If I had my choice of handguns to fire without hearing protection the 357 is dead last, that **** hurts.:):

cburnworth

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    i haven't owned a revolver, but I have had 2 semis in a 9 & a 40. you definitely want the longer barrel. my 9 had a 3" and my 40 has a 3 1/2". i am much more accurate with that extra 1/2" barrel. concealment is not an issue.

BulkAmmo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2010
    First Handgun

As the others have said if you feel more comfortable with a revolver then go for it. If you decide you want a semi-auto I would lean towards a 9mm as your first handgun. Stopping power is sufficient and it is easier to shoot and cheaper.

Either way you go the bug will bite you and you'll be picking up the one you skipped this turn. I would suggest you take a refresher course on safety, if this is your first firearm or if it's been awhile.

forklfteddie

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    i have owned several hand guns of all makers and one gun sticks in my head and thats the dreeded hi point c-9 that i love... had it for years under the seat of truck,in tackle box,on fridge,under matress and you know what it has never once misfired ,loaded or any malfunction what so ever..unbelievable amount of rounds down pipe an still accurate at a normal pistol range..no tac driver but you aint gettin away.....

forklfteddie

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    no one can tell you for sure till you find out how you shoot. can you handle the bigger cal. or should you state out with a smaller 22 to get the feel of a hand gun. i think everyone should try out several kinds of pistol before making a purchase, that is if one has the chance to..most people that have rifles and hunt have friends with hand guns, ask one of them to allow you to maybe handle or even shoot one.. this will give you a feel of the different types of hand guns...

chevy2

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2010
    I have bought and sold countless hand guns over the years but the one that has never gotten away from me is my first.The S&W 4 inch modle 19 that I picked up in 1978 will always be one of my favorites.

Top Bottom