Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    My wife and I just received our LTCH's and we are shopping for best options for carry. We have been told to look for low maintenance, revolver, lightweight, hammerless, .38. Possibly Ruger LCR or S&W 442. Any suggestions and/or advice? Thanks.

Snubbies are easy to carry and difficult to shoot well. Having the gun with you when you need it is important, but being able to hit what you are shooting at is just as important.

ACT has helped a few people try out guns before they buy them. If you are near Greencastle I am willing to let you try several guns before you go buy something.

Then when you are ready we would love to help you with some training. PM me if you are interested. Try several things before you buy anything. I prefer semi autos to revolvers.

dcary7

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    East Coast
    I would shoot as many handguns as possible. Don't do what I did and purchase your first handgun on a whim without really doing your homework just for the sake of having a gun. Yeah it was an ok first gun, but when I wanted to upgrade.. i ended up losing out over 100$ after selling it, and I really had no need to keep it. So my mentality now is don't buy a gun unless it is one you're sure you're going to keep. (or unless you find a really good deal on a gun you can turn a profit on) Everyone is different and has a different preference. I would not buy a gun without having shot that model before. And as stated before, you two may not like the same gun. More than likely it would be best for the two of you to purchase your own guns that suite you individually. But if you compulsively buy, or just buy a gun "because its affordable at the time" you will regret it.

wanderer32

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    South, Louisiana
    All dependent upon the person but I usually recommend a medium weight 357 magnum double action revolver for a first time owner.

Reason 1. A 357 Revolver can start on light 38's then go heavy 38's then 38 +p's and when ready can jump on some 357's light in the beginning then hotter loads later and these have some stopping power. It is a gun a person can grow into and 2 or 3 people can use with different loads.

Reason 2. Most 357 magnums have a little weight to them to hold down the the gun jump when fired and the material is strong enough they will take any 38 shell and if keeping with 38's and medium 357's will never wear the gun out.

Reason 3. The revolver can be dry fired with no bullets so a person can get plenty of pointing and trigger pulling action around the house and backyard, This builds familiarity and confidence with the weapon that will need to be used if a Self defense situation ever arises.(Definitely double check and triple check the gun is empty before pointing and shooting for practice) Buying a gun for self defense especially when it is new is no good if you are not comfortable or familiar with your weapon. So handle, inspect fire, aim, play with and cherish your new best buddy.

Reason 4. A revolver is simple to maintain, operate, and clean. An automatic is more complex, more working parts, more can go wrong and they are harder to clean.

Reason 5. If a revolver is loaded, pull the trigger it will fire, if it doesn't, pull the trigger again it will fire. An automatic, pull the trigger if 1 in the chamber it should fire, if it doesn't, OH S--t!! WHat now!! RACK it back and pull the trigger. This is why I say get familiar with what ever you choose, there is no time to think about those 3 short sentences if in a self defense situation.

So I stick with the recommend revolver for first weapon and if any left over get a cheap 22 auto to plink with and get familiar with FTF and FTL's
    Go handle many, shoot different types if possible and please choose wisely and honestly not just with gun lust over a pretty frame.

Good luck in your venture

Last edited:
    Top Bottom