• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • batmunch

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Hey guys, as the title says, I'm looking to purchase my first handgun. A little background on what I'm looking for:
    • 9mm
    • potential CCW
    • relatively inexpensive

I've been looking at the Glock 19 and the M&P 9c but I'm open to hearing arguments regarding other 9mm handguns as well. I'd appreciate any help/guidance/advice that you guys could offer me.

Thanks!

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    As others have said, we live in blessed times as gun and prospective gun owners. There are lots of good options to choose from and many of them are very good. Just stick with a "name brand" like Smith, Glock, Springfield, Walther, etc. and you'll probably be alright. All the arguments you'll hear are going to mostly be based on personal preference, so pick the one YOU like.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    As others have said, we live in blessed times as gun and prospective gun owners. There are lots of good options to choose from and many of them are very good. Just stick with a "name brand" like Smith, Glock, Springfield, Walther, etc. and you'll probably be alright. All the arguments you'll hear are going to mostly be based on personal preference, so pick the one YOU like.

This is correct.

Also, if it is going to be MORE as a CCW, then consider the single stack 9mm options (Shield, Glock 43, XDS, Nano, Walther PPS, etc)
    Being thinner by 1/4" or more makes a gun MUCH easier to conceal. I know it doesn't sound like much.

Now for my personal preference...
    -- If it's MOSTLY CCW and also a bedside gun, then you can't go wring with the S&W Shield (can be found for $350 on sale). This gives you money for ammo, holster, training, etc.
    -- If it's MOSTLY a bedside/range/fun gun that might occasionally be carried, then a Glock 19 is hard to beat. ($450-500 used, $550-600 new)

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    ... as a follow-up, you may also consider revolvers.
    They are fantastic tools and have a simple interface and are generally less prone to malfunction (not error-proof, but by not using a magazine that eliminates some percentage of possible errors)

Ruger LCR, Sp101, GP100 (in order from smallest to biggest) are all great
    S&W has tons of options... depending on weight and capacity it all depends on what you want. A 3" 686 would work as a (heavy) CCW, and fantastic as a bedside gun. (640 pro, 638, etc are great j-frame options for more concealed carry usage).
    I like revolvers because they are simple to use. If I heard a bump in the night, I could easily hand my fullsize revolver to my wife - not a 'gun person' by her own definition - and she has no trouble operating it (no safeties, no magazine release that might get bumped, etc).

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    I have carried many different types of handguns and many different sizes but after all of that a G19 goes with me just about everywhere this days.

batmunch

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Hamilton County
    ... as a follow-up, you may also consider revolvers.

Thank you for that tidbit, I actually hadn't even thought about revolvers. Although I think I've read somewhere that when it comes to revolvers, they are a little bit harder to conceal due to the extra width. Is that true?

I have carried many different types of handguns and many different sizes but after all of that a G19 goes with me just about everywhere this days.

If you don't mind, can you tell me what it is about the G19 that you like so much over other handguns?

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    [Insert plug for Ruger SR9c here]

What you choose will ultimately come down to personal choice, but I highly recommend you add the Ruger SR9c to your list of firearms to check out.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    You owe it to yourself to at least take a look at the M&P Shield. I carry handguns of all sizes, but since I picked up my first Shield, it has become my most carried gun. Why? Simply put, it shoots better tahn it should for its size and it carries more comfortably than anything I own with the exception of my Ruger LCP.

This...

batmunch

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Hamilton County
    You owe it to yourself to at least take a look at the M&P Shield. I carry handguns of all sizes, but since I picked up my first Shield, it has become my most carried gun. Why? Simply put, it shoots better tahn it should for its size and it carries more comfortably than anything I own with the exception of my Ruger LCP.

Thanks! I'll definitely have to check it out.

Lil Bob

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    Crown Point, Indiian
    If you have friends or relatives that own pistols ask to go shooting with them and try out a bunch of different pistols. This way you can find one that you like and that you think you shoot well. Glock, S&W, H&K, Walther, Colt, Ruger, etc all make a fine pistol, it just comes down to preference. I usually carry a Glock 19, or a Shield, but I like shooting my H&K VP9 a lot more, but the G19 conceals better.

indybrownsfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Mooresville
    I also have a Shield...I recommend a shooting range that rents handguns ..that way you can get a feel for many different guns before you purchase.
    I have 3 different handguns 2 9mm and a 40 cal.....Shield is a single stack gun that has a great feel....FNH FNS 9 and FNH FNX40...both bigger guns...Try before you buy.

batmunch

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Hamilton County
    I think I might go over to Point Blank in Carmel and rent some guns and test out the pistols mentioned in previous comments. Thank you guys so much for the advice and suggestions!

dooshie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Indy
    I say go to a place like gander mountain or a Cabela's and hand fit every pistol you mentioned in your thread and find the one that fits best to you and then go from there.

cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    I personally think either of these three are nice options given the requirements.

Glock 19
    Glock 42 or 43
    HK VP9

I own all three... love them all equally, and thats saying a lot as I hate plastic pistols.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    Indy 1500 is coming up.
    Great place to fondle guns 'til your hearts content.

If you want 1 "do it all" gun... it's the Glock 19.

Truth is, You'll end up owning at least 5-6 handguns and a couple rifles in the next few years and you'll look back at the mindset you had when you started down this path and chuckle to yourself...
    Don't sweat your first choice too hard. Just buy one and get going down the path...

Last edited:
    Top Bottom