• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Have more semi-autos than revolvers, but I love my Ruger Blackhawk .45LC/.45ACP. Hits whatever you point it at. :draw:

Have a Ruger SP101 as well; it's also a good gun, but I prefer single actions, be they wheel or autoloader.

smiley69_300

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Ripley County
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I will keep them in mind. After some research I think we are leanin towards Rugers or Taurus. If we buy one tommorrow you guys will def be the first to know!

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    For HD and carry here are my top recommendations:

Revolvers:
    Ruger SP101 3" .357 Magnum (for strictly home defense I would have said GP100, but it's a big gun to carry, even a little. I have a 2.25" for carry, but the 3" helps quite a bit with ballistic performance)
    S&W Model 66 3"

Autos:
    Glock 19 or 23 If this is the perfect size gun I don't know what is, but instead I have instead a...
    Springfield XD-9 or XD-40 4" or 3" (the subcompact is easier to carry)
    S&W M&P 9mm or .40 (The compant is ~same size as Glock 19)
    Glock 27 or 27 with the pinky extension fits the hand very well

If you're on a tighter budget...
    Ruger P-series (too chunky for carry for me)
    S&W Sigma series
    Ruger Security/Service/Speed Six in 2.5" 3" or 4" barrel -- the 4" is a bit large for carry
    Taurus Autos and Revolvers

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I will keep them in mind. After some research I think we are leanin towards Rugers or Taurus. If we buy one tommorrow you guys will def be the first to know!
    If you like revolvers, then there is nothing wrong with buying one for your first gun.
    I am partial to the GP100, myself.
    I'd avoid Taurus, though. Even though the price may be attractive, it's worth a few extra bucks to get a quality revolver like a Ruger or S&W, or even a used Ruger or S&W.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    If you like revolvers, then there is nothing wrong with buying one for your first gun.
    I'd avoid Taurus, though. Even though the price may be attractive, it's worth a few extra bucks to get a quality revolver like a Ruger or S&W, or even a used Ruger or S&W.

My father has owned many models, and cailbers of Taurus revolvers. He has never had a problem with any of them. Are there better makes, and models yes. However with the OP being new to firearms, that's why I reccomended the Taurus. They are quality firearms.

rcflyer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Don't "avoid" Taurus Revolvers. They are quality guns and priced correctly. My Taurus shoots just as well as the ones that cost twice as much or more and I have never had a malfunction of any kind. It is also very accurate. Service is slow at the factory, but they do quality work. and they have a lifetime warranty. Best caliber for CCW or Home defense is .357/.38.

one more

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I posted a while ago about buying my first gun. I have talked to my brother-in-law who is a LEO. He said thah he thinks a revolver would be a good first gun. The wife and I are going to a gun show in Salem, IN tommorrow. Just wondering ifyou guys had any ideas on revolvers?

*Have an update. We went to the gun show in Salem, Indiana. We bought a brand new Taurus .357. I loved the way it felt in my hands. I am so pumped I cant wait to go shoot it tommorrow.*

Hello smiley69_300,
    If you are happy with the Taurus and the price you got it for then you are a winner :yesway:. My first revolver was a Taurus .22 and it is a great 22. How does yours shoot? :draw:Let us all know!
    one more

smiley69_300

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Ripley County
    Finally I figured it out!! Here we go. This is my new baby. I am going my father-in-law's tommorrow to shoot it.

picture.php

picture.php

JD31

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2008
    If you are just going to use it for home defense. I reccomend getting a .357 magun caliber. By doing this, you can also fire the lighter load .38 cailber rounds. I would reccomend getting something in a 4" barrel.

This was the advice I received about my first handgun purchase. I bought mine used, and once I put the lighter 38 Special rounds in, I enjoyed using it.

So +1 to this.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Finally I figured it out!! Here we go. This is my new baby. I am going my father-in-law's tommorrow to shoot it.
    It looks great smiley69_300, thanks for the pic so we can have a look. :yesway:
    Did you make over to the Father-In-Laws today to try it out?:draw: Let us know :ingo: minds want too now. :D

one more
    Yeah he started another thread. didn't turn out so good.

Top Bottom