• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    To expand on my above comment, here's my dilemma. I work in Gary and would really like to carry a gun, especially in the car back and forth to Crown Point. However, I am not allowed to carry on site at my workplace. Do I a) carry anyway and risk my job? b) leave the gun in the car and risk my car being stolen or broken into? or c) just don't take it to work.

There is or was a small safe with a cable where you could lock a gun in the car and not worry about the gun getting in the wrong hands. Can someone help me out with if this is still for sale?

other dave

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Howard County
    Listed in handgun section is a vintage Smith Wesson model 30 with a 3" barrel. I think it's a J or I frame in .32 SW Long caliber. It's in really nice condition and would make a perfect ladies carry handgun. Small, light weight and easy to handle.
    And that just happens to be YOUR model 30 in the classifieds. Imagine that.
    BTW if your model 30 is a "no dash" it is an I frame. The 1st engineering change "dash 1" was the change from I frame to J frame.

nebulous

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2013
    Indianapolis
    A friend bought a Ruger SP101 as her first gun because she felt the extra weight of it would result in reduced felt recoil. In the end it was a little heavy for her so she bought a S&W J frame and enjoyed shooting that one more.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    My niece has an SP101 with the Crimson trace grip on it. She has been carrying it for a few years now and loves it. I would recommend laser grips for any small pocket pistol with short radius sights. Shooting from the hip I am more accurate than using the sights on her gun.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    To expand on my above comment, here's my dilemma. I work in Gary and would really like to carry a gun, especially in the car back and forth to Crown Point. However, I am not allowed to carry on site at my workplace. Do I a) carry anyway and risk my job? b) leave the gun in the car and risk my car being stolen or broken into? or c) just don't take it to work.

For work do you park in a public place and a bad neighborhood? Is it not a good place to leave valuables? Indiana law states that is legal to have your gun locked in your car while at work on company property.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    It's not a great area. There have been car break-ins and a couple of robberies in the parking lot. I'm thinking I might just take my chances and carry.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    If I had to get rid of .38's and .357's the SP101 would be one of the last two to go.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    It's not a great area. There have been car break-ins and a couple of robberies in the parking lot. I'm thinking I might just take my chances and carry.

I'm getting an idea why you want to carry to work. You ladies have a major advantage over us with that purse being used for carrying purposes.

Most work places have those rules about guns being in the building, I think its more for insurance reasons than any other reasons or from being sued if anything goes wrong. I've heard this before "you could have prevented it if you would have..."

My suggestion would be to take some classes on concealed carry so you get it right the first time. Seen some great carry purses advertised that makes the gun really easy to get to and hides it well and secure. If that's what want to do but for legal purposes I am not suggesting you do anything illegal and the classes will help with that knowledge.

Last edited:

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    Only experience Ive had with ruger revolvers is amazingly positive. A few years ago I snatched up a like new ruger speed six. It was built like a tank and simple to maintain and work on. Very well thought designs ruger puts out and if I ever get another revolver id get a ruger revolver. I would recommend a ruger revolver for your purchase.

Hoosier Gal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2013
    NE
    @Snapdragon - Did you decide on which one yet? If not, I did shoot a Ruger sp101 a few weeks ago. It was a 4". I could handle it ok. I don't have any problems with my s&W snubbie. I didn't even know that beginners weren't suppose to buy snubs (until I visit the forums and read the opinions). But, you know what, the more you practice with it the better you get! Just practice, practice, practice. The 4" would be good for carrying too if you wanted a longer barrel.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Hoosier Gal-- I ended up with an LCR. I really wanted something small enough to CC. I got it Monday and have taken it to the range twice. This target was my first time shooting it (7yds). Not perfect, but looks like I can handle it OK and I'll get better with practice.

target1.jpg

Hoosier Gal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2013
    NE
    Hoosier Gal-- I ended up with an LCR. I really wanted something small enough to CC. I got it Monday and have taken it to the range twice. This target was my first time shooting it (7yds). Not perfect, but looks like I can handle it OK and I'll get better with practice.

View attachment 24350

That's Great! I have heard to practice with the 38 special and +p, then work your way up to the 357. But, that you wouldn't want to shoot too much 357 ammo through it due to the recoil. I dunno though, I've only shot 357 at training and it was great! Of course it was with a bigger s&w, not a snubby. Good luck! Are you planning on a training course? I'd recommend it. I learned a lot from the instructor.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I took my NRA First Steps course earlier this week. I am using mostly .38 spl for practice, and plan to keep .38 spl +P hollowpoints in it for protection. I might try some .357 in it some time, but the +P's should be sufficient.

I've shot a few bigger .357's at the range, and I probably will get one to keep in the nightstand, and then just use the LCR for carrying.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Glad to read ya pulled the trigger, ha-ha.

One thing I do to help train for trigger control is get a bore-sight laser and WITH gun unloaded. Use laser and pick a spot on wall, focus and pull trigger. Then watch the dot move all over the spot on wall. This will help very much with trigger control, confidence and save ammo. Then when you can pull trigger and dot doesn't move you it figured out grip and finger placement. Keep posting results ans updates.

Like your quote BTW.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    That's Great! I have heard to practice with the 38 special and +p, then work your way up to the 357. But, that you wouldn't want to shoot too much 357 ammo through it due to the recoil. I dunno though, I've only shot 357 at training and it was great! Of course it was with a bigger s&w, not a snubby. Good luck! Are you planning on a training course? I'd recommend it. I learned a lot from the instructor.

What training course did you take? You should post who it was, what you learned, and how you felt about the course over in the Tactics and Training forum (if you haven't already).

Top Bottom