• ...and so much more!
  • Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I'm looking for a revolver for home protection and occasional carry. Something big enough to cut down on kick, but small enough for a purse or pocket if necessary. I'm leaning toward the SP101 5720 DAO. Any thoughts for/against, or any other suggestions?

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The first factory new handgun I ever bought was an SP101. It was the 3" hammer model. Comfortable size to shoot, pretty accurate, 100% dependable. It was a little heavy for concealed carry, but not bad. I do not think you can go wrong. Enjoy it.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I generally try to steer folks away from snubbies for their first gun. They are hard guns to learn to shoot well, or at least harder than a full sized gun. Short sight radius, marginal sights, heavy trigger, long trigger reset, etc. If you're set on an SP101, the 3" will be a bit easier to shoot.

Something like the Shield is easier to learn to shoot better faster, is lighter, and is approximately the same size. The cost is about the same, you get more capacity, you get a longer sight radius, you get usable sights, you get a lighter trigger, etc.

If possible, go to a range (or a well stocked friend) and shoot a few different guns to see what fits your hand, what trigger system you like, and go from there.

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    One of the beautiful aspects of a SA/DA is you can half the trigger pull by cocking it if you desire.

The Sp 101 is a durable little workhorse. We have the 2.25"; wish we would have gotten the 3".

This was also my first production pistol purchase.

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    One of the beautiful aspects of a SA/DA is you can half the trigger pull by cocking it if you desire.

Which is fine at the range, but not something one should plan for in a self defense situation as you won't be cocking the hammer between each shot, and probably not before the first shot.

357 Terms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Between SB and FT.W
    I love my DAO 2.25 sp 101, it's my EDC.

I carry it appendix IWB and forget about it.

I have never pocket carried the hefty little sucker so I cant comment about that (or purse carry either):)

If you plan on pocket carry you have much better choices, at 25 ounces you will need a good belt, or suspenders.

An LCR, airweight Smith 38, or as mentioned a Shield, a Sig 938......look some more.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    LCR is the other one I'm strongly considering. I don't know if I want to sacrifice accuracy for convenience. I'd love to get it with Crimson Trace, but that's getting a little out of my price range.

I haven't actually shot anything yet, but since my work/school schedule is crazy busy for the next couple of weeks, I'm just trying to do as much homework as I can first.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Although the previous comments cover most of the territory, I would add:

1. A good smith can solve the excessively heavy triggers which seem to plague snubbies (unless you feel confident ordering new springs and installing them yourself).

2. Stay away from the polymer/titanium snubbies. They may ride better, but physics dictates that they will be more punishing to fire which could lead you to hesitate when you shouldn't.

3. While the previously mentioned criticism of the sights found on snubbies is correct, I would balance that fact with the fact that you are not buying it to use for a sniper rifle. Most likely the threat will be close enough that less than ideal sights will be an easy issue to overcome, especially if you practice with some regularity. Then again, as you said, there are always lasers, although I recommend against relying exclusively upon a device subject to dead batteries and/or other failures.

4. The only way, as previously stated, to make a sound decision is to put fingerprints on guns and put lead downrange.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    Snapdragon, welcome to INGO...

As too your question, I carry a 2 inch Ruger SP101 daily. The gun is hard to beat for it's intended purpose of self protection. It is a bit heavy which makes it much more pleasant to shoot but requires a carry method that supports the gun's weight. The LCR is much easier to carry as a pocket carry but harder to manage recoil. If you want to fire a SP101 in multiple barrel lengths, both double action only and not along with the LCR, plus I can add a couple other options to test also from a J frame smith to the N frame smiths let me know. I am local to Crown Point and will make the time to meet up with you at a local firing range if you like.

One of the most important things you can do with making this purchase and trying to become ready to defend yourself by purchasing a firearm is to get some training with it. At the very least test fire what you want before purchasing it and get the basic safety down before bringing it into your home. These are wonderful tools but all tools require training to use them safely for both the operator and all those loved ones around them.

Since your post count is down I don't beleive you will be able to PM me. If your interested in my offer post on here and I'll get you a public email address to hit me back at...

Good luck on your journey...

deviljunkie

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Grandview
    depending on how much " occasional carry" is id say a gp 100. great for home defense, great for range use. probably not ideal for carry though. in that regard sp101 is better

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    Noblesville
    Ruger SP 101 would be a great gun for the home. I'd go with a 3" barrel for accuracy and longer sight radius. It's a little long for the purse but if you do carry concealed make sure you put it in a holster which covers the trigger. You'll like the ability to switch from double action to single action by cocking the hammer. For concealed carry take a look at the Ruger LCR in 38 caliber. It has a very smooth trigger and is concealable. Stay away from Smith & Wesson Airweights because the recoil is very strong and therefore they are hard to be accurate with.

sliptap

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I generally try to steer folks away from snubbies for their first gun. They are hard guns to learn to shoot well, or at least harder than a full sized gun. Short sight radius, marginal sights, heavy trigger, long trigger reset, etc. If you're set on an SP101, the 3" will be a bit easier to shoot.

Something like the Shield is easier to learn to shoot better faster, is lighter, and is approximately the same size. The cost is about the same, you get more capacity, you get a longer sight radius, you get usable sights, you get a lighter trigger, etc.

If possible, go to a range (or a well stocked friend) and shoot a few different guns to see what fits your hand, what trigger system you like, and go from there.

This is excellent advice. I would also steer you away from an SP101 and rather towards a 9mm. My father owns a SP101 and they are fun guns to shoot...at the range. If you've never shot before, I'd bet $20 that you will not like the recoil of this gun.

I think you're better off with a slim, single-stack 9mm. 9mm generally perform better than a 38 special for self defense. I would also argue that pocket autos have less recoil than airlight revolvers, as the action of a semi-auto takes up more of the recoil where a revolver has no such moving action. I personally think a Shield or Kahr CM9/CW9 would have a way better trigger and more ammunition to work with as well.

Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    I like the idea of your first gun being a revolver. I bet most of the over 50 crowd on INGO started with a revolver. A .357 magnum loaded with 38 specials is one of the easiest guns to shoot in the world. Since you are thinking old school, why not look at older used Rugers or Smiths. I just got a Ruger police service six for $300. Here's a picture.
    q001.jpg

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    The SP101 is a gun you'll own for life. I've bobbed the hammer for folks who only want it to be DA, but they can be purchased that way as well.

I haven't liked the LCR since it was introduced. At the Shot Show introduction a few years back, every single LCR was broken by the second day of the show.

You can use the SP101 as a hammer all day, then shoot it later in the evening. It would get my vote.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Thanks, everyone. Lots to think about. I do think I'm going to go with a revolver. I'll check out one or both of the gun shows next weekend and maybe get a better feel for what I'm looking for.

Gunbunnies, thanks for the offer. I may take you up on it after the holidays.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    As far as too large for purse carry, my wife carries a service six 2.75" in her purse fairly regularly. As far as the argument that the snubby is difficult to learn to shoot, that is very subjective, and narrow-minded. My wife shoots several different pistols, among them an LCR (arguably one of the more difficult snubbies to shoot because of the low weight) She shoots that little revolver loaded with +P 38 specials as well as any of her auto pistols, and she is self described as a novice when it comes to pistol marksmanship.

The OPs thought on an SP101 would be a solid choice, from a reliability, and shoot ability standpoint. There are few small revolvers out there built as solid as a ruger, and the added weight of an all steel frame will help absorb recoil. Going with a 3" barrel, as a few have suggested, would add just a small but more weight out front, making it even more controllable, all while giving a little more sight radius to ease the learning curve of a small revolver.

Sounds like the OP has done a bit of research, and made a very educated choice before ever putting the question out for public opinion. If its a first time with a handgun, I would start out with standard (non +P) target loads, and when comfortable with it, work up to full power SD type loads.

My personal preference has been toward Smith revolvers (when talking DA), but my wife has been an avid Ruger fan since the first one she ever shot, and even with a well rounded selection of carry pistols that are all hers, she still leans toward her smaller revolvers because of the ease of operation, and her comfort when shooting them.

Wysko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2012
    Indy, West Side.
    The sp101 is heavy for a .38 snub but that extra weight + great grip design make it easy on the hand. Start out with low recoil ammo and work up. The 147 grain target wad cutter is a joy to shoot. My .38 LCR is a bit too snappy so I dont shoot it as much.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    2. Stay away from the polymer/titanium snubbies. They may ride better, but physics dictates that they will be more punishing to fire which could lead you to hesitate when you shouldn't.

I'll have to contradict this when it comes to polymer, at least in the LCR. Grips make a lot of difference, and the gel insert Hogue Recoil Tamer grips the LCR comes with live up to their name. I find the felt recoil to be significantly less than a steel revolver with exposed steel and wood stocks or a hard rubber grip. I can easily run a box of 158 gr +P through it without any reddening or stinging, compared to my Taurus UL where after 15 rounds I was done.

Top Bottom