• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Unfortunately, I am now divorced and do not get as much time with him as I would like...and I get the feeling that when he is with his mom, she is not "helping". She was not an anti when I was with her, but she recently made it known that she did not even want my son to have "toy" guns.

This could be brought up in court how you are purchasing a 4.5 year old guns...might not be good should there be a looming court case involving your parenting time, from your post it appears she has custody. Depending on how vindictive your wife may be, this could get used against you. I am not sure how a judge would see this, even if the boy doesn't have access to the firearm except when being supervised. :twocents:

mshogren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 20, 2010
    Arcadia
    This could be brought up in court how you are purchasing a 4.5 year old guns...might not be good should there be a looming court case involving your parenting time, from your post it appears she has custody. Depending on how vindictive your wife may be, this could get used against you. I am not sure how a judge would see this, even if the boy doesn't have access to the firearm except when being supervised. :twocents:

If I were to get anything, my son would not "own" it. It would just be another "gun" in the house stored and used like the other guns. So I really don't see how it would be any different than having any other gun...

Mark

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I bought my daughter a pink cricket .22 for Christmas when she was 4.5. No regrets.

After learning to shoot in the summer, we bought my son a Black/SS cricket for Christmas when he was 6.5. Looking back at the pic...he looks pretty tiny!

He still shoots it now and then. Peep sights and young eyes, he's spot on.

22 cricket! I have 2 of them for my grandkids!
    Got a Cricket for my grand kids they loved it. Great training rifle if YOU feel your 4 1/2 year old can handle it they are only a single shot he cant go crazy with it. A few years ago I let my then 6 year old grand son shoot both my AR 15 and my Mauser. Set it up on a bench rest and sat right next to him and he did fine! But for some reason he did not want to shoot the Mauser more than once. ;) But he kept asking can I shoot the black gun again grandpa? I of course obliged him. Kept just about all his shots on paper at 50yrds! :ar15:

Taylorz71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Central IN
    I bought a .22 Cricket for my son when he was 6. Shooting that gun cured some curiosity and gave me a real good chance to emphasize safety. He is 10 now and hunted with a Junior size 20 ga with me last fall. Now he has shot all of my guns except the 12 GA. Sometimes I think real guns are better to teach safety with because of the noise etc. Good luck to you.

mshogren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 20, 2010
    Arcadia
    Well, here is my plan for now...

I get my son this weekend, so I think we will head over to Walmart and pick up the Daisy Buck BB gun and some targets. It will give me a chance to use up some leftover BBs I had from a project. :)

Come Christmas time, I think it might be time to look for a Cricket...but we will see how it goes with the BB gun first. At least it will make some noise, just not as much as a real gun.

Mark

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    If I were to get anything, my son would not "own" it. It would just be another "gun" in the house stored and used like the other guns. So I really don't see how it would be any different than having any other gun...

Mark
    :yesway: Go to Walmart and spend $10-$15 on an airsoft for you! Look for one that is the same size and has a similar "sight picture" to one of the real guns you enjoy shooting at the range. I have an airsoft target set up in my great room. I practice with it a lot and the practice does carry over quite well. It is the cheapest shooting you will ever do!

It is fine to let your little boy try it. Just control the setting and train him to obey all the gun safety rules!

Top Bottom