• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mshogren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 20, 2010
    Arcadia
    It seems my son has taken a liking to my guns and I am ready to move him up from his little Nerf gun.

So the question is, what do I get him at this age?

I have never personally done the "air-soft" thing so I don't know anything about them...and it has been a few years since I had a bb gun.

I saw an air-soft rifle and pistol combo at Walmart for $30 and thought that might be a good start. They also had a smaller size bb rifle that looked like a good option too.

What did you get your kids at this age? Any suggestions?

Thanks for the input.

Mark

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Long BB guns here to be followed by a 22 when they can physically hold the rifle properly to shoot. This will be followed by a 586 BB gun, then a trainer 22 and on to 38.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    As an uncle to five boys, BTDT.:D

I would look at the Savage Cub or the Marlin 15YN.

The CZ 452 Scout is very attractive as well. In fact I like it so much that I bought one for me.

Use CB Longs.

4.5 is awfully young. Better to wait too long than go too soon. I was too early with handguns.

mshogren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 20, 2010
    Arcadia
    4.5 is awfully young. Better to wait too long than go too soon. I was too early with handguns.

I know he is still young, but he has a good interest now. I want to cultivate that interest so he can have a life long enjoyment of firearms.

Unfortunately, I am now divorced and do not get as much time with him as I would like...and I get the feeling that when he is with his mom, she is not "helping". She was not an anti when I was with her, but she recently made it known that she did not even want my son to have "toy" guns.

My son enjoys watching daddy shoot his guns, but does get bored quickly. So I wanted to get him something so he can partake in the fun directly...

Mark

Osobuco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    I know he is still young, but he has a good interest now. I want to cultivate that interest so he can have a life long enjoyment of firearms.

He is a boy. He will be interested in guns no matter what - so no need to cultivate in that regard. At least that has been my experience with boys.

Rocket57

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    In denial
    He is a boy. He will be interested in guns no matter what - so no need to cultivate in that regard. At least that has been my experience with boys.

This^^^

My son would turn a chicken wing into a gun. I would wait a couple years before putting a 'real' gun into his hands, airsoft, BB, or otherwise. Plus you don't need to feed the mother's anti-gun sentiment when he is this young. The courts probably would frown upon it in a custody battle.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I started my son shooting last year at age 6. Even a 10/22 Compact with collapsible stock is too much for him and he is a really big kid for his age. Bought him a Thomson Center HotShot. Very nice little gun, light, short, comes with a spacer for the stock, single shot, peep sights. I think the pistol grip style stocks are easier for the youngsters. He is getting pretty good with it.

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    I'd personally wait another year or so, but that's me.

I started with a BB gun when I was about 6 and Dad took me to a Daisy BB training class before/when I got it. He actually started taking me hunting with him when I got my BB gun--like I was actually going to shoot something--but it got me comfortable with carrying and hunting safety. When I was 8, he got me a single shot 410 and at 13, he gave me his Ithaca 37 Featherlight 12Ga.

Point being, I don't know that a 4.5 year old is ready. My cousins and I grew up around long guns and hunting. :twocents:

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 14, 2010
    air soft would be a great idea to get him learning. especially the cheaper ones. they aren't powerful enough to do more than sting a bit (outside of an eye shot), but they're fairly similar in function to their real life counterparts, so great for learning the basics at that young of an age. plus, you can shoot them in the basement or garage of your house with no risk of damage. I plan on moving my son to airsoft after nerf and before BB guns.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Folding stock SKS he'll love it!!! Maybe hold back on the ammo until he's at least 5 though. I got a Daisy BB gun when I was real young, maybe same age but couldn't cock it, would get my older sister to do it then shot at birds with it like a bazooka, it was too long so I had to put the stock on my shoulder......hmmmm....an then I would become a Dragon Gunner in the Army....destiny??? I was shooting a bow with the suction cup arrows before that....I recommed that first, you actually see your arrow (bullet) an how it goes an if you (your son) hits someone or something he isn't suppose to, he learns from those mistakes, yes they can brake things! I think archery even those little bows can really teach a youth about how rifles an bullets work...I started my boys out with the little bows.....just got to watch an evaluate how they are doing.....in my case in the 60's Dad just got you something an you learned the hard way....lol

mshogren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 20, 2010
    Arcadia
    I agree he is too young for a "real" gun of any kind.

I am wanting to move him up to something with real sights so he can start learing to aim. The nerf guns I got him are crap in that regards. I also want to instill the basics in gun handling early.

I am thinking that waiting a year or more for a BB gun is appropriate. Still leaning toward trying a cheap low power air-soft to start with this summer. He will ALWAYS be directly supervised anytime he touches it. It will be stored where he is not able to get to it on his own.

Great input so far...keep it coming...

Mark

mshogren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 20, 2010
    Arcadia
    DragonGunner: Might have to try a bow and arrow as well. Got a really crappy one at a carnival that would not even launch the arrow at all...will have to keep an eye out for the suction cup variety.

Mark

BDBHoover

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2011
    Northside Indianapolis
    There are all kinds of airsoft weapons available..... but you really can't go wrong with a BB gun.... the do have soft plastic BBs for sale as well as the metal ones.... I personally would say get him a shorter style spring loaded BB gun and a ton of the plastic BBs until he is about 5-6 then move him up to the metal BBs.... once he reaches about 7-8.... Co2 pellet is the route to go so that he can learn aiming with a small amount of recoil involved.... Co2 shots have about 1/8 the recoil of a .22LR so after he gets comfortable with that..... you can see the pattern here ;).... but anyway its good to hear a father taking that kind of interest in his child..... good for you and good luck in your junior weapons training..... :twocents: :ar15:

mshogren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 20, 2010
    Arcadia
    I was wondering if they had plastic/rubber BBs...was looking at the store and did not notice them, but will have to look harder now. Might be leaning toward the smaller BB rifle now...

Mark

nsenneking

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2011
    Ballstown
    i started shooting my older brother's red rider bb gun when i was four. my dad would load one bb and cock it for me and if i was unsafe with it at all, i would not be allowed to shoot it for a week so i was always very careful. i think it made me really believe in firearms safety from a young age. i would suggest very controlled bb gun shooting as soon as you are comfortable with it because nothing will get a youngster more fired up about shooting than the pinging of a bb on a pop can

Top Bottom