• ...and so much more!
  • Tomcat_AL200

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2009
    West Lafayette, IN
    Hello All,
    I was wondering what your opinions are on first generation Walther P99's? I've held a couple and it is the best feeling gun I have ever held other than a M9, and think it might be my first purchase.
    On a related note, I'm a 20 year old Michigan resident attending Purdue for the NROTC program :patriot:, I've done a Michigan Concealed Pistol License Course and will be getting my CPL from Michigan. Now I know a girl who's 20 who CC's a .38 snubnose and she said that you can own a handgun if you are under 21 in Indiana, but you just can't buy ammo, is there any truth to that? I know this is kinda a big post, but I'd appreciate any help or input you can offer.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    in indiana you have to be 18 to get a LTCH. ammo i guess depends on where you go, i rarely get asked for ID when i purchase ammo. you do however have to be 21 to purchase a handgun from a dealer.

and welcome to INGO

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 6, 2009
    Castleton, Indianapolis
    I know where I work we can't sell handgun ammo to people under 21. "Duel purpose" ammo can be sold to people over 18, it just matters what they say they're using it in. If you can find a rifle that shoots whatever type of handgun ammo you need, you can buy it and say it's for that rifle. That way everyone stays within the letter of the law.

Oh, and it's a fed rule, not a state one. NRA-ILA :: Scroll down to where it says AMMUNITION in bold. Oh, and :welcome:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    The 1st Generation P99 pistols are FANTASTIC pieces of machinery. Simply fantastic.

The "AS" triggers on the 1st Gen (and the other generations, too...) is amazing. It really is, too. Within the SAME firearm, you can choose 3 different trigger "feels".

Great ergonomics, great triggers, durable, great fit & finish, and very accurate. The ONLY problem I had with my 1st Gen 9mm was that it didn't like cheap steel-cased ammunition. If I remember right, it ate the blazer aluminum cased stuff just fine...but not 100% sure about that. Everything brass cased was no problem at all.

Downsides: Magazines are rarer than hen's teeth...and expensive when you do find them. Thankfully, the SW99 mags will fit it. They're expensive, too, because all the P99 owners buy them.

For ME, recoil was a little flippy...even in such a large pistol. For ME, I found it difficult to do controlled pairs with any accuracy.

This is a great link for more info on the P99: Walther P99 FAQ

Ken Lunde is THE man when it comes to firearms photography... Check out his photo pages here: Ken Lunde's Pistol Wallpaper Pages

-J-

Tomcat_AL200

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2009
    West Lafayette, IN
    Thank you all for the warm welcome and the information, and I do have one more question for you. About what could I expect to pay for a frist generation P99 with Titanium/Anodized Slide such as this one? Thanks again for making a Michigander feel welcome among Hoosiers.
    DSCN0156-1-.jpg

SEALF15E

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Walther P99 First Gen Request

SOG (Southern Ohio Gun) has black ones in great shape for $399. Best price around. They are nice guns.

Thank you for the info. I am looking for a Walther P99 First Gen, all black, 9MM or .40. Do you have any at $399? If so what shape are they in? Thank you again

Top Bottom