First deer AND first buck. Taxidermist in ECI?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    Last night I took the first deer of my life. While I wasn't initially planning on mounting the head on my living room wall, in the light of day I am beginning to reconsider. Is there anyone in East Central Indiana you folks could recommend? About how much does it all cost? Do taxidermists offer different "packages" ranging from basic to premium?

Here is my prize. Are the antlers worth saving? :)

Bobbysdeer_zpsf5b56ee0.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Heck of a deer for your first one!

Mount it! My first deer was a 6 pointer that is currently on the wall at the house, not a big trophy but it was my first.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Took my first buck on the 10th. He isn't as big as yours and he is at the taxidermist. You'll only have one first buck, if you don't do a shoulder mount I'd at least do a European mount. He's a great buck.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I see no reason not to do a shoulder mount. I take all my stuff to a guy near Oxford Ohio named Dave Frickie. My shoulder mount was 390 bucks, which is about middle of the road on price. There is another guy local who will do the same mount for 800 bucks. The other guy may very well be better, use better materials, etc, but I don't know enough about taxidermy to tell the difference.

cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    Mount that big boy! I am a meat hunter (does only) and am waiting for the right buck to mount. If I had the opportunity to harvest one lulime yours as my first, I'd be all over it!

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I've been hunting whitetail in Indiana for more than 30 years and I've never taken a buck that big.
    I don't see bucks a lot, mainly due to the small size of the property I hunt

My first deer was also my first buck, a 7 pointer, about half the rack size of yours.

Yes, mount it.

bowtech83

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2014
    Muncie
    look up greg hahn of blue spruce bend taxidermy in New Castle.....top notch work, $350 for a full chest mount. Very detailed work. Here is some of his work....I will be getting my 10-26-14 bow kill back from him next week, quick turn around and awesome work

Attachments

• deer4.jpg
      deer4.jpg
      36.5 KB · Views: 6
    • deer2.jpg
      deer2.jpg
      65.4 KB · Views: 5
    • deer3.jpg
      deer3.jpg
      86.8 KB · Views: 6
    Top Bottom