• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Reaper

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Fishers, IN
    I am interested in recommendations for a first time competition handgun.

I am an avid shooter of my hunting weapons: Semi-Auto Benelli, Ruger .44, Marlin 30-30, Remington 30-06. For the past two years i have considered purchasing a semi-auto handgun for general recreation shooting and competition shooting. I would like my first semi-auto to be fun, but competitive. I have looked at the following brands and models:

Sig Sauer P226, P226 X-Five All Around, P220 Match, 1911
    H&K P30L
    Springfield XDm, 1911 Match, 1911 Loaded
    Kimber Gold Match II and Tactical

Questions:

What style is acceptable in more competition classifications: 1911 or ...?

What caliber should i consider: 9mm, .40 S&W, .45 ACP???

I live in Fishers, IN. Where is a good place to see a variety of handguns and test fire some?

Are there any gun clubs near Fishers that I could join?

Thanks for the input. I am not looking for anyone to make the decision for me, but your input in greatly appreciated.

Reaper

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville

I am an avid shooter of my hunting weapons: Semi-Auto Benelli, Ruger .44, Marlin 30-30, Remington 30-06. For the past two years i have considered purchasing a semi-auto handgun for general recreation shooting and competition shooting. I would like my first semi-auto to be fun, but competitive. I have looked at the following brands and models:

H&K P30L

Questions:

I live in Fishers, IN. Where is a good place to see a variety of handguns and test fire some?

Thanks for the input. I am not looking for anyone to make the decision for me, but your input in greatly appreciated.

Reaper

The Atlanta Conservation Club is the place to join for your location. They are good people and have a variety of competitions.

Sig and HK are fine pistols but you do not see a lot of them in competitions because they are high dollar. Many times you could get two guns for the price of one.

XDM would be eligible for many USPSA divisions. There are places for 1911 style pistols also of course. Which do you enjoy the most.

Reaper

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Fishers, IN
    I have shot many semi-atuo's, but never a 1911...so i would not know which model i prefer shooting. Are there any shooting ranges that offer a good variety of pistols to rent? I would like to compare.

Also, i found the H&K P30L for $850. Would that be considered high? At that price would it be a better choice than the XDM?

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    I have shot many semi-atuo's, but never a 1911...so i would not know which model i prefer shooting. Are there any shooting ranges that offer a good variety of pistols to rent? I would like to compare.

Also, i found the H&K P30L for $850. Would that be considered high? At that price would it be a better choice than the XDM?

As far as I know the only range that has gun rental is Pop's on the east side. I don't know what is available.
    I have 2 Xdm's and a 1911 that I would be willing to let you try out.
    I can't help you with the others:)

Welcome to USPSA.org - Home of the United States Practical Shooting Association

Indiana Section - USPSA

International Defensive Pistol Association

A quick read through the above sights may help you to decide which way to go.

Welcome

Last edited:

mongo404

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Frankfort
    I would start with the one that fits you the best. Those are all good choices. One thing I would ad is there are different divisions to shoot in. As far as USPSA goes. That will differ in the pistol that is allowed for that paticular division. Production is all scored minor. So there is no need in going more than 9mm. If you are interested in the other divisions. Such as limited or limited 10 you really should go with 40 or larger. And you can shoot 40 in production also but it will just be scored as minor. As far as where you can view these types of firearms there are sevrel site supporters on ingo that would offer what you are looking for.
    What type of competition are you looking at getting in to?

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    I was in the same boat 2 months ago.

I've been researching everything exactly with the same goals in mind.

Result: S&W M&P Pro 9mm 5"

Still fits in the USPSA - Stock Service Pistol and the IDPA - Production divisions.

Fits like a glove. I liked the feel much better than the Glock 34.

9mm cheap to shoot and minor power okay with me in USPSA.

"Pro" means improvements FOR competition including 4.5-5 lb trigger.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    As far as I know the only range that has gun rental is Pop's on the east side. I don't know what is available.

Right now they have in 9mm:

Glock 17
    SA XD Compact (3.5") with the extended grip magazine
    S&W Sigma
    Beretta 92 something (broken when I was in last)

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton

H&K P30L

Questions:

Reaper

The most popular brands in USPSA are Glocks, S&W M&P, SA XDM (I did not see any of the new 3.8 XDM's). I have seen EAP's, Beretta's, and CZ's out as well.

1911s are accurate, however, I had issues with the safety and felt awkward after shooting my M&P and XD's

Find out what fits you best and go with it. We will have a staffed booth at the 1500 to help with your questions.

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009

H&K P30L

Questions:

Reaper

I think you could try Don's Guns :rolleyes:. He doesn't want to make money, he just loves to sell guns :draw:to bangers.

It can probably be arranged for you to visit a range and test fire a few different guns. I would be able to bring an M&P and XD compact. Riverman has offered his .40 cal. 1911 and XDM.

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    I was in the same boat 2 months ago.

I've been researching everything exactly with the same goals in mind.

Result: S&W M&P Pro 9mm 5"

Still fits in the USPSA - Stock Service Pistol and the IDPA - Production divisions.

Fits like a glove. I liked the feel much better than the Glock 34.

9mm cheap to shoot and minor power okay with me in USPSA.

"Pro" means improvements FOR competition including 4.5-5 lb trigger.

Good choice. You can change the reset and trigger weight by looking at Apex competition triggers. https://apextactical.com/store/product-info.php?pid36.html. This will get a consistant pull at 3 lbs.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I don't live too far away from you and would love an excuse to go to the range. I have a S&W M&P pro, and a membership to HCFG (HCFG.org). Watcha up to today? I hope to have a M&P compact soon but the MODS are still hungover from NYE and haven't picked a winner for the contest yet.

Reaper

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Fishers, IN
    Rvierman67, Downrange72, SmileDocHill, Glock91 or any others, would you be interested in shooting next weekend? I am going to Don's today to do a little shopping. Don't think i'm confident enough to purchase today, but you never know.

I appreciate the offers to test fire each of your pistols and would welcome the opportunity next weekend. Who's in? Where?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I am going to Don's today to do a little shopping. Don't think i'm confident enough to purchase today, but you never know.

I appreciate the offers to test fire each of your pistols and would welcome the opportunity next weekend. Who's in? Where?

Yikes! Don't go to Don's. Downrange was kidding!

I'm serious, don't go to Don's.

Shop around for sure, but don't buy anything until you try out the offers.:)
    Where are you located?

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    BW frame is right. All kidding aside don't go to Don's. Let me look into what is open on Sunday and I would be glad to go hit some gun stores with you if you are up to having company. I'm in Westfield so we can't be far apart.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm located in Fishers. Where should i go???

Bradis Guns, Beach Grove Firearms and Tactical Shotgunner are INGO advertisers. That is where I would start.
    Elmores and Gander Mountain have large selections for fondling.

I really, really wouldn't be quick to buy anything yet. In two weeks the 1500 show will be in town.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    POP guns on the East side and Bradis on the sw side is open til 5. Bradis is a little too far for me to get there, hang out and make it back in time. I'm not certian Pop guns website is updated on their store hours so that could end up being a couple hours of our lives we never get back. (I would call them first.) Happy to gave an excuse to go to Ham. County F&G (HCFG.org). I'm a member there so we could shoot.
    Up to you, which sounds better, goto Pop guns or the range?

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Bradis Guns, Beach Grove Firearms and Tactical Shotgunner are INGO advertisers. That is where I would start.
    Elmores and Gander Mountain have large selections for fondling.

I really, really wouldn't be quick to buy anything yet. In two weeks the 1500 show will be in town.
    Beach Grove and Tactical shotgunner are not open on Sunday though. I don't think I knew of Elmores...
    THanks.

Top Bottom