• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hunter88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Im sold on a commander size 1911 without spending a grand or more. I think the obvious choice is the ruger cmd. Finding one is the next battle.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Kahr CM45 - Style # CM4543, Kahr Arms Pistols

I wouldn't want to carry a heavy gun everyday, just a suggestion.

This right here is the #1 reason I would recommend that you consider something other than a 1911 as your first carry gun. (unless you can find the flavor that you are looking for in alloy frame, and that is a while 'nother conversation)

I started out with an officers model, and while I do love it, and it did fit the role I wanted, it did become a bit of a struggle to carry at first, as I learned what carrying 100% of the time involved. I very quickly picked up a pocket .380 as a BUG, and have since added more than a few other options that have there merits over one another.

Another point I would urge you to reconsider, your obsession with the caliber. While it is a great round, and surely capable of holding its own in a SD role, it can be tricky finding a reliable source for good SD ammo. (or even target ammo for that matter). Combine that with the fact that .45 ACP is usually about $10 more a box than similar ammo in 9mm, and it can become quite expensive to shoot on any sort of a regular basis (which you should be planing on with any new weapon you intend to carry for defensive use).

If you can find what you are loking for, jump on it. What I am saying to you is there are many good choices out there, many of them will offer a less expensive entry to the world of SD guns, and would probably be easier and less expensive to feed while you are acquainting yourself with your new friend.

Hunter88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    I appreciate all the encite, but ive shot many different guns, calibers, revolvers, etc. Ive carried a full size 1911 on my property before. Since I sold that years ago, I want that 1911 feel back, but in the commander size. I dont mind a heavier gun.

Hunter88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    You dont have to reply back either snapdragon.:rolleyes: Just saying. I was hoping someone that carried the sr1911cmd could give me their impressions. Thanks to everyone else that tried to help.

Leadkrm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2014
    Indianapolis
    The g22 is my favorite to carry. .40 cal is my favorite size to shoot. I'm most comfortable with it. So if I could make a recommendation it would g22

Hunter88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Well I found a great deal on an sr1911 5". Buying it from a coworker. But I will not want to carry it.

So Im looking for a gun to carry all the time. Budget is 500. Caliber doesnt really matter anymore since Im getting the 45. Id kike to stick with 45, but its not set in stone. Trying to find an older XD 4.5", but so far no luck. Throw some opinions out!

Roll Tide

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    Connersville
    Taurus PT 145. Small, 45 acp. inexpensive enough to carry, and not worry about getting dinged up. Less than $500, so you can purchase some defense rounds.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Well I found a great deal on an sr1911 5". Buying it from a coworker. But I will not want to carry it.

So Im looking for a gun to carry all the time. Budget is 500. Caliber doesnt really matter anymore since Im getting the 45. Id kike to stick with 45, but its not set in stone. Trying to find an older XD 4.5", but so far no luck. Throw some opinions out!

Why not carry the SR1911? Other then 3/4 inch on the barrel it is the same as the CMD

Hunter88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    I dont want a EDC full size 1911 as of yet. Im always on the move and I would like something Im not afraid of it getting beat up.

bballard

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I own a Glock 19 9mm and a CZ-P07 S&W .40 and both are excellent guns. Every Glock I have shot has performed great. The CZ only has about 200 rounds through it so far but has performed flawlessly. I prefer the feel of the CZ over the Glock and choose to carry it because of the feel. I would recommend ether as an option.

Hunter88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Well I bought my first handgun. I couldnt pass up the deal on the SA XD 45 service. Love it! Bought a iwb leather holster and a nice snap-on leather belt (im a mechanic). So far ive had it on me most of yesterday and today, to get used to it. The snap on belt help tremendously with the weight. But now im looking into either the supertuck or king tuk.

Top Bottom