• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoosierLife

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Greenwood
    So I just recently got into guns and bought myself a browning hi-power. I really like the BHP and the guy training me swears by them and 1911s. I just don't know if I like the idea of cocked and locked.

I bought a remora IWB holster and its ridiculous to try and carry the BHP that way. I think I'll get an OWB holster and carry it that way at church and try and get a pocket pistol for the other occasions. I'm leaning toward a CM9. I usually have deep pockets so I think it will work. I gotta go see one though.

Also, I think I want something double action with a safety that's about the size of my BHP instead of the BHP. Any suggestions there? I've held a few glocks but with no safety other than the trigger safety, I think I'll wait until I'm a little more comfortable. I was looking at the P95, but I'm not sold on the DA first shot. You'd end up shooting in SA mode most of the time and then if you ever had to use it it would be in DA.

LD36

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Bloomington, IN
    Another suggestion would be a Ruger SR9C of SR40C. Like the above suggestion, its striker fired and has an external safety along with a Glock style trigger safety. Only thing is that is isn't double action like you stated. H&K and Beretta are the first ones that come to mind that come in a SA/DA setup with a safety.

J Starkey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Kokomo
    For my edc I go with a keltec p3at. I know a lot of people dislike them but I've owned mine for 4yrs and seriously never had any malfunctions. I carry it mainly in the summer bc of its small size. If I've got a jacket or heavier clothes I'll carry my glock 19. Personally when it comes to my edc I prefer no safety. One less thing to think about if I ever have to use it. It really comes down to what you feel the most comfortable with.

HoosierLife

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Greenwood
    Well having never carried a gun, and being a new shooter I would feel more comfortable with either a DAO or an extra safety. I really like the XDs 9, but I'm leaning toward the CM9 for pocket carry. When I'm wearing a jacket, in winter or on Sundays, I could OWB something bigger as well. I just don't like the hammer on the BHP. I'm scared it might get snagged if I had to draw it.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    The only safety you need is between your ears. External safeties make people complacent and less careful.

And yet it's the guns without safeties that people tend to shoot themselves with accidentally. I think the above opinion is actually backwards. Carrying cocked and locked seems to be more safe and it may be because when people carry in condition 1, they are much more careful of the weapon. From my own experience, I find that when I carry a Glock, I pay attention to holstering, but generally don't pay any more attention to the gun until it gets unholstered. When I carry a 1911, I'm more aware of the gun and will occasionally check to make sure the safety is still on.

My opinion is that people that carry striker fired weapons have a greater risk of complacency.

To the OP point though, it does take a while to get comfortable carrying cocked and locked. You need to have a good holster no matter what you carry, but it's more important with either a Glock or a BHP than with a 1911.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    CZ 75B.

It can be carried cocked and locked or hammer down for DA/SA first shot.

If you like the Highpower and 1911's this is the best of both worlds. Dare I say maybe a little better than both?... Maybe you decide.

CZ-USA -> CZ 75 B

vstrom

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2011
    Elkhart
    I also carry a BHP cocked and locked. As long as you have a quality holster that covers the trigger, you are as safe as anything else. Most pistols with ambi safeties have the possibility of having the safety knocked off by bumping a door jamb or sitting a certain way in a chair. The first time I noticed my safety flicked off, I just about freaked! The more I thought about it, I knew that the trigger was safely covered, I flipped the safety back on and went about my day. Kudos for picking a classic first handgun!

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    And yet it's the guns without safeties that people tend to shoot themselves with accidentally. I think the above opinion is actually backwards. Carrying cocked and locked seems to be more safe and it may be because when people carry in condition 1, they are much more careful of the weapon. From my own experience, I find that when I carry a Glock, I pay attention to holstering, but generally don't pay any more attention to the gun until it gets unholstered. When I carry a 1911, I'm more aware of the gun and will occasionally check to make sure the safety is still on.

My opinion is that people that carry striker fired weapons have a greater risk of complacency.

To the OP point though, it does take a while to get comfortable carrying cocked and locked. You need to have a good holster no matter what you carry, but it's more important with either a Glock or a BHP than with a 1911.
    Guns are never to be considered "safe". They are always loaded right? So wouldn't having a "safety" already give one a false sense of security and eventually make that person complacent?

The argument that glocks have more ND's is a skewed statistic. How many PD's rock the glock and the officers carry them off duty because of the discount? How many Firemen or EMT's also?

Glock are probably one of the most prolific handguns, so of course the numbers will show them as "the most".

Having a safety on a weapon that goes into a holster is not a smart idea. The only safety that should be on a handgun is a brain that is constantly vigilant to abide by the 4 rules.

They are effective on long guns because you cannot put them in a holster that covers the trigger guard very well ;)

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Hmmm. That looks just like my BHP.

No coincidence there. When the Czechs were looking for thier new pistol design they pretty much took the best parts of the two most popular pistols of the time, BHP and the 1911, and put them into one with a few little tweaks here and there. It isnt a BHP or a 1911 clone however it is a pistol uniquely its own.

The result is a pistol that is extremely comfortable, accurate, reliable and reasonably priced, I think for what you get. Though they can be kinda hard to come by and are normally highly coveted by thier owners they are most certainly worth looking into if you already like the BHP. The CZ 75B is the most widely issued sidearm in the world. More than 60 countries use it as thier issue sidearm. As a result CZ tends not to rely on the US civi-market for sales and I hear they are only imported once a year with a set quantity for each model and once they are gone that is it until next year.

I carry the P-01 which is a moderized compact version with a 1913 rail and alloy frame as my EDC. The P-01 recived NATO approval a few years ago and is slowly replacing the 75B as the issue sidearm of the countries already using them and expanding to some that do not. I love it so much I'm buying another.

The only thing is the trigger out of the box isn't the greatest. Once they get 500-1000 rounds down the pipe the action is as smooth as buttered silk. But the trigger still leaves somthing to be desired if you used to a glass rod 1911 stye break. For a combat sidearm it is fine, but for competition or people who expect a fighting gun to have a competition trigger, you may be dissapointed.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Guns are never to be considered "safe". They are always loaded right? So wouldn't having a "safety" already give one a false sense of security and eventually make that person complacent?

The argument that glocks have more ND's is a skewed statistic. How many PD's rock the glock and the officers carry them off duty because of the discount? How many Firemen or EMT's also?

Glock are probably one of the most prolific handguns, so of course the numbers will show them as "the most".

Having a safety on a weapon that goes into a holster is not a smart idea. The only safety that should be on a handgun is a brain that is constantly vigilant to abide by the 4 rules.

They are effective on long guns because you cannot put them in a holster that covers the trigger guard very well ;)

Hogwash! If you like safeties, then safeties are great. If you don't like safeties, then safeties suck. It's simply a matter of practicing with that you carry to the point where muscle memory takes over. The idea that a safety makes a gun less safe is idiotic at best. Any time you touch a gun, your risk of a gun handling accident increases. When I holster a Glock, The only thing I can do to be safe is to check the holster for obstructions and then carefully slide the pistol into it making sure my finger is outside of the trigger guard. When I holster a 1911, I check the holster for obstructions, check to see that the safety is on and then grip the gun with three fingers. The index finger goes in front of the trigger guard, the second finger goes below and the thumb goes between the hammer and the slide. When I holster, there are a lot more points of failure that must be hit before an ND can happen. The safety is on, the grip safety is not depressed and my thumb is between the hammer and slide.

I love and carry Glocks daily, but the idea that they are more safe because they have no safety is really talking out your backside.

RyanGSams

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Portage
    I have a M&P 9 full size. I have only carried it a few times in a little foxx holster IWB. I barely know its there. I am 6 ft. 250 pounds

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Thanks for all the replies. Everyday, I'm like "that's the gun for me." Then the next day it changes. So many options.

We really are living in the golden age of handguns. There are variations for every taste and sizes to fit everyone. There is a right gun for anyone from a 90 year old arthritic lady as well as a 25 year old Green Beret. It can be daunting finding exactly what works for you, but that search can be a lot of fun.

My first hand gun was a full size 1911. Over the years, I've bought and sold maybe 30 handguns in my quest for what fits me the best. For me, and maybe only me, I've found that CZ 75s are the best 9mm out there. Glocks work best for me in .40 S&W and 10mm and 1911s are my choice for .45s My daily carry is now a Glock 23 or a Kimber Compact 1911 in .45.

One thing that is handy to have is a LaserLyte training cartridge. It's a dummy round that you fit in the chamber and when you fire, it puts out a brief laser spot. It gives you the opportunity to practice your complete draw stroke and first round fire as much as you want. They are not cheap, but at around $65 are not too bad either.

Top Bottom