• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    So since I have more than 7 days worth of food, several guns, belong to my local preppers group and I express my displeasure of the current administration I could have my citizenship stripped and be taken away to God knows where for an indefinite amount of time without the benefit of trial or legal counsel. I don't see any potential for abuse there.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Let us not forget, Terror Watch Lists are nothing new to this Nation.

d62a1bad-9bfe-4138-926d-91a093b45693.jpg

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Is engaging in hostile acts against the United States how you define loving freedom? Really?

In its present form I see some unacceptable latitide for abuse. If they added an upon conviction provision I would support it.

That isn't the problem. If the author of the article is right, the problem is lack of due process for a citizen. One may very well be engaged in terrorist activities, but what if someone comes along that abuses the system, much like McCarthy did, and uses any pretext to strip you of your citizenship?

I don't know if there is anything to the story or not but if there is, there is good reason for alarm.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    That isn't the problem. If the author of the article is right, the problem is lack of due process for a citizen. One may very well be engaged in terrorist activities, but what if someone comes along that abuses the system, much like McCarthy did, and uses any pretext to strip you of your citizenship?

I don't know if there is anything to the story or not but if there is, there is good reason for alarm.

That really isn't fair to McCarthy. The Venona Project had established by the time of the controversy that he was in fact correct, but of course the reds in the Truman administration (largely left over from the FDR administration) weren't about to do anything about it. It is a crying shame that the project wasn't declassified until decades after McCarthy's reputation had been irredeemably trashed--after all, he WAS right. Aside from that, I agree with you, but McCarthy wasn't part of the problem but rather a failed attempt at stopping it.

thebishopp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Indiana

Hey! There are quite a few people who believe McCarthy was a hero!

I am not one of them.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    McCarthy just wanted the many communists who were working for the federal government fired, not stripped of citizenship.:rolleyes:

Men like McCarthy (and Richare Nixon) stopped a communist coup in this country and yet no statues are put up in their honor.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    In light of his closing of the gold window, a statue honoring Nixon for preventing communism would be paradoxical.

The elasticity of the ever-stretching and unanchored FRN is one of the cornerstones upon which many bricks of ever-expanding government power have been laid. His action on August 15, 1971 provided the final cement for it.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Nixon was so upset with the way the Left treating him for stopping the Alger Hiss coup attempt that he adopted much of the Left's agenda just so he would get a better obit in the New York Times.

Shunning is an incredibly effective social control device.

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    In light of his closing of the gold window, a statue honoring Nixon for preventing communism would be paradoxical.

The elasticity of the ever-stretching and unanchored FRN is one of the cornerstones upon which many bricks of ever-expanding government power have been laid. His action on August 15, 1971 provided the final cement for it.

Well said.

Top Bottom