Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    B reak
    o ut
    A nother
    T housand

Beat me to it, most of the essentials have been covered, but I will add to make sure your trailer tires are aired but you probably would have already seen to that. Drain Plug in and trailer lights unplugged have already been noted but can't be stressed enough. Once you start launching ( rather, watching others launch) you'll see why.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    As a sailor, I'd recommend launching on the leeward side of the pier if possible.
    Hold the boat to the dock with a bow line and a stern line. Let the wind push you away from the dock. And put out your fenders before you launch.

But the most important piece of advice you will ever receive is this:
    PFDs (personal flotation devices) for everyone aboard. They should be worn by everyone under the age of (insert the age that you won't miss them too much here). If you love them, make them wear one. If they love you back, you should wear one.

I took the family on a bareboat charter several years ago. And caught all sorts of crap from grandparents, uncles and aunts and my wife about my requirement for my (at the time) 5 year old. My rule was that she wear her PFD when on deck underway. And she should be accompanied by an adult when on deck while at anchor, moored, or docked. She didn't need to wear a lifeline. Just the PFD while underway.

I finally got my point across with this exercise.
    I asked my daughter to write her name on a piece of paper.
    We were under sail and autopilot. Doing a comfortable 4-5 knots.

I asked her grandparents to run the stopwatch. We crumpled up the paper with her name on it and threw it overboard.
    Within 10 seconds, I lost sight of the paper. Within 15 seconds everyone else admitted to loosing sight of the paper.

I told them "I'm only here to offer moral support. You need to find that piece of paper with the girl's name on it and get it onboard without me at the helm.

I'd never won an argument with my inlaws before.

It was stunning how effective that exercise was.

As a new skipper, you have several obligations:
    safety of your crew and passengers
    safety of those around you
    safety of your vessel
    ensure everyone is having a good time

dont let the last one get out of order.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Excellent posting Outdoordad. I have plenty of pfds for all those that choose to go with and i will be sure they will be worn, especially concerning my daughter. I was actually gonna go out today, but was just to damn hot!

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    I am a overkill kind of guy. Before I would take out a engine that old,I would change out the impellor.(waterpump.) It probably isn't much over $20.00. I have a perfectly good Merc 35 out in the barn that had sat for some years. My friend bought a boat,ran it a few times,and the old impellor exploded,sending rubber chunks to the head.It has never cooled right after the new impellor. He could not get all of the tiny pieces out . He bought another engine,and $1500.00 later,he was back at it. I change plugs about every two years,impellor every 2-3 years,and lower unit lube every fall,just to catch a seal failure before the winter freeze. Get in the habit in the fall and pull prop,and make sure fishing line hasn't wrapped under the output shaft seal. 85 hp,your gonna rock and roll.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    The motor is old but water pump was changed at fays marina last year, previous owner showed receipt for repair. I changed the lower unit oil already myself and threw a new set of plugs in her too. Taking her out finally this evening after work. I'll post how it goes this evening

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Tool the boat out last night. Everything went really well from unloading, boat performance, and reloading on trailer. Had a good time and cant wait to get back out there this coming weekend. Thanks everyone for all the advice

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I just hit Lake George here in Hobart where i live. Small lake but wanted something small to take that first trip out. Probably spent 30 minutes or so. Its a no wake lake from what i could find on cities website, but i made a few anyway. Needed to see how.motor responded. Lol. Ran good and.am thinking of heading to pine lake in laporte this weekend

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom