• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sigpro

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 2, 2012
    Avon
    Just bought my first AR...ended up with a mid-length Spikes Tactical. Will be going out to shoot it in a few. Looking to put a nice optic on it and was wanting opinions on a good red dot??

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    How good of a red dot?

Aimpoint is hands down the best red dot out there. But you're going to pay for it.

If this is just a weekend range toy you can get a Vortex Sparc from A&A Optics (INGO Advertiser) or you could get a Primary Arms too

sigpro

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 2, 2012
    Avon
    Would like to stay in the 500-600 dollar range....looked at aimpoints and eotech. This will be mainly a range gun but want a good optic in case I need it foor something else.

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    See if you can check out an Aimpoint and an Eotech, side-by-side.

(Aimpoint totally wins on the battery life)

The two different optics give completely different experiences, from the type of reticle, to the tube vs. holographic plane. Different strokes for different folks. I actually have both, and am having trouble deciding which side of the fence I'm on. One point I've heard a lot, is that Aimpoints are supposed to be less desirable for eyes with an astigmatism, but I actually find the eotech reticle to be fuzzier.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    See if you can check out an Aimpoint and an Eotech, side-by-side.

(Aimpoint totally wins on the battery life)

The two different optics give completely different experiences, from the type of reticle, to the tube vs. holographic plane. Different strokes for different folks. I actually have both, and am having trouble deciding which side of the fence I'm on. One point I've heard a lot, is that Aimpoints are supposed to be less desirable for eyes with an astigmatism, but I actually find the eotech reticle to be fuzzier.

I've got the money to buy my optics but I need to check some out in person and side by side because I have pretty severe astigmatism in both eyes. I may just put optics on hold and use the $$$ to build me another PSA rifle.

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    I've got the money to buy my optics but I need to check some out in person and side by side because I have pretty severe astigmatism in both eyes. I may just put optics on hold and use the $$$ to build me another PSA rifle.

I would encourage you to fully outfit the rifle you have, before starting on another. BTDT, and can tell you that fewer, well-accessorized rifles, are more satisfying than a whole slew of bare bones guns.

ssylvester

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    I've been wondering why the aim point and similar optics are so expensive. What is the difference between a red dot on a 50 dollar optic and the dot on a 500 dollar optic if you have good batteries and the sight holds zero?

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Aimpoint batteries will last roughly 5 years. Pretty good battery life, and they'll take an absolute beating and keep on ticking

JonProphet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I would encourage you to fully outfit the rifle you have, before starting on another. BTDT, and can tell you that fewer, well-accessorized rifles, are more satisfying than a whole slew of bare bones guns.

Even though I'm a new AR owner. I agree with the above. I may pick up a lower, but it'll go in the safe for umm... safe keeping.

I'm pretty close to the end of my AR build but I'm not going to finish it anytime soon. Some good info here for some optics. I need a new upper and a red dot. I did see one of the types listed and that's just to pricey for me and a weekend range toy.

-JD-

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    What is the difference between a red dot on a 50 dollar optic and the dot on a 500 dollar optic if you have good batteries and the sight holds zero?

• Most cheap red dots have a tough time holding zero-- some are worse than others
    • Aimpoints have an average battery life of 50,000 hours-- cheapies don't (but neither do EOTechs :D)
    • Dials on cheaper units are often squishy and vague, or they don't track consistently
    • Cheap red dots can have foggy or unclear glass
    • Cheap red dots don't have the extensive history of reliability after rugged use (and abuse)
    • Cheap red dots sometimes will not co-witness with iron sights due to poor placement of the emitter
    • Cheap red dots often have auto-shutoff or auto-adjustment features that are unnecessary (and unwanted)

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana

Ahhh yes, but a rifle without high dollar optics (irons only) is very satisfying. The 2nd rifle build is in the plans anyway, it would just force me to take more time choosing optics. Hopefully I can find a shop with multiple quality brands so I can compare them.

ssylvester

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    Iron sights

Ahhh yes, but a rifle without high dollar optics (irons only) is very satisfying. The 2nd rifle build is in the plans anyway, it would just force me to take more time choosing optics. Hopefully I can find a shop with multiple quality brands so I can compare them.

I have to agree. I think if it came down to spending all my money on sights I'd rather get good iron sights. Battery life=infinity lol. My favorite weapons had ironsights... My old saw and a2. I wouldnt use optics for anything other then the range except for using an ir dot with nvgs.

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    would you rather have two, $700 rifles, with $50 red dots, or one $1000+ rifle, with a duty-quality optic?

I know the choice I made, after living and learning, and it cost me $$$, in the long run.

Top Bottom