• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • warriorbob

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96%
    24   1   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    well I decided on an impulse to go ahead and build an ar today. I went to bradis and picked out a spikes lower, cmmg kit, catlenut tool and a mil spec buffer tube. Armed with a youtube video from sootch00 I set out to tackle this project. aftera few minor hiccups here and there I finally got to the last step which was to put the front takedown pin, spring, and detent in. Can you tell where this is going? I slpiiped up TWICE and the spring and detent went flying! After some deep praying I found both the first time but when it happened again I was out of luck. I managed to find the spring but the tiny detent is gone. So my lower is on hold until I can order a new "lost parts" kit off online. You think that would be something they'd geive you a few extras of. Over all it was a very good learning experience and really fun. Cant wait to pick an upper out when I get my refund.

flyboy84

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    Sounds like you are having fun. I have lost countless small parts that went flying in the living room only to find them months later in some spot where it should not fit or managed to get in. What brand and caliber upper are you looking at getting?

warriorbob

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96%
    24   1   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    im not sure on the brand yet but im going with 223/556. Im hoping to keep it as low as possible without taking to big a hit on quality. I also need a buffer and spring. I think I need a carbine buffer but I am confused as to what weight I need. I read the weight of the buffer affects cycling. if its to heavy it might not function with cheaper ammo. Is this true? I shoot a lot of wolf and tula. can anyone point me in the right direction?

flyboy84

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    I would get a barrel for 5.56 personally. I have read its not recommended to shoot 5.56 out of a .223 barrel but you can shoot a .223 out of a 5.56. Im not sure on buffer weights. And if you shoot factory ammo or surplus I don't think you will have a problem. I bought a stag arms AR and it eats everything. Went that route for their warranty.

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Next time install that takedown detent inside of a large clear ziplock baggie ;)

And I really like his videos it was painful to watch him build that AR15 lower.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    pivot pin detent is super easy w/ the right method and "tool." I always tell people to buy a spare pivot pin (the "tool"). Insert one from the left, then stick in the spring/detent. You can use this second pin from the left to hold the detent in place. Then push the extra pin out w/ your other pin from the right and everything's in place. Can do it much faster than it took to type out. While working the detent down/under the extra pin, you can put sideways pressure on it via the pin which holds it in place and prevents it from launching into the ether.

-rvb

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    pivot pin detent is super easy w/ the right method and "tool." I always tell people to buy a spare pivot pin (the "tool"). Insert one from the left, then stick in the spring/detent. You can use this second pin from the left to hold the detent in place. Then push the extra pin out w/ your other pin from the right and everything's in place. Can do it much faster than it took to type out. While working the detent down/under the extra pin, you can put sideways pressure on it via the pin which holds it in place and prevents it from launching into the ether.

-rvb

Similar concept, but I simply use an allen wrench (can't remember the size, but generally the largest that fits.)

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    The best trick I know is using a 1/4" hitch pin. Insert hitch pin from the opposite side. Align the holes with the front detent hole. Drop in spring and detent then use a punch to push it down. Rotating the hitch pin will lock the detent down inside of it's hole. Now just carefully push the hitch pin out using the takedown pin. Viola!

warriorbob

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96%
    24   1   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Giving a shoutout to loony1 and us defence solutions for hooking me up with a free detent! Using some of the advice from you guys finished my lower with no extra problems. Now I'm just waiting on my return so I can get my upper and finish this build.

MordecuS

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Mooresville
    warriorbob... I have done the same thing. If all you need is a detent, shoot me a PM. I have quite a few extras and am more than happy to give you one. You mentioned that you got your gear at Bradis, which suggests to me you live close by me. I'm in Mooresville so if you are interested, I can just give you the piece.

---- NEVERMIND. I should have refreshed this page before posting. Good luck with the remainder of your build.

Last edited:

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Get an upper in 5.56 or .223 Wylde. 5.56 will fire either, .223 Wylde is made for both. Cool thing is, you can get other uppers later for other calibers. 300BLK for example, requires only the barrel be changed.

Top Bottom