• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cg21

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Looking for advice looking into purchasing my first 1911 soon. Want to do my research before picking. Not looking for top of the line .... but not afraid to spend some cash either. Shoot me some ideas guys ! Thanks.

peberly400

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2012
    Warsaw
    A RIA will suit you just fine. The finish isn't the best, but they work flawlessly and have a great customer service. They can be found for around 300-500$.

A great second choice for a small bit more would be a para or springfield gi model. Springfield has one of the best customer services in the game. A para is a little less of a tradition 1911 (double stack mag) but works just as well. All three are great choices for right at or under 600$

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    If you look at it as its your first 1911 I would not buy a high end model. RIA is what I would recommend to anyone wanting a 1911 and it is especially suited for a first time owner.

Super reliable, low cost, best bang for your buck. Buy a RIA get acquainted with the 1911 platform. You could tinker with it and mod the crap out of it or leave it stock. Its just a great first time gun. If you decide you love the 1911 and want to upgrade you would have no problem selling it (as long as you dont try to make a profit) and move on.

You dont need to spend $1,000.00 or more to have a great shooting, reliable 1911. It just wont be as pretty as the $3,000.00 custom models.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers

Nice post. OP, take the time to read through this. Yes, it is only one man's opinion, but it is a consistent opinion that covers more different 1911s than most of us have ever seen, let alone owned. And he must keep updating it, as it includes more entries now than it did when I myself first stumbled across it.

DaveO

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Washington IN.
    You can get a new Kimber Custom II for $689, possible slightly less if you get a deal somewhere. I also have Springfields and find them and the service to be excellent.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    You can get a new Kimber Custom II for $689, possible slightly less if you get a deal somewhere. I also have Springfields and find them and the service to be excellent.

That would be a great deal. Even Buds (the Walmart of gun stores) sells them for $779.00.

steveg26

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 7, 2012
    I did alot of reading on 1911s looked at a bunch of youtube videos and reviews for about 3 months and ended up buying a sig 1911 paid about 900.00 for it. Came with night sights front strap checkering nice rose wood grips gun is all stainless with black nitron coating. Seems to me for the money you get alot of custom features most other 1911s don’t come with at that price point.

straid

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Looking for advice looking into purchasing my first 1911 soon. Want to do my research before picking. Not looking for top of the line .... but not afraid to spend some cash either. Shoot me some ideas guys ! Thanks.
    Since you're not looking to break the bank, I'd say RIA, Remington or Springfield. I personally (for what that's worth), am not a fan of Kimber, but others like them, so find what you like. The 1911 platform in general is an awesome gun, but you'll find there's a wide variety out there in terms of how aggressive the grip checking is, sights, and so on.

Fire as many as you can at gun ranges. If you like it, you'll have a big collection soon.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I didn't care for the fit of the RIA models I handled. I went with a metro arms American Classic II. It's the hard chrome model. Fit is better than RIA, and it comes(came) with the upgrades I wanted on the RIA for about a hundred more.

Now they are in excess of $550 NIB, and I would venture to find a used springer for that price.

Also, if the gun is a jam-o-matic, give wilson 47d's a try. the act mag was junk, and now it hasn't had one hangup other than wife and mom limp wristing. :)

Bap1911

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 29, 2011
    NE Indy
    If you're working with a reasonable budget ~$1000, I would strongly suggest what DaveO and Hoosier45 advised. Shop around and find a good lightly used Kimber. Once you hold/shoot one the entry level 1911's don't compare. My first was the Pro TLE ii and I have no regrets and have had zero issues!

peberly400

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2012
    Warsaw
    I am personally not a kimber fan. My personal experience they have alot of problems from the factory. I will say, they are accurate, and very accurate.

Really, we need to know what your budget is to recommend you a 1911. Anything 600 under I would get a RIA, American Classic, SA GI's, or your basic Spartan. Around 1000, a colt or used Vbob you cant go wrong.

redhead

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    The Black Nitron SIG shoots great and is a price point gun, honestly the mojority of the SIG's are affordable. They have the new "Fast Back" series of guns that are great for carry, just have to get past the external extractor. Agree with the others, any Used Colt XSE, or good shape Kimber. Got to stsart somewhere.
    Good luck

Dorian Gray

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    I own a RIA Officers model and it is one of the cheapest (price wise) guns I own but one of the most accurate.

Top Bottom