• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    My primary reasoning for posting is that I'm in the market for a new EDC gun and I have been lead to believe the 10mm is one hell of a round that I can have in a compact pistol and still have higher capacity mags. I have a tanfoglio style 9mm that I really like, so I figured that I would get used to the EAA much quicker than the G29. The only glocks I have had expierience with was a 23 and a 22. For some reason I just seem to prefer the grip angle and feel of the CZ75 and 1911 styles. That being said I still havent completely ruled out the G29. I'm 6'3" and about 210 lb so hopefully concealing either pistol shouldn't be much of a problem.
    Edit: By the way I am planning on getting into reloading at the beginning
    of the year.

Concealing a pistol is not so much about your size as how you dress and carry. I'm 5'7" and solidly built (200# of mostly muscle) and I concealed the 29 for many, many years. It might be too wide for a really skinny guy in the summer time, but that's what fanny packs are for.

I've really been hoping Glock will come out with the 10mm in the G36 form factor. I'd buy two in a heartbeat.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Finding commercial ammo at wallyworld is harder to do, but there's plenty available online, and for those who make the argument that it's more expensive I say that if a dollar or two more per box of 50 (over .40s&w) makes or breaks it for them then they are fools if they aren't reloading regardless of the caliber they shoot, and if they are reloading then the cost is almost identical.

Have you ever seen 10mm ammo at walmart? I never have. If you know where it's within a buck or two of .40 post a link because I'm looking to buy some.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Have you ever seen 10mm ammo at walmart? I never have.

Walmart no. MC Sports, Dicks, yes. I never made the claim that you could go to walmart and get it, just that it's readily available.

As for the pricing, on Midway, .40S&W Remington UMC is $23 a box, 10mm is $27 a box. Oh, BTW, the same Rem UMC in .45ACP is $30. So yes, a little more than a buck or two, four to be precise, but as I said, if you are either so poor or you shoot that much that this price difference makes or breaks it for you and you aren't reloading, then you're being foolish. FWIW, self defense ammo costs exactly the same.

There are lots of reasons to prefer to not shoot the 10mm. For a lot of people it's just too much round for them and they are better off sticking with a 9mm or a .40. Lack of a gun built in that caliber. But ammo availability and cost is the lazy man's reasoning.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Concealing a pistol is not so much about your size as how you dress and carry. I'm 5'7" and solidly built (200# of mostly muscle) and I concealed the 29 for many, many years. It might be too wide for a really skinny guy in the summer time, but that's what fanny packs are for.

I've really been hoping Glock will come out with the 10mm in the G36 form factor. I'd buy two in a heartbeat.

wait.. wait.. WHAT?

Did you say... FANNY PACK? :)

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Walmart no. MC Sports, Dicks, yes. I never made the claim that you could go to walmart and get it, just that it's readily available.

As for the pricing, on Midway, .40S&W Remington UMC is $23 a box, 10mm is $27 a box. Oh, BTW, the same Rem UMC in .45ACP is $30. So yes, a little more than a buck or two, four to be precise, but as I said, if you are either so poor or you shoot that much that this price difference makes or breaks it for you and you aren't reloading, then you're being foolish. FWIW, self defense ammo costs exactly the same.

There are lots of reasons to prefer to not shoot the 10mm. For a lot of people it's just too much round for them and they are better off sticking with a 9mm or a .40. Lack of a gun built in that caliber. But ammo availability and cost is the lazy man's reasoning.

Thanks for looking up the prices. 10mm is one of those calibers that's exactly why I reload my own. I've been looking for some factory ammo where I could break in the gun and keep the brass, but also be able to buy additional brass later and not have to worry about loads I've worked up being off a little. Winchester & Starline seem to be the big contenders in 10mm brass and out of the two starline seems to be the better priced with equally as good if not better quality than the winchester. I ended up placing an order through georgia arms on their factory 180gr ammo because they use starline brass and I can get more anytime I want to.

Ammo availability and cost aren't lazy man's reasonings. Both of those are pretty valid. Some guys like being able to buy more ammo off the shelf with the confidence that it'll be there. As far as cost goes I'm not in a tax bracket that allows me to not worry about it and I don't think that makes me or anyone else lazy, just trying to get the most for the money we have.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Ammo availability and cost aren't lazy man's reasonings. Both of those are pretty valid. Some guys like being able to buy more ammo off the shelf with the confidence that it'll be there. As far as cost goes I'm not in a tax bracket that allows me to not worry about it and I don't think that makes me or anyone else lazy, just trying to get the most for the money we have.

My point there has to do more with reloading than anything else. If price truly is an issue then one should shoot air guns or .22lr.

I shoot a lot. About 50 rounds a day of various pistol and rifle calibers from .22lr to .50bmg, so ammo cost is a big concern to me. I have a monthly shooting budget, and I live pretty frugally. A couple bucks more to the guy who shoots a box of 50 every few weeks is nothing. If that same guy shoots that box every day and isn't reloading where he can cut his ammo cost to a third, but instead worries about paying 10-20% more for one caliber over another, that is foolish.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    My point there has to do more with reloading than anything else. If price truly is an issue then one should shoot air guns or .22lr.

I shoot a lot. About 50 rounds a day of various pistol and rifle calibers from .22lr to .50bmg, so ammo cost is a big concern to me. I have a monthly shooting budget, and I live pretty frugally. A couple bucks more to the guy who shoots a box of 50 every few weeks is nothing. If that same guy shoots that box every day and isn't reloading where he can cut his ammo cost to a third, but instead worries about paying 10-20% more for one caliber over another, that is foolish.

I got yah and understand what you're saying better now. I agree with you. I first started reloading back in the day when I was dumb enough to buy a remington BDL in 300 RUM. Wow that rifle was a beast and at $2 or more everytime I pulled the trigger I knew I was going to be learning how to reload. I've long since sold that rock chucker kit and picked up a dillon 550B and couldn't be happier. Nice thing about reloading is it makes these less popular calibers much more realistic.

How long did it take you to work up a load for your 50BMG? As much powder as one of those takes do you still adjust by .5gr increments when trying to fine tune your load? Just being nosey and you don't have to answer this, but how much does one of your reloaded rounds cost in that bad boy? I realize I'm getting off topic, but could PM me with your response on the 50BMG?

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    How long did it take you to work up a load for your 50BMG? As much powder as one of those takes do you still adjust by .5gr increments when trying to fine tune your load? Just being nosey and you don't have to answer this, but how much does one of your reloaded rounds cost in that bad boy? I realize I'm getting off topic, but could PM me with your response on the 50BMG?

My LAR likes 218 gr of H50BMG under a 690gr Winchester projectile. I haven't worked up a load for my Bohica MKIII yet, and I have recently decided to try 800gr boreriders that I haven't yet started loading for,

For my LAR I worked 1 gr at a time until I found the sweet spot and then went half a grain on each side and didn't notice any real difference.

I went all the way up to 225 gr and the sweet spot was very wide, 5 grains. My chrony's variance was wider than the velocity differences I found.

Right now using components I can buy today I'm paying about $1.30/round. The absolute cheapest I can load for is about $.90 a round, but that's pulled projectiles and bulk powder. I might be able to get that down to $.75 a round if I could buy in larger bulk but that's tens of thousands of rounds worth.

harleyindys

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    Southside Indy
    10 mm is not that bad in price I just got 200 rds from Georgia arms for $83 and my Bren Ten loves to eat.
    DSC01494.jpg

ggglobert9

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 6, 2009
    Ft Wayne
    Listen...I had Crockett envy in the 80's, had the hair, the gun, even the slip on canvas shoes...No alligator or fancy Lamborghini but I never would wear a fanny pack because it would not go well with my manbag.

chipdog4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Next on the toy list is a colt Delta Elite XSE if I can find one .

You're going to have to get a base model customized because they haven't released an XSE Delta yet.
    Kinda doubt they will as the current ones are rumored to be limited production.

Hopefully, Colt will surprise us at the Shot Show in January...

Top Bottom