• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brandan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    West Side
    Long story short, I was given some primed .308 brass that still needs sized correctly. Would it be acceptable to fire the primed brass out of my Remington 700 in the garage? Is it going to be too loud, unsafe, or bad for the rifle? I would of course have eye and ear protection on.

Brandan

Cat-Herder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2009
    Fortville
    Just decap them and reuse the primers. Otherwise, shooting them in your gun poses no risks or problems. They aren't as loud as a firecracker.

Brandan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    West Side
    Cool. I'm not sure I will reuse them, however I wasn't sure if pushing them out would risk sitting them off. Have any of you personally done this?

Brandan

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    The decapping pin won't set them off. If you are slow and careful you also won't deform them and can reuse them.

I've fired a few primers before to see how load they were. Like others said, not quite as loud as a firecracker, but defnitely louder than an old school cap gun. I would suggest if you do it to clean the gun afterwards since you will have some of the primer residue in the gun.

What is wrong with the sizing on them? Depending on your sizing die, you could back the decapping pin out / remove it and just size them with the primers installed.

Brandan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    West Side
    The decapping pin won't set them off. If you are slow and careful you also won't deform them and can reuse them.

I've fired a few primers before to see how load they were. Like others said, not quite as loud as a firecracker, but defnitely louder than an old school cap gun. I would suggest if you do it to clean the gun afterwards since you will have some of the primer residue in the gun.

What is wrong with the sizing on them? Depending on your sizing die, you could back the decapping pin out / remove it and just size them with the primers installed.

Neck size is .3085". Projectiles full straight thru.

Thanks for everyones help.

Brandan

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Better Quality Dies??

With the "Name Brand" dies, RCBS, Dillon, Redding, even Lyman, you can remove the de cap pin from the de cap rod, and go ahead+re size at will.

As stated before, you can "Push" out your live primers with no problems with a steady pressure placed on your press handle.
    I have pushed out primers before+re used them with good luck also..Bill.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Listen before ya load on this one...there's no need to push the primers out. Depending on the design of your dies, it is entirely likely that you can create safe and effective loads without touching those primers.

Brandan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    West Side
    With the "Name Brand" dies, RCBS, Dillon, Redding, even Lyman, you can remove the de cap pin from the de cap rod, and go ahead+re size at will.

As stated before, you can "Push" out your live primers with no problems with a steady pressure placed on your press handle.
    I have pushed out primers before+re used them with good luck also..Bill.

Listen before ya load on this one...there's no need to push the primers out. Depending on the design of your dies, it is entirely likely that you can create safe and effective loads without touching those primers.

Like I stated before, this isn't possible with the Lee Collet Neck Sizing Dies. The decapping pin is removable, however if removed, the collet then has nothing to push against when it clamps the neck. I ended up decapping everything and re-sizing with no issues.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Brandan

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Like I stated before, this isn't possible with the Lee Collet Neck Sizing Dies. The decapping pin is removable, however if removed, the collet then has nothing to push against when it clamps the neck. I ended up decapping everything and re-sizing with no issues.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Brandan

Good deal Brandan. The only Lee dies that I have used had the de-cap pin fixed to the de-cap rod, so I wasn't sure. Bill.

Armorer59

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Greene County
    You didn't state whether the primed brass was commercial or military. If it's military brass it probably has crimped primers in which case I would not try to de-prime them.

Top Bottom