• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    This is Indiana, we call them lighting bugs. And to think you are from Morgan county, calling them fire flys:dunno: what's up with that?:laugh:

You are right though. Used to be a lot more around when I was a younger.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    I'm in the city but I think you're right . Come to think of it I can't remember the last time I saw a bee either .

I know they're dieing but it's weird to not see them around here anymore .

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    If I remember right they need moist forest litter/rotting wood areas along streams and ponds to breed. The drought last year may have had an impact on their populations.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    The last couple years I actually saw a few down in Evansville. The previous years I hadn't even seen one so for me they are slightly increasing.

I was down in KY last weekend and there were plenty in the woods.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Don't confuse reality with through-the-looking glass remembrance of childhood...

Remember, your father was a lot bigger when you were a child, too.

-J-

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Depends where you live. If you live in an area where they spray for mosquitoes (like a city) you won't see many, if any - kills the fireflies/lightning bugs too.

Many species live in marshes or in damp wooded areas where their larvae have abundant sources of food - so the habitat of where you live plays a role too.
    They hibernate over the winter - so winter weather can play a role.

So, it depends.

They're by no means endangered. Some evenings during the summers when we lived in the Spencer area a few years ago were amazingly beautiful with fireflies.

Bucky623

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    If I remember right they need moist forest litter/rotting wood areas along streams and ponds to breed. The drought last year may have had an impact on their populations.

During the drought last year I remember seeing only a few fireflies and thinking it might affect their population for years to come. I also remember thinking the same thing about mosquitoes but they seem to have rebounded nicely.

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    Nice to know some of you see plenty...The last few years living in the country here in Morgan Co. it seemed to me that these insects were few.We have had serious infestations of "lady bugs" that were orange.

treeman22

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Indy North
    thousands of them near me. I think it depends a lot on how the property is managed. I would imagine heavy use of fertilizer/pesticides on your lawn would decrease the populations.
    Also, predators such as starlings, which love to eat every insect in your lawn, probly decrease the population as well. But i'm no expert on lightning bugs.

AtlasDM

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 20, 2012
    I'm glad I'm not the only one around that misses seeing all the lightning bugs. I was just telling a friend that when I was a kid there were so many more than there are now. I always figured they were thinning out because of pesticides and the like. I thought the same for bees too.

Top Bottom