• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • midget96

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Avoca
    I know this has been covered somewhere, but I was wanting to know what software everyone uses for their Firearms Acquisition & Disposition. Thanks

Clarification - In their gunshop

Last edited:

DemolitionMan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Avon, IN
    I happen to be a software developer, and have been thinking about what I could do related to firearms.

So.....what are you looking for?

merotek

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 8, 2012
    New Albany
    I happen to be a software developer, and have been thinking about what I could do related to firearms.

So.....what are you looking for?

I have thought about this as well, but I think the vast majority would be too paranoid to actually use an app :P

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    What exactly do people want to track? I assume make, model, serial number, purchase date and price. Excel or a piece of paper can do that. An app that attaches some info to a picture might be cool for insurance purposes.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    I use Burnsoft's "My Gun Collection".
    The BurnSoft My Gun Collection application allows you to store information about your gun collection safely and in a well-organized fashion. It contains reports which allows you to print a hard copy of your information. It will also allow you to store pictures of your firearm collection, and keep track of the ammunition that you have in-stock.
    BurnSoft -Welcome to BurnSoft

They have other programs too.

Dan

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I assume the OP wants something that produces a log for a "bound book" satisfies the FFL03 requirements.

NMCollector is what I use. I the interface is a bit far from the common interface we've been trained to use. I blame the fact that it was written in Java.

I keep it in on thumbstick inside a TrueCrypt volume and I backup that volume routinely. Whenever I buy or sell, I print out a new copy to keep my A&D book up to date.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I use a "Bound Book" for all my C&R firearms that I have purchased since obtaining my FFL-03 license. For the remainder of my collection I use Excel.

nmcollector

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2013
    I assume the OP wants something that produces a log for a "bound book" satisfies the FFL03 requirements.

NMCollector is what I use. I the interface is a bit far from the common interface we've been trained to use. I blame the fact that it was written in Java.

Thanks for mentioning NM Collector Software. I have to accept all responsibility for the user interface. The main reason it is a little hard to understand at first is:
    • I wanted the software to be flexible enough to manage multiple type of collections in a single user interface.
    • I wanted to provide the capability to customize the fields that are displayed for each collection type.
    • I thought it would be useful to allow association of related items to the item they are related with in the tree view - like accessories for a firearm - this has caused untold grief!
    The way the user interface is designed is the best way I could come up with to meet those objectives. However, it means you have to make certain selections before you add items or modify field names.

It is intuitive to me and it becomes intuitive to others once they see it work once. That is why I have provided a quick video tutorial on how to start entering data start entering data.

I keep it in on thumbstick inside a TrueCrypt volume and I backup that volume routinely. Whenever I buy or sell, I print out a new copy to keep my A&D book up to date.

This is exactly how I intended the USB version of the software to be used!

Thanks!

Clay

Last edited:

nmcollector

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2013
    I have thought about this as well, but I think the vast majority would be too paranoid to actually use an app :P

I think you are right. In fact, I was at a gun show many years ago trying to peddle my software and that is exactly the reaction I got. One older fellow came right out and told me "I would never enter my guns into my computer." When I asked why he said "because I do not want the government to know what I have." Being a gun owner myself I can understand his concern.

This is why my NM Collector Software can be run entirely off of a USB flash drive without any installation on any computer. In this mode, all data is stored on the USB flash drive which you can protect as you see fit. It runs a little slower directly off of the flash drive but it keeps you data completely off of your computer.

Also, it does not communicate with the internet unless you intentionally click a link that is clear it is going to one of my support pages. My software can be run on a computer completely disconnected from the internet and some people have run monitoring software against it to verify that it does not access the internet.

Thanks for giving me a chance to elaborate.

Clay

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I think you are right. In fact, I was at a gun show many years ago trying to peddle my software and that is exactly the reaction I got. One older fellow came right out and told me "I would never enter my guns into my computer." When I asked why he said "because I do not want the government to know what I have." Being a gun owner myself I can understand his concern.

This is why my NM Collector Software can be run entirely off of a USB flash drive without any installation on any computer. In this mode, all data is stored on the USB flash drive which you can protect as you see fit. It runs a little slower directly off of the flash drive but it keeps you data completely off of your computer.

Also, it does not communicate with the internet unless you intentionally click a link that is clear it is going to one of my support pages. My software can be run on a computer completely disconnected from the internet and some people have run monitoring software against it to verify that it does not access the internet.

Thanks for giving me a chance to elaborate.

Clay

People go onto INGO bragging about their guns, but won't record the S/Ns... :rolleyes:

Record it in Excel, paper, or NMCollector, just record it. Personally, I like programs that run from USB, if nothing else, then for convenience.

PS - Welcome to INGO Clay!

nmcollector

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2013
    People go onto INGO bragging about their guns, but won't record the S/Ns... :rolleyes:

Record it in Excel, paper, or NMCollector, just record it. Personally, I like programs that run from USB, if nothing else, then for convenience.

PS - Welcome to INGO Clay!

Thanks for the welcome!

:)

BTW, I thought of something else that makes my UI different. I require people to "Keep" their changes. This was the result of many requests from people who did not like my old software saving their changes as they entered them. They wanted to know for sure their changes were being saved. They also wanted a way to revert if they did not like their changes. I put this up to a vote and more people liked that approach than disliked it so I went with it. Unfortunately this is not what most people are used to so I do hear complaints about it. I think in a future release I will make it an option so those who want their changes saved immediately don't have to click the keep button. They will lose the revert as well.

Thanks again,

Clay

nmcollector

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2013
    I have to agree with this guy. Don't spend money on something. Use something simple that works, like paper or excel, if anything at all.

Excel used to cost more money than my software but now you can use Open Office for free. :)

BTW, I lost most of my firearms in a tragic boating accident. On that note, if you use a USB flash drive or any other computerized form of storage be sure to backup often and make sure you can recover from backup in case you lose it in a tragic boating accident.

Clay

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have an Excel spreadsheet. It contains:
    Make, model, caliber,ser. #, date purchased, purchase price, current value, picture, range log, notes. I have a separate tab for each firearm I own.

I am a minimalist and this suits me well.

Top Bottom