Firearms Safety Rules (from the late Col Jeff Cooper, shooter, trainer, hero)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    A lot of folks are way "too smart" :rolleyes: for their own good or other's.

They have to over or under think Col Cooper's proven Four Rules Of Firearms Safety.

:nono:

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    “Proven” how?

Every person who says “I didn’t think it was loaded” is just trying to make an excuse for the fact that they didn’t keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.

Cooper’s First Rule was added later because people were doing stupid things with loaded guns. And they still are.

When my eight-year-old son handles everything from a Nerf gun a real firearm, he knows to follow 2 rules: 1: Muzzle. 2: Finger.

There’s no point whatsoever in telling him “all guns are always loaded“ or “treat every gun as if it’s loaded“. Even if I taught him that, what would it mean?

In my book, it would mean to follow NRA’s rule number one and rule number two. Without the ********. With a higher signal-to-noise ratio.

It means I can observe his behavior and correct him immediately without having to explain anything nebulous to him.

Leave the “loaded” part out of the equation. Burn “muzzle” and “finger” into the brains of everyone you teach. Then it won’t matter or not if the gun is loaded, those who are well taught will treat it like a gun regardless.

Reactions: Mij

Mij

Permaplinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    “Proven” how?

Every person who says “I didn’t think it was loaded” is just trying to make an excuse for the fact that they didn’t keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.

Cooper’s First Rule was added later because people were doing stupid things with loaded guns. And they still are.

When my eight-year-old son handles everything from a Nerf gun a real firearm, he knows to follow 2 rules: 1: Muzzle. 2: Finger.

There’s no point whatsoever in telling him “all guns are always loaded“ or “treat every gun as if it’s loaded“. Even if I taught him that, what would it mean?

In my book, it would mean to follow NRA’s rule number one and rule number two. Without the ********. With a higher signal-to-noise ratio.

It means I can observe his behavior and correct him immediately without having to explain anything nebulous to him.

Leave the “loaded” part out of the equation. Burn “muzzle” and “finger” into the brains of everyone you teach. Then it won’t matter or not if the gun is loaded, those who are well taught will treat it like a gun regardless.

100% agree with this.

“Burn “muzzle” into the brains of everyone you teach.”

50+ years later I still remember this, wasn’t my training Co. But another company on the firing line at the same time. A boot rolled over while in the prone position sweeping every trainee on the line. What that DI did to that kid will/does remain with me to this day.

I have a few folks out on occasion to shoot. Nobody is allowed to move a gun from muzzle pointing down range. It’s ingrained in my physique for ever.

Thanks Sgt. Gillroy

Mij

Permaplinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Rule 5, all those rules go out the window when an emergency strikes and adrenaline dumps..
    Maybe, but mussel, brain training, trumps everything. It ain’t TV. JMO

Adrenaline has different effects on different people, especially if you have ever been in a real fight.

For some, time slows down, very slow. Half a second is an eternity. Again JMO.

Reapingxranger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2024
    Closet of your mom’s house.
    Maybe, but mussel, brain training, trumps everything. It ain’t TV. JMO

Adrenaline has different effects on different people, especially if you have ever been in a real fight.

For some, time slows down, very slow. Half a second is an eternity. Again JMO.
    I agree, proper training definitely helps, but unfortunately most gun owners never go through any formal training or even practice with their firearm.

Or worse, they go to someone who knows absolutely nothing and get in an even worse situation

Mij

Permaplinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I agree, proper training definitely helps, but unfortunately most gun owners never go through any formal training or even practice with their firearm.

Or worse, they go to someone who knows absolutely nothing and get in an even worse situation
    Yep, and INGO is chock full of Randos. Most of em are weekend shooters, if that.

****, I’m playing Warcraft rite now. Got two tanks and a whole platoon of infantry.

Mij

Permaplinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    It’s called World Series of poker. Give it a shot.

I’ve been learning what beats what, etc and have made 50M so far (you start with $10,000, in game currency of course)
    Cool, where I play- with real cards- we use pre 1964 quarters. And real bourbon and real cigars.

I’m a beginner though. Still don’t know what beats 3 of a kind.

Reapingxranger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2024
    Cool, where I play- with real cards- we use pre 1964 quarters. And real bourbon and real cigars.

I’m a beginner though. Still don’t know what beats 3 of a kind.
    Oh my lord invite me. I love silver coins, got quite the collection if I say so myself. And who doesn’t love a nice glass of Blantons, horse soldier, eagle rare, or any of the good classics. Pair it with a monte and I’m sold

Mij

Permaplinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Oh my lord invite me. I love silver coins, got quite the collection if I say so myself. And who doesn’t love a nice glass of Blantons, horse soldier, eagle rare, or any of the good classics. Pair it with a monte and I’m sold
    Head on over, first Thursday of each month. In the little barn, park in back. If the bull is there just shoo him away.

Reapingxranger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2024
    Head on over, first Thursday of each month. In the little barn, park in back. If the bull is there just shoo him away.
    Do I have to shoo the bull away? Could I not just take a selfie and ride him off into the sunset?

Also everytime I reply mom views my post, so Hi mom. Are you also a poker player? Are my posts meeting expectations ?

(Secretly me and mom will become best friends in 4 months and 13 days from now, it’s written in the sand in Uganda )

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Do I have to shoo the bull away? Could I not just take a selfie and ride him off into the sunset?

Also everytime I reply mom views my post, so Hi mom. Are you also a poker player? Are my posts meeting expectations ?

(Secretly me and mom will become best friends in 4 months and 13 days from now, it’s written in the sand in Uganda )
    I am a poker player, and given your stated intention for being on the forum, your posts are being monitored. I'm not sure how poker related to the topic of this thread. It seems the poker discussion might be more appropriate for the break room. You may want to start a thread there to discuss it further.

Reapingxranger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2024
    I am a poker player, and given your stated intention for being on the forum, your posts are being monitored. I'm not sure how poker related to the topic of this thread. It seems the poker discussion might be more appropriate for the break room. You may want to start a thread there to discuss it further.
    Appreciated, I’ll have to see if I can find that thread. Once I do please come post some pointers for us beginners. Card games don’t generally interest me but poker has given me a new fancy.

Also would you rather I of lied and just secretly made lame responses? As the other administrator said, come for the classifieds , stay for the forums. I’m finding some interest in some of the topics, but I’m not going to lie and say I’m not waiting for 50 to be able to comment for that gun, but maybe having to wait will let me change my mind and I won’t spend unnecessary money on another rifle lol. (But as stated and promised, my posts will all be genuine and worthy of a point. I don’t do things half assed)

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Appreciated, I’ll have to see if I can find that thread. Once I do please come post some pointers for us beginners. Card games don’t generally interest me but poker has given me a new fancy.

Also would you rather I of lied and just secretly made lame responses? As the other administrator said, come for the classifieds , stay for the forums. I’m finding some interest in some of the topics, but I’m not going to lie and say I’m not waiting for 50 to be able to comment for that gun, but maybe having to wait will let me change my mind and I won’t spend unnecessary money on another rifle lol. (But as stated and promised, my posts will all be genuine and worthy of a point. I don’t do things half assed)
    I'm not sure there is an existing thread discussing poker, but feel free to start one.

Top Bottom