Firearms Safety Rules (from the late Col Jeff Cooper, shooter, trainer, hero)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...Have I ever told anyone here how much I love rekindling this debate?

It's only a debate to the rare few who have trouble with the four rules.

Maybe you should go ahead and start yet another thread about that, rather than pollute this sticky thread on safe gun handling?

:nono:

Last edited:

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    ANY range, hot or cold. Shouldn’t matter, should it?
    I asked because I've been on a hot range when an individual broke the plain re-holstering so bad about 20 of us yelled AAAGGGHHHHH!!! The RSO was Coach, and that individual left shortly after it happened.

loudgroove

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2023
    Lagrange Indiana
    When I was teaching my kids firearm safety. They had to memorize the 4 rules and also Dad's 2 rules.
    Dad's rule 1. Unless you are loading a gun for someone at the range. You drop the Mag, lock the slide back and check to see if it is loaded or not before handing it over with the slide still locked open.
    Dad's rule 2. When receiving a gun from someone, check to see if it's loaded and then still the other rules apply just as much.

cstoltie

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 21, 2020
    Fort Wayne
    And a 5th that has been added to
    LTC Cooper’s list by many of the military branches firearms safety guidelines,
    • Keep your weapon on safe until you intend to fire.
    Just because your finger is off the bang switch, you are pointing in safe direction, and you may not have a target, risk is always present. Safeties, when available, are there for many reasons and situations. Please use them.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Read this article:

The IMPD officer reminds everyone to “treat every gun as if it’s loaded”. The shooter said he “didn’t think the gun was loaded”.

Again, what good does it do teaching everyone to pretend a gun is always loaded when it gives them an excuse to point people and pull the trigger when they think it isn’t?

LOADED OR NOT DOES NOT MATTER. Rule number one for safe gun handling is SAFE DIRECTION ALWAYS.

Oh, and what the hell does a manual safety have to do with anything? Just as likely to get you killed in a high stress situation as prevent stupidity. The best safety in a firearm is between the handler’s ears.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Hell, even a lawyer quoted in that news article gets a teachable moment wrong. It’s negligent homicide because the shooter failed to see if the gun was loaded before pointing it at someone and pulling the trigger? So I guess it is OK to point a gun and someone and pull the trigger after you confirm it’s unloaded?

I’m not talking about legality here, I’m talking about what you would teach your kids. The only time it’s acceptable to point a firearm at anyone whether it’s loaded or not or whether you think it’s loaded or not is if they represent a threat or must need to be stopped to preserve innocent life or prevent grave injury of same. Of course, this excludes professional training scenarios, and things even go wrong there.

Last edited:

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Nothing wrong with Hot Ranges. Coach and I had many discussions on such. The big fail is on how many eyes you have on the crowd.

The theory is you can trust the contestants.

Nope.

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    The beauty of The Four Rules is their simplicity. Long, careful thought about the effect on that is needed before a fifth could ever be added.

I’m sure there were some serious discussions before it went from Three Rules to Four Rules.

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    Read this article:

The IMPD officer reminds everyone to “treat every gun as if it’s loaded”. The shooter said he “didn’t think the gun was loaded”.

Again, what good does it do teaching everyone to pretend a gun is always loaded when it gives them an excuse to point people and pull the trigger when they think it isn’t?

LOADED OR NOT DOES NOT MATTER. Rule number one for safe gun handling is SAFE DIRECTION ALWAYS.

Oh, and what the hell does a manual safety have to do with anything? Just as likely to get you killed in a high stress situation as prevent stupidity. The best safety in a firearm is between the handler’s ears.
    I hate how the word “gunman” gets constantly used. Gotta get the word “gun” in there whenever they can.
    And they still managed it here with a negligent discharge shooting.

“Witnesses claim the shooting was an accident, but that didn’t stop the GUNMAN from being booked into jail…”

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    The beauty of The Four Rules is their simplicity. Long, careful thought about the effect on that is needed before a fifth could ever be added.

I’m sure there were some serious discussions before it went from Three Rules to Four Rules.
    NRA’s 3 Rules are even simpler and came long after Colonel Cooper’s 4 Rules:

If any of you don’t take time to read the whole blog post above (which systematically examines three rules versus four), at least read the last paragraph.

Last edited:

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Teaching new shooters is a challenge and the more information introduced assures a greater percentage will be lost/forgotten because it's all new information to them. When I teach I STRESS, treat every gun you touch like it's loaded. Blue gun, SIRT pistol, anything that resembles a gun and you handle like a gun. "It's a lifestyle change" Clint Smith's phrase, not mine but that is the ONE thing that will keep you and those around you safe.

nickc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2012
    Thanks, these get driven into my kids heada everything they are with me around one.

5 and 3 now. They like to help me clean guns . I let them help clean and preach safety at all times

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Read this article:

Except it doesn't, by pointing a gun at a person because you think it is unloaded is a direct violation of that rule.

NRA’s 3 Rules are even simpler and came long after Colonel Cooper’s 4 Rules:

If any of you don’t take time to read the whole blog post above (which systematically examines three rules versus four), at least read the last paragraph.
    I read it, and honestly I don't really care. Not about the article that is, but the 3 vs 4. Both do the same. But the last paragraph specifically reinforces my statement above.

"Cooper supposedly put “All Guns are Always Loaded” as his rule #1 because the #1 mistake people make handling guns is to violate all the other rules under the excuse that “it’s unloaded”."

If you prefer the 3 rules vs 4, teach that. And vice versa. Either one practiced will result in the same outcome.

Top Bottom