• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fireball1394

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2015
    Northeast Indiana
    Well, I guess the best way to start this thread is with my own personal experience. I work for a local storage facility company. The company I work for is very strict with their weapons/firearms policy. They do not allow us to weapons/firearms while working. We may leave them in our vehicle while at work, but that's it. In November, I was offered an on-site position. Now, the company policy still applies in the on-site living quarters, but it was hard to pass up the offer for a free apartment with all utilities paid for and no commute to work. Plus it gave me more money for ammo and such. Now yes, this technically means I cannot have a firearm or weapon in my apartment.

This leads me to the main part of this discussion. To those of you who work for a company like mine that is very strict on it's weapons in the workplace policy, do you follow it?

Personally, given my position here, I get a free climate controlled storage unit right outside my door. Makes it a great spot to store anything (ammo, parts, etc.). However, I do keep a firearm or two inside my apartment here. I know the consequences that will come if my employer ever finds out, however I'd rather lose my job than lose my life. Now I do not carry at my workplace, due to the fact that I cannot and do not own a handgun because of my age. But with that day approaching fast, I wanted some insight from those that do conceal carry at work when it's against company policy.

Now given we are a small company and there's only 2 of us that work at each site, and I know my co-worker very well, I'm not worried about him coming in one day and, lets just say losing his cool. The bigger issue would be our customers/tenants. A few weeks ago, we had a tenant threaten to, "bomb the office one day when we least expect it". Now this was likely just him upset over the late fees he owed us and didn't mean it, but the PD took the threat seriously and did their investigation. By doing our jobs, we often **** off a lot of people because they owe us large amounts of back rent, or we sell their items off in an auction (it's nothing like storage wars on TV). They day may come where I need to have something more to protect myself, and I'll be willing to lose my job over my life. But what's everyone else's stand point on this?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I'd say you are doing it right. You arent commiting any crimes, and you understand the consequences of your actions and are willing to accept them if something happens.

I would say this is a perfect example of "concealed means CONCEALED".

Good luck!

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I carry at work, in my home, on the road...
    I work for myself, so my situation is different than yours.
    That said, I have customers who, I'm sure, would not be happy if they knew I had a firearm on me while working on their property, be it a home or business.
    Most of my customers know full well that both I and my partner will both be armed, and it often becomes a topic of conversation.
    Both our trucks are covered in 2nd amendment and NRA bumper stickers.
    I wear NRA t-shirts most every day. My hat sports an NRA Certified Instructor pin, along with an NRA Benefactor/Life member pin.
    It's not like I hide my allegiances.

For those whom I believe would take issue with my carrying, what they don't know doesn't hurt/bother them.
    I will not continue to carry into a home or business that has asked me not to, but they have to ask me. I'll ignore a sign, except when it carries the weight of law.
    I will simply let them know, politely, that I choose to arm myself, and if they have a problem with that, they may want to look for another contractor.
    More than one has become a convert over the years. One customer recently asked me about helping her find/choose a firearm for her to keep at home. Five years earlier she was one of he EXTREMELY nervous one's when she first learned I carried.

I've given this ultimatum to but a handful of customers. Only one has moved on.
    Most of my customers would rather look the other way if it bothers them.
    They like the work we do.

I can't in good conscience, give you advice for your situation. I can only tell you what choices I've made, and the consequences of those choices.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I would make a decision that my conscience could live with -- and I would not post on the internet about it.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    You are the 1ST AND LAST line of defense. everybody, everything else is secondary.

There are a lot of shaddy people around storage facilities, specially after dark. I would ask the management what the safety measures they have had already in place. Going there for work and living there are completely different situations.

Fireball1394

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2015
    Northeast Indiana
    I respect everyone's decision not to share their info on the internet about it, purely looking for some input from others that are willing to share. And I see no issue with what I posted. Very generic/vague for a reason.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    Just remember, don't trust anybody.

your co-worker is your friend today, but it can change tomorrow. workplace politics does not discriminate, small or large companies alike.

if you decided to protect yourself with a concealed weapon, keep it concealed.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I carry at work, in my home, on the road...
    I work for myself, so my situation is different than yours.
    That said, I have customers who, I'm sure, would not be happy if they knew I had a firearm on me while working on their property, be it a home or business.
    Most of my customers know full well that both I and my partner will both be armed, and it often becomes a topic of conversation.
    Both our trucks are covered in 2nd amendment and NRA bumper stickers.
    I wear NRA t-shirts most every day. My hat sports an NRA Certified Instructor pin, along with an NRA Benefactor/Life member pin.
    It's not like I hide my allegiances.

For those whom I believe would take issue with my carrying, what they don't know doesn't hurt/bother them.
    I will not continue to carry into a home or business that has asked me not to, but they have to ask me. I'll ignore a sign, except when it carries the weight of law.
    I will simply let them know, politely, that I choose to arm myself, and if they have a problem with that, they may want to look for another contractor.
    More than one has become a convert over the years. One customer recently asked me about helping her find/choose a firearm for her to keep at home. Five years earlier she was one of he EXTREMELY nervous one's when she first learned I carried.

I've given this ultimatum to but a handful of customers. Only one has moved on.
    Most of my customers would rather look the other way if it bothers them.
    They like the work we do.

I can't in good conscience, give you advice for your situation. I can only tell you what choices I've made, and the consequences of those choices.
    This is my situation.^^^^^
    If I were in your situation, I would carry when/where it is legal. The only exception is if the job is SO important to you that you would be devastated to lose that job.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I respect everyone's decision not to share their info on the internet about it, purely looking for some input from others that are willing to share. And I see no issue with what I posted. Very generic/vague for a reason.
    I think their concern is your employer or someone that knows your employer finding out.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    For those of us working in Seymour where a recent episode occurred, there is still some discussion at the water cooler about employer's policy.

i can't carry at work and I'm not risking my paycheck to do so.

Fireball1394

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2015
    Northeast Indiana
    Dirtebiker, I'm not very attached to this job. Currently seeking other employment anyways. And given how remote we are from the company's other locations in our district (we're the only Indiana site in the district), and the lack of firearms enthusiasts as co-workers, I feel pretty safe posting what I did the way I did. But I do understand what you're getting at.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Keep it all your business. Do not chat it up anywhere with the work crowd. Hate to hear if someone lost their job, or residence for the "principle of the rules" excuse.

Yes you have rights, all the way to unemployment. Indiana is an at will employment state.

Good luck.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    202   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I would make a decision that my conscience could live with -- and I would not post on the internet about it.

^^THIS^^ and if you do choose to carry, I would not tell your co-worker, no matter how good of friends you think you are.
    In the work place people get burned all the time by telling a trusted co-worker something, then later on down the road it may be used against you.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    In my years in the field I have learned this....the less your co-workers really know about you the less ammo they have to use when their ass is on the line.

I seldom if ever really befriended a coworker. When I did it usually ended badly. People are not really your friends at work. Just be careful.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    In my years in the field I have learned this....the less your co-workers really know about you the less ammo they have to use when their ass is on the line.

I seldom if ever really befriended a coworker. When I did it usually ended badly. People are not really your friends at work. Just be careful.

There is solid wisdom here, which I personally learned the hard way. Be friendly, talk about the game or the last episode of whatever...just don't talk about YOU because just like talking to the law...anything you say can and will be used against you at some point.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    In your OP, you mention that you know your co-worker well and aren't worried about him.

Well - you should be. You know that HE knows the policies you're under as well. Don't talk guns/ammo/shooting with him. Or keep it to a strict minimum.

What if one day he decides that he wants a "free" place to live? All he has to do is drop a dime on your employer. Granted, you say you're not beholden to this job/living situation (which is good) - but things may change.

Some good things that are in your favor: The landlord / tenant relationships regarding residential entry/notice of entry are probably still enforce in your living situation. It's not like your boss can enter your apartment at any time "to look around". That is your home and there are some pretty strong rules in your favor. I'd still not leave things sitting out - just in case. I'd find some kind of right decent storage locker or smallish good safe for your stuff. Something that you can get in/out easily enough without raising anyone's interest.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

Truth.

My co-workers believe that I'm a 63 year old Guatemalan nanny.

Top Bottom