• ...and so much more!
  • Just Jeremy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2012
    Plainfield
    Prep Work

For Cerakote, what finish should the raw aluminum have? ...I'm in the process of finishing an AR 15 80% Lower, and would like to have it Cerakoted when the machining is done.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    .0015 to .002 is sufficient. Unless you plan on using a colr with a high amount of white pigment.......... then maybe .010. :)

Just Jeremy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2012
    Plainfield
    .0015 to .002 is sufficient. Unless you plan on using a colr with a high amount of white pigment.......... then maybe .010. :)

What sort of prep needs to be done? I have the New Frontier Armory 80% Lower. Their machining was definitely intended for fast production, then it appears to have just been tumbled in some big media.

At any rate, I have a lot of hand finishing to do. Is it best to final prep with a blast media, or would a 400 or 600 Grit sand paper finish be plenty good?

I don't know much about Cerakote or it's properties, such as flow or fill, etc.

Thanks for your time.

I finally figured out what was blocking Cerakote's website, and I found lots of good info here: https://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/resources/files/Cerakote H_C Series Training Manual 22316WEB.pdf

Last edited:

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    It is necessary to sand blast it. not bead blast. You can get away with using play sand. I use 90 grit aluminum oxide to blast with.
    Cerakote needs to have a surface to bite into. If you go to Cerakotes website they have instructions for the whole process

Top Bottom