• ...and so much more!
  • jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    <<Post is ONLY about IN about seller being from IN and buyer being from IN>>

I understand that it's perfectly legal to sell a longgun to a resident of IN provided they are 18+ and not a felon and a handgun to a resident of IN provided they are 21+ and not a felon. From the reading in these boards the sale can be whatever (cash, etc..) and no paperwork if that is how we (both parties) agree to.

Now what if I wish to sell say rifle to person B but go thru an FFL (even if F2f sale). That's a transfer correct? I understand their is a fee (to the FFL) for this but I as the seller do I end up getting some type of paperwork from the FFL saying I sold gun ZYX on date ABC?

Thanks

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Wrong. You can sell ANY gun - handgun or long gun - FTF without the involvement of an FFL.

What you are describing IS an FFL transfer. Most FFL's I've inquired would rather NOT do an NICS check and "transfer" for a FTF sale. You're not going to get anything from the FFL other than maybe a reciept for handing over $10-$50 for no reason.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Wrong. You can sell ANY gun - handgun or long gun - FTF without the involvement of an FFL.

Hum.. that is what I said in the first part of my post. I understand that in a F2F I can sell any gun* for cash and no paperwork.

*so long as I know the person is not a felon & of age.

What I am asking is about the FFL transfer for a F2F. I AM looking to have a paper trail that shows I had xyz gun but later sold it and here is the proof that I sold it. So based on your reply...

What you are describing IS an FFL transfer. Most FFL's I've inquired would rather NOT do an NICS check and "transfer" for a FTF sale. You're not going to get anything from the FFL other than maybe a reciept for handing over $10-$50 for no reason.

The only "proof" I end up with is a reciept of doing an FFL transfer right? Yet the FFL will have the record of said transfer correct?
    :dunno:

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    If you want to CYA legally then have a FFL do the transfer, no court will admit a handwritten receipt as evidence. I always ask to do a FFL transfer when I sell a gun, if they refuse no sale.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I understand that it's perfectly legal to sell a longgun to a resident of IN provided they are 18+ and not a felon and a handgun to a resident of IN provided they are [strike]21[/strike] also 18+ and not a felon.

Minor fix not directly related to your real question.

Handgun sale to 18-20 year old would be a minor area that you could only do a FTF, not through an FFL.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Hum.. that is what I said in the first part of my post. I understand that in a F2F I can sell any gun* for cash and no paperwork.

*so long as I know the person is not a felon & of age.

What I am asking is about the FFL transfer for a F2F. I AM looking to have a paper trail that shows I had xyz gun but later sold it and here is the proof that I sold it. So based on your reply...

The only "proof" I end up with is a reciept of doing an FFL transfer right? Yet the FFL will have the record of said transfer correct?
    :dunno:

My issue with your first statement is that selling a handgun to a person who is under the age of 21 is perfectly legal as long as they're over 18, for a private sale. You will NOT be able to transfer a handgun to a person under the age of 21 through an FFL.

There will be a record in the FFL's bound book. NICS destroys the record of the background check. Since there is no registration of firearms in Indiana, there's not going to be any governmental record of that firearm transfer. In the event your FFL dies or ceases operations, his records go to the ATF. In the event that you sold a gun that was later used in a crime - how long would it take to get that information if the FFL is out of business? quite a while.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    If you want to CYA legally then have a FFL do the transfer, no court will admit a handwritten receipt as evidence. I always ask to do a FFL transfer when I sell a gun, if they refuse no sale.

Thanks all this above pertty mush sums it up for me in terms of CYA.

My issue with your first statement is that selling a handgun to a person who is under the age of 21 is perfectly legal as long as they're over 18, for a private sale. You will NOT be able to transfer a handgun to a person under the age of 21 through an FFL.

There will be a record in the FFL's bound book. NICS destroys the record of the background check. Since there is no registration of firearms in Indiana, there's not going to be any governmental record of that firearm transfer. In the event your FFL dies or ceases operations, his records go to the ATF. In the event that you sold a gun that was later used in a crime - how long would it take to get that information if the FFL is out of business? quite a while.

Good to know. Not that I have any plans to sell any of my firearms that are at the bottom of Lake MI. :D Being in NWI we tend to lose all our firearms every time we go to the lake. :laugh:

Top Bottom