Firearm retrieval - should I get the police involved?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Dude, if you are in the middle of a custody battle you already have an attorney (if you don't you should) , USE HIM. Then there are no questions at all as to notification, process, etc. no one will be able to claim you didn't perform your due diligence. Have your attorney due everything through HER attorney. No asshat BF, no difficult ex and everything is ON THE RECORD!

Plus you have the benefit of LEGAL ADVICE. Did I mention if you aren't using a attorney you should be.

Problem solved.

Knowing there are legal issues in the mix as well, i like this with the registered mail/return receipt ideas. If you really believe this to be a dangerous situation for your child, I would consult the attorney and follow their advice. If it's really a big deal, it's worth the few extra bucks to get your attorney's input in conjunction with the other issues I'm sure are being contested.

Tranquil

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 1, 2013
    Plainfield
    Sounds to me like there is more to this emotionally than OP is letting on......................:dunno:

This was my first thought as well. No offense, OP.. but it's not that big of a deal. I'm sure Mr. Special Forces has a weapon he prefers over something you'd be willing to hand over to her.

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    This was my first thought as well. No offense, OP.. but it's not that big of a deal. I'm sure Mr. Special Forces has a weapon he prefers over something you'd be willing to hand over to her.

No offense taken at all. No extraneous emotional things provoking this, honestly. We've been broken up for 3 years, I'm in a long-term committed relationship.

The situation made me wonder what constitutes proof of who owns the firearms. If anything, it taught me the lesson of a Bill of Sale anytime a weapon leaves my possession.

silverspoon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Bloomfield
    Geez, there is no "registration" of the firearm. Give'em the box and papers, tell'em there's a recall on the cheap POS and it needs to be sent in so Good Luck! and walk away. This is kinda sick but since your in a custody battle the best you can hope for is the dang thing to misfire at just the right time and save you a lot of time, money and effort and you walk away with your kid. Problem solved. :rockwoot:

Top Bottom