• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    What are your firearm horror stories? We all love shooting/collecting and generally have a good time doing these things, but what about the darker side? There are threads here from time to time about bad experiences from individual posters but how about we aggregate our experiences in this one thread? I'll start:

Back in the day when I first was getting into the NFA game, I went to a small dealer that was recommended to me by a friend to buy a supressor. I paid for the can and paid the tax to the dealer who said he would send the forms and the tax to ATF. Over a year came and went without anything from ATF. I had been calling ATF who said that the serial number was not in the system. The dealer kept telling me that everything was ok and normal. I finally got fed up and asked the dealer for a refund, and he wrote me a check...which bounced. I tried to fix this with the dealer and he disappeared altogether. I had an attorney send him a letter threatening a lawsuit and then he finally paid me in cash. All was square as far as I was concerned and I went and bought a can elsewhere. A year went by, I had my can for a while and one day I get a call from ATF asking about my can. They wanted to see the serial number because they found a dealer who was missing several items. I complied and all was well on my end according to ATF. Evidently the dealer had approved forms with mine (and other customers) info on them, but couldn't produce the cans. The serial numbers on the forms did not match the serial numbers I had been given. This was where I was no longer involved, nor did I get any more info about the situation, but the theory was that the dealer was getting these cans approved, providing the incorrect serial numbers to the buyers and then moving the suppressors to unqualified individuals under the table.

Ok, that's my story. Whats yours? :popcorn:

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    My horror story was being so broke back in college, that I sold my Ruger MK l, my Remington Wingmaster 870 12 gauge left hand, and my Browning BL-22.

To this day I regret it, though the Ruger has come back home as of three weeks ago (my brother sold it back to me). I contacted the guy with my 870 (sold it to him in 1983) but he refuses to give it up, still turkey hunts with it every year.

I've got 3 of my original 5 guns back. I will have to buy an 870 and a Browning BL-22.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Had a couple, and are much less mundane that posted earlier.

1) I was probably 12 or 13, on one of my first quail hunts. Long day, and very few birds. Our last stop was an old barn and we thought we might flush out some doves to at least have something to shoot at. I was shooting my trusty New England 12Ga Single Shot.

One guy went into the barn and started kicking doors and slamming boards. Out flew a few doves from the barn. I raised my gun, cocked the hammer, and prepared to fire. Before I could squeeze off the round, another guy in our group shot the dove I had drawn a bead on. Since there was no longer a target, I pointed my gun towards the ground, and proceded to de-cock by grasping the hammer with my thumb, and slowly pulling the trigger, a procedure I'd practiced many times before and had done safely each of the times I'd done it in the past.

Well, until this time. Evidently my gloves didn't give me a good grip, and my thumb slipped from the hammer, allowing it to fall on the firing pin. BOOM! The gun fired and blew a nice hole in the ground about 12" in front of my foot. My gun was in a safe direction, but I would have liked it to be a little farther in front of my foot!!! That scared me quite a bit.

2) Earlier this year I was coming inside to use the rest room after working outside for a while. I had my G19 on in an IWB holster, like usual. I undid my belt, and proceded to use the bathroom. Unknown to me, the loose belt, sweat, and other factors resulted in the holster flipping upside down and dropping my glock on the floor directly on the rear of the slide. I felt it start to flip, but couldn't react quickly enough. I distinctly remember watching it in super slo-mo and the barrel was pointing right at my head.

I'm glad that the distance it fell was short, and the impact not enough to cause the striker to move and discharge a round, or I would be a gonner.

Lets just say I'm a lot more careful now about how I secure the gun prior to a bathroom break, and am wary of leather holsters that can get slick when soaked with sweat.

Bahbo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 2, 2012
    ON your glock story it would be very very unlikely that your glock would discharge from falling from most any reasonable distance. It is designed not to fire without the trigger safety and firing pin block safety being deactivated first (ie pulling the trigger).

thanks

Bahbo

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    I placed the base(cap nipple end down) of a barrel of a .32cal black powder rifle in a container of moose milk for a time less than a day. Can anyone tell me the result of that brain cramp? Horror...

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    Had a couple, and are much less mundane that posted earlier.

1) I was probably 12 or 13, on one of my first quail hunts. Long day, and very few birds. Our last stop was an old barn and we thought we might flush out some doves to at least have something to shoot at. I was shooting my trusty New England 12Ga Single Shot.

One guy went into the barn and started kicking doors and slamming boards. Out flew a few doves from the barn. I raised my gun, cocked the hammer, and prepared to fire. Before I could squeeze off the round, another guy in our group shot the dove I had drawn a bead on. Since there was no longer a target, I pointed my gun towards the ground, and proceded to de-cock by grasping the hammer with my thumb, and slowly pulling the trigger, a procedure I'd practiced many times before and had done safely each of the times I'd done it in the past.

Well, until this time. Evidently my gloves didn't give me a good grip, and my thumb slipped from the hammer, allowing it to fall on the firing pin. BOOM! The gun fired and blew a nice hole in the ground about 12" in front of my foot. My gun was in a safe direction, but I would have liked it to be a little farther in front of my foot!!! That scared me quite a bit.

2) Earlier this year I was coming inside to use the rest room after working outside for a while. I had my G19 on in an IWB holster, like usual. I undid my belt, and proceded to use the bathroom. Unknown to me, the loose belt, sweat, and other factors resulted in the holster flipping upside down and dropping my glock on the floor directly on the rear of the slide. I felt it start to flip, but couldn't react quickly enough. I distinctly remember watching it in super slo-mo and the barrel was pointing right at my head.

I'm glad that the distance it fell was short, and the impact not enough to cause the striker to move and discharge a round, or I would be a gonner.

Lets just say I'm a lot more careful now about how I secure the gun prior to a bathroom break, and am wary of leather holsters that can get slick when soaked with sweat.

I've dropped my Kel Tec quite a few times when I had my old holster.

I carry a G19 as well, it's my favorite gun. If you don't pull the trigger, it won't fire.

I threw mine down the stairs. No discharge.

There's a story of a cop that got hit by a car, his G22 flew 40 feet and landed in the street. It was fine. I can't think of any way a Glock can fire without the trigger being pulled.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Had a sweet collection of military firearms from WWII-Korea and a few from the Nam. My uncles assisted heavily in my acquiring these.
    Long story short, weekend racing trip to Beech Bend Dragway for the bracket finals. Returned home, 1st wife, kids, furniture, cars, "Guns".......Gone. Never recovered, she got in no trouble even as I pressed this to the limits. Hell with the furniture and the cars and I eventually won custody of the kids. The only one I did not loose was my uncles 1911 he carried through Korea and the Nam. It was in my Dads safety deposit box. I still have that. I am afraid loosing that one would have landed me in the penitentiary.

Kedric

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Grant Co.
    The only real 'horror' story I have (so far!) was when I was in the Army. I was working in the armory helping a buddy of mine, and we were in the middle of a rifle turn in from new recruits who were just starting the BRM section of their basic training.

This one genius shoves the barrel through the window, slams the butt down on the counter (both actions of which were against the way they had been told to turn in their rifles), and POW a round goes off, right past my left ear close enough I felt the wind. It was a very close call, indeed.

Needless to say, the DS spent the rest of the afternoon smoking that private, who later ended up washing out.

I have had to sell a few rifles that I miss to this day, but otherwise my gun experiences have been pretty positive.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    ON your glock story it would be very very unlikely that your glock would discharge from falling from most any reasonable distance. It is designed not to fire without the trigger safety and firing pin block safety being deactivated first (ie pulling the trigger).

thanks

Bahbo

I'm very glad they designed them that way. That is a feature I'm glad they have, but wish I hadn't have tested it. For those of you wondering...it does work!

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Since you asked, cousin Ronnie made the 6 oclock news. He was 19, fresh.out of high school, and had moved to Ft Wayne to make his fortune cooking, if I remember correctly, chicken, for a slightly older friend of his who managed the restaurant. This genius had a New Years Eve party to which, apparently, he invited lots of people. With the prerequisite keg. While finishing off said keg the next day, he decides to show off his fancy new mossberg. He then proceeded to wave it around, point it at cousin Ron's side, and pull the trigger. At pretty much point blank range. Doctors can only do so much, and cousin Ron made the six oclock news. I don't have much patience with people who point firearms at other people.

Top Bottom