• ...and so much more!
  • Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    Some go up some go down.

My first AK new for $125.00 first AR $575.00. Hard to find new ones for that now. I guess that means they went up in value and were a good investment. I don't buy guns as an investment to make money but because I want the guns. Anything you buy is only worth what you get when you sell it, since I am not interested in selling any of my guns they must be worthless ;). You probably are not going to get rich selling guns as a private collector but more power to you if you can. You will never change the mind of anyone that doesn't like firearms that guns are good for anything.

jon5212

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Lots of those, they just don't sell very well.

Am I missing the sarcasm he may be saying? You can buy brand new glocks for that price. I certainly wouldn't consider a gun an investment. Maybe if I hit the lotto I'd buy some rare ones... other than that they are a tool and protection nothing more to me.

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    I bought my Sig P226 Blackwater hoping it would retain it's value and maybe gain value. I hoping it even more now that they are no longer in production.

Now my Sig P220 or Taurus PT99, being a "dime a dozen" gun, I don't see them maintaining or gaining value if the gun market stays the same as it is now.

jbhummer2

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    north central IN
    Guns will always be worth something. usually they go up in value. I saw a chart on a M1 Garand and they went up alot over time. I wish I could remember where I saw it.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    firearms can be a very good investment if you buy the guns right and dont over pay for them
    The way I see it there are two ways to make buying guns a good investment.

#1 buying them at less than market value.
    I talked to a guy who told me that he would never buy a "like new" gun unless it was at least 30% less than he could buy the gun for new. That I would call an investment. I have been following that rule of thumb and I think it's working out well for me so far.

#2 buying a plentiful gun that is starting to become more rare. Somebody mentioned buying Mosins. I have no idea if they will become rare in my lifetime, but I have fair amount of confidence that they will become more rare in my childrens lifetime.

WIZZO499

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Well, hell.

Based on this thread, I'm gonna go buy 100 Glocks, put 100,000rds through every one of them, and sell them in 40 years for $5,000 apiece.

It's gotta work..........:nuts:

Gun values are based on condition and rarity. If you're buying 1,000 G17's, compared to 1,000 Ed Browns (ignoring the price difference for now) you'll be much better off with the rarer Browns.

Why do you think all these Mosin Nagants are selling for $80? There's millions of them available.

If you go and dump money into some class 3 stuff, you'll get a return on that, barring the 86 MG ban being overturned. Why? Because they are rare (comparatively) and they aren't making any more (legally).

Just my opinion.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    Well, hell.

Based on this thread, I'm gonna go buy 100 Glocks, put 100,000rds through every one of them, and sell them in 40 years for $5,000 apiece.

I don't think that any of the people who suggested that guns can be be a good investment suggested such a thing.
    Gun values are based on condition and rarity. If you're buying 1,000 G17's, compared to 1,000 Ed Browns (ignoring the price difference for now) you'll be much better off with the rarer Browns.

Why do you think all these Mosin Nagants are selling for $80? There's millions of them available.
    and clearly my speculation that Mosins will become more rare in my children's lifetime was just that, speculation. But at $80 to $100 a pop I believe it to be a reasonable low risk speculation.
    If you go and dump money into some class 3 stuff, you'll get a return on that, barring the 86 MG ban being overturned. Why? Because they are rare (comparatively) and they aren't making any more (legally).

Just my opinion.

WIZZO499

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Delmar, don't take offense to the Mosin comment, it wasn't focused at you.

With everything surplus, we will eventually run out of supply, but the rate of return might be so low, that it might not be worth it depending on inflation and what they end up being worth down the road.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    Delmar, don't take offense to the Mosin comment, it wasn't focused at you.

With everything surplus, we will eventually run out of supply, but the rate of return might be so low, that it might not be worth it depending on inflation and what they end up being worth down the road.
    That's OK! I'm just thinking of buying two instead of one, so that I have one to hand down to each of my kids. I'm betting by the time they hand them down they will be quite something to own!

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    Well, hell.

Just my opinion.
    Think of it this way.
    If the economy stays on an upward trend the 100 Glocks, purchased for $500.00 each, would be worth around $1300.00 each in forty years. That's at an annual value increase rate of 2.5% compounded, which is average for common gun types, providing that they are in good working order .

Of course if the economy goes to Hell, and/or SHTF, each one would be worth many times it's weight in gold because, if for no other reason, it will allow it's owner to keep the gold, diamonds, gasoline, food, water, and anything else of material value that he/she already has.
    Not to mention the lives of himself/herself and his/her loved ones and friends.
    Under TEOTWAWKI conditions the value of guns, ammunition, and associated items will be the benchmark for all transactions.
    Think in terms of a Mad Max scenario.
    And if anyone thinks that such a scenario is impossible they'd better get their head out of their *ss and either start preparing to fight or surrender.
    Those will be the only options.
    It happened to the Sumerians, Aztecs, Toltecs, Mayans, Greeks, Romans, Egyptians, and all such "Superpowers".
    The only difference between them and us is that we have nicer toys.
    Other than that we are identical to them and can/will suffer the same fate.
    Just my :twocents: on the subject.
    Mike

WIZZO499

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    I understand the thought of buying a few guns as an investment. The limited runs of Carbonia Colt 1911's is an excellent example of that.

But a run of the mill firearm is not a good investment if you're talking about actually making real money. The 2.5% isn't much of a return on an investment from a financial point of view.

That's all I'm trying to say.

By all means, I'm not trying to tell anyone to not buy guns. In fact, buy a bunch! Just don't be one of those guys that thinks their crap is Gold if they in fact have a very run of the mill standard firearm. I buy crap because I want it. Most, I search until I find something that's less than current market value, not for resale in mind, but to just get a better bang for my buck. I'm not expecting to go out and buy a standard Springfield GI for $500, shoot it for years (or even not at all) and expect to make anything on it. It's a very common firearm and will therefore have a bunch of competition for the price.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    Investments are investments. My real estate, stock and precious metal investments are all calculated means of making money that I neither love nor hate. I have an emotionless relationship with them. That is why I pick good investments.

Guns are guns. I buy and shoot what I love.

You can't love your investments and you can't be emotionless about your guns. The two are completely separate. There is no need to justify your gun purchases to yourself with the term "investment". You are buying what you like shooting and there need be no more reason than that.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    I understand the thought of buying a few guns as an investment. The limited runs of Carbonia Colt 1911's is an excellent example of that.

But a run of the mill firearm is not a good investment if you're talking about actually making real money. The 2.5% isn't much of a return on an investment from a financial point of view.

That's all I'm trying to say.

By all means, I'm not trying to tell anyone to not buy guns. In fact, buy a bunch! Just don't be one of those guys that thinks their crap is Gold if they in fact have a very run of the mill standard firearm. I buy crap because I want it. Most, I search until I find something that's less than current market value, not for resale in mind, but to just get a better bang for my buck. I'm not expecting to go out and buy a standard Springfield GI for $500, shoot it for years (or even not at all) and expect to make anything on it. It's a very common firearm and will therefore have a bunch of competition for the price.
    Actually, for me at least, 2.5% per year compounded is a pretty good return when compared to Bank rates and not nearly as risky as The Stock Market.
    Besides you can't take your stock investments out and play with them.
    (Unless you're Scrooge McDuck.) :D
    Mike

Top Bottom