• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I don't get the people who say that anything above a .22LR is basically equal.

While I realize shot placement is the MOST important thing, there is a significant difference between a less than 1/4 inch hole & an almost 1/2 in hole given equal shot placement. That is completely ignoring the more significant wound channel from the higher velocities & hollow point expansion.

I'm a data kind of guy, so here is a link to a recent INGO post of the subject:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/159586-handgun_stopping_power_article.html

Sure surprised me! Facts don't lie, though.

thecollector

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    NWI
    Pistol size really doesn't make a difference; a gun will shoot bullets and will incapacitate the victim in whatever way the shooter shoots. A 9mm and a .308 are completely different sizes but will still do the job. In the end it comes down what type you want to carry and what feels right to shoot for YOU.

SHEEPdOHdoubleG

Plinker
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    East Central Indiana
    Well, I just wanted to tell everyone I decided to go ahead and get the little LCP and it is great. Obviously, I can't put a bullet on a dime at 20m with it but it's accurate enough to do it at 5. That's all I need it for anyway. I am really impressed with this little gun. I knew it was hugely popular about a year and a half ago when it came out, but man, couldn't be happier with it!

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    I carry a Walther pk380 and I feel nowhere near underarmed with the .380. Some people like to give crap about the .380, and though I disagree with them, I just tell them I'd rather fight a guy with 2 bullets in him than a fully healthy man.

Relatively Ninja

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Well, I just wanted to tell everyone I decided to go ahead and get the little LCP and it is great. Obviously, I can't put a bullet on a dime at 20m with it but it's accurate enough to do it at 5. That's all I need it for anyway. I am really impressed with this little gun. I knew it was hugely popular about a year and a half ago when it came out, but man, couldn't be happier with it!

Congrats man! I've heard those are great little guns, I'm glad you enjoy it. Also, excellent avatar :rockwoot:

SHEEPdOHdoubleG

Plinker
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    East Central Indiana
    Congrats man! I've heard those are great little guns, I'm glad you enjoy it. Also, excellent avatar :rockwoot:

Ha thanks. The camera man was getting a little testy... god rest his soul.

PS I like the User name... I'm guessin that has something to do with the "Mall Ninja"?? I just read the whole original thread from Glock Talk today... HILARIOUS... it was my first experience with it...

:mallninja::mallninja:and I loved it. :mallninja:

Relatively Ninja

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Ha thanks. The camera man was getting a little testy...

He was getting testy because you kept pointing a gun at him? Or did you point the gun at him so he would stop being testy? ;)

My name has nothing to do with the Mall Ninja, although that's an interpretation I haven't thought of yet. Although that story is definitely a winner!

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    My name has nothing to do with the Mall Ninja, although that's an interpretation I haven't thought of yet. Although that story is definitely a winner!

LIAR LIAR LIAR...You try and emulate him in all aspects of your life. The LCP you speak of is just your 5th gun hidden on your person...Kahr PM9, Smith 442, Walther .380 (for the ladies), and the Chief Special being the other four.

You conceal 5 guns because you want to have the right gun for the job:

Kahr PM9 is for terrorist yuppies and shoplifters
    S&W 442 if for the serious terrorist work...with 2 speedloaders in tow.
    Walther .380 is just to show the ladies when you're trying to get laid(always trying, never happens)...you've never shot it, but you do have the full James Bond DVD collection.
    S&W Chief Special is for the middle-aged madman who must be put down with 158gr full wadcutters...you carry 8 speed strip re-loads.
    LCP cuz it's cool and is a good NY reload for the PM9.

:laugh:

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I don't think you can really speak as to what you feel under-gunned with until you've been in a situation that's forced that to become a consideration.

I can say this, I've been there before. The only worse thing than being in a situation like that is being concerned that if you shoot, you'll only make the situation worse and get killed. Sure, a solid shot to the face with about anything will end the encounter, but if your heart is pounding in that situation it feels a lot easier to go COM.

Considering how fat some people are, I've taken that into consideration. I feel safe with anything 9mm or bigger, as long as it doesn't have excessive recoil. Bullet selection goes a long way as well, as I choose heavy and high-expansion for smaller calibers, and light-slow expansion for larger calibers. Out of everything I feel safest with 10mm if I have no idea what the situation could involve. Run of the mill mugging situation, I wouldn't feel undergunned with a 32 unless he had a gun in my face. Of course, I feel better armed with my knife than I do most of the mouse guns, for their intended ranges. I think a proper knife is really under rated these days, lol.

SHEEPdOHdoubleG

Plinker
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    East Central Indiana
    I don't think you can really speak as to what you feel under-gunned with until you've been in a situation that's forced that to become a consideration.

I can say this, I've been there before. The only worse thing than being in a situation like that is being concerned that if you shoot, you'll only make the situation worse and get killed. Sure, a solid shot to the face with about anything will end the encounter, but if your heart is pounding in that situation it feels a lot easier to go COM.

Considering how fat some people are, I've taken that into consideration. I feel safe with anything 9mm or bigger, as long as it doesn't have excessive recoil. Bullet selection goes a long way as well, as I choose heavy and high-expansion for smaller calibers, and light-slow expansion for larger calibers. Out of everything I feel safest with 10mm if I have no idea what the situation could involve. Run of the mill mugging situation, I wouldn't feel undergunned with a 32 unless he had a gun in my face. Of course, I feel better armed with my knife than I do most of the mouse guns, for their intended ranges. I think a proper knife is really under rated these days, lol.

I appreciate your feedback. I understand completely what you are saying. I was just wondering, 1) what do you prefer about the 10mm besides the fact that particular ammo is so abundant? ;) haha just joking, I would really like to know because there is a 10mm glock for sale locally I was interested in. 2) If you don't mind me asking, I was wondering if you could enlighten us all on the situation you were in where you were forced to contemplate the thought of being possibly outgunned. I assure you, I only want to know because I feel like real life stories from people who have been there are the best way to learn how to adapt and train realistic threats or events.

If you do not want to tell your story that is completely respectable too.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    I'm a data kind of guy, so here is a link to a recent INGO post of the subject:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/159586-handgun_stopping_power_article.html

Sure surprised me! Facts don't lie, though.

From the article:

What I believe that my numbers show is that in the majority of shootings, the person shot merely gives up without being truly incapacitated by the bullet. In such an event, almost any bullet will perform admirably. If you want to be prepared to deal with someone who won't give up so easily, or you want to be able to have good performance even after shooting through an intermediate barrier, I would skip carrying the "mouse gun" .22s, .25s and .32s.

I completely agree with his "bottom line" assessment.

Any gun is better than no gun since most BG's don't want to get shot AT ALL even with a .22LR. Once they get shot, they STOP.

The problem then becomes, "what if they don't want to stop?"

The solution becomes "you need a gun that will have a higher chance of MAKING them stop."

EVERYTHING ELSE BEING EQUAL, the larger calibers can do that.

It's all a balance...& always is. Carry the biggest round that you feel comfortable with. If I had a choice between a .22LR & a .45, EVERYTHING ELSE BEING EQUAL, I'd carry the .45. EVERYTHING ELSE BEING EQUAL, a .45 is going to have a higher probability of stopping someone WHO DOESN'T WANT TO BE STOPPED than a .22.

My balance is the 9mm or sometimes my .40.

Top Bottom