• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Expat-Trav

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2012
    North Indiana
    Soooo I've been reading these excellent forums and been to some of my local stores, even rented a few of my shortlist choices. Spent a bit on ammo and traveling around.

Went to the Nappanee gun show a couple of weeks ago and finally decided on my first purchase...

Springfield XD 40 SC :)

Sadly i couldn't leave with my purchase and had to wait till last Saturday to pick it up. (my crappy work hours not the vendor).

Actually got to take it to the range today and although i rented a xd40sc earlier on this week to keep my cravings at bay till i could get mine in my hands.

Very happy with my purchase. Although for the first 30 rounds i was all over the place. i guess this is where practice makes perfect. :)

jaybird_123

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Just around the corner.
    Welcome to the forum. Nice gun purchase. Yes, practice as much as you can, then practice some more. I only use life size human shaped targets. I figure if I ever HAVE to shoot something, it will be human, so may as well be prepaired.

Expat-Trav

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2012
    North Indiana
    Thank you. I really wanted a Glock but after picking up the XD i was sold !

Think i did ok for the price $513 with tax.

IMG_0582.jpg

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Great gun, good price. I like XD's although I don't have any at the moment. Practice is the key. Even if its just target shooting at the range better than nothing. Basic marksmanship skills is where is all starts.

Congratulations and welcome to the forum.

Expat-Trav

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2012
    North Indiana
    Thank you :)

I tried to get on with the 9 round magazine, but without a spot for my pinky it was close to useless. i think there is a vendor that sells a slightly curved piece of plastic that replaces the flat without adding much bulk that will help.

Of course the bigger magazine would fix it all together, but increases the risk of printing.

I'm a pretty large guy so I'll probably look at an under arm holster but finding one that I'm comfortable with at a sensible price is going to be a challenge.

choices choices.

Last edited:

HalfCocked

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Welcome and congrats on your purchase. I have the xd40 sc. It takes some practice to be at all accurate. It has a very short site radius. The little extensions for the mag (Pearce grips) help a lot.

Expat-Trav

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2012
    North Indiana
    Welcome and congrats on your purchase. I have the xd40 sc. It takes some practice to be at all accurate. It has a very short site radius. The little extensions for the mag (Pearce grips) help a lot.

Ah thats what they are called !! :)

$7.75 on my favorite online book seller. SOLD ! :)

Thanks.

XDLover

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Delaware County
    Welcome to the XD club. You got yourself a nice gun at a good price.
    Practice and more practice. Buy some cheap ammo and practice more.

Expat-Trav

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2012
    North Indiana
    As its my birthday tomorrow ill be going shopping for a holster as I have my carry permit.

Think ill try a shoulder holster first. I drive at least a couple of hours a day and think that's what is going to work best for me.

I know I'm probably going a little off topic here and i know i should spend more time reading the forums, but are there any preferred discount ammunition guys who would be worthy of some coin ?

Thanks in advance.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    As its my birthday tomorrow ill be going shopping for a holster as I have my carry permit.

Think ill try a shoulder holster first. I drive at least a couple of hours a day and think that's what is going to work best for me.

I know I'm probably going a little off topic here and i know i should spend more time reading the forums, but are there any preferred discount ammunition guys who would be worthy of some coin ?

Thanks in advance.

No to be an a**, but if you are new to handguns (and it sounds like you are) I would really suggest a belt holster of some fashion before the shoulder rig. Shoulder rigs can be great for comfort, but the motion to draw requires additional practice to do it safely (instead of just clear and thrust, you have to clear, roll, and then thrust.)

A good belt holster is comfortable in the car while being easier for starting out, IME.

Expat-Trav

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2012
    North Indiana
    wasnt taken that way and i always appreciate input. After all isn't that the whole reason for the forums ? :)

I did consider a belt holster (IWB or OWB), but sadly i'm on the heavy/ v.heavy side and theres little room in the car between me and the seatbelt buckle / center armrest as it is. I might revisit after i loose some pounds.

I also looked at a small of back option, but with winter coming rapidly i have concerns with slipping on ice and landing on it, which would probably put me in the hospital.

You are absolutely right more practice is needed to be an effective carry option. But i see it the lesser of the two evils over an ankle rig.

Is it just me or does everyone else find it difficult to narrow down your ideal holster, harder than finding your ideal handgun ? :dunno:

Indycobalt19

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    wasnt taken that way and i always appreciate input. After all isn't that the whole reason for the forums ? :)

I did consider a belt holster (IWB or OWB), but sadly i'm on the heavy/ v.heavy side and theres little room in the car between me and the seatbelt buckle / center armrest as it is. I might revisit after i loose some pounds.

I also looked at a small of back option, but with winter coming rapidly i have concerns with slipping on ice and landing on it, which would probably put me in the hospital.

You are absolutely right more practice is needed to be an effective carry option. But i see it the lesser of the two evils over an ankle rig.

Is it just me or does everyone else find it difficult to narrow down your ideal holster, harder than finding your ideal handgun ? :dunno:

actually its not to bad i think, i just told the shop what i wanted and they made me a custom holster ;) fit perfectly and thats my EDC holster now

Top Bottom