• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Well after quite awhile of scouring the pawnshops, internet and gunbroker I landed a Marlin 336 .35rem for $405.56 plus transfer fee. Rifle was made in 1987 and is great condition. Has the normal stock marks for a hunting rifle but hey it aint gonna be a museum piece. Its gonna take some deer hunting season 2014/15! Now to find some brass and projectiles and a die set and load me up some. I think I did alright considering the cheapest I could find new was $510 plus tax for a new one with questionable quality. Guess Remington just aint keeping up the Marlin tradition. BTW :rockwoot:
    marlin 336.jpg

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    144   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Welcome to the 35 Remington club. I built mine on a T/C Contender and for the first time since rifles were allowed for deer I will not be switching to a new chambering for the next deer season. I took 5 deer with 5 shots from 40-200 yards and got great performance from the Hornady 180gr SP-SSP, which will not work for your Marlin unfortunately.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I pimped mine a bit last night, also a TC Contender. I gotta yank the screws and clean them up (are as purchased).
    Gunkoted at 2AM..........the factoyr Choate plastic cap gone, an old TC Cougar grip is of same shape, but the holes didn't line up well, took a bit of tweaking.

Welcome to the club! :)

002.JPG

nwigunner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    NWI
    I have a Marlin Model 336A that was made in the 50s passed down from my grandfather. The finish of the gun is amazing for the age.

Sam7157

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2014
    Waynetown
    Great gun. My dad has one and we get it out every once in a while. I have not had any luck finding brass. I'll stick with my 44 for deer hunting.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    And if you don't reload you can shoot up your factory ammo and have B&K in Peru trim and load it for you :)
    Buddy got out of TC handguns, gave me a box of Hornady's and 100 new cases.
    Think I'll have my youngest trim them for me at Gramp's. He's got dies.
    Found 1K primers I misplaced............just gotta figure out what powder to run, proly just call Bob at B&K and use whatever he did.
    With my stock changed, pimped grip cap............and cheekpiece, I'm really diggin' my little rifle more and more.

Maybe I should slap together another in stainless ;)

Alas, the deer hunting sucked so bad last yr, it barely justifies the rig I have.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    And if you don't reload you can shoot up your factory ammo and have B&K in Peru trim and load it for you :)
    Buddy got out of TC handguns, gave me a box of Hornady's and 100 new cases.
    Think I'll have my youngest trim them for me at Gramp's. He's got dies.
    Found 1K primers I misplaced............just gotta figure out what powder to run, proly just call Bob at B&K and use whatever he did.
    With my stock changed, pimped grip cap............and cheekpiece, I'm really diggin' my little rifle more and more.

Maybe I should slap together another in stainless ;)

Alas, the deer hunting sucked so bad last yr, it barely justifies the rig I have.

Deer hunting sucked? I got 2. You got bad breathe? Are you noisy in the woods? Maybe they can see the sparkly pimping stuff on your long guns from valleys away? :laugh: Im gonna get some .35 cases in qty when they get back in stock at midway. I got all summer to work a load up and scope the rifle. Its sure a shame I have another Marlin lever action 30-30 sitting in the safe with no real purpose in life.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Deer hunting sucked? I got 2. You got bad breathe? Are you noisy in the woods? Maybe they can see the sparkly pimping stuff on your long guns from valleys away? :laugh: Im gonna get some .35 cases in qty when they get back in stock at midway. I got all summer to work a load up and scope the rifle. Its sure a shame I have another Marlin lever action 30-30 sitting in the safe with no real purpose in life.

After several dozen kills I'm getting kind of picky. Had a 140" buck on camera, small drop tine too..............never saw him.
    Would have taken the 8 that was right at P&Y min, but he too never showed in daylight.
    No bucks seen in gun.
    Lots of pressure nearby had things way out of whack, starting in early bow............and that added to the suck.

I used to hunt way better ground, so this smaller stuff, with lesser bucks (this past season the best ones we've gotten on camera)............just doesn't cut it. Not sure how many more yrs I have trying to get into P&Y the "proper" way ;)

60# recurve gets tougher and tougher every yr.

Popped a doe with my .35 rem to get some stuff for the grill. I won't shoot another doe with a rifle, didn't set well with me.
    Maybe one with the Python now and then, but my preference is to bow smack 'em.

Top Bottom