• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99%
    95   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Okiegirl, have you shot that S&W in the dark? Beautiful pistol, but I wonder what those ports would do to your vision at night if you needed to use it in self defense. Could be nothing at all, but I'm curious what you thought if you did any night shooting with it.

Looks like just slots in the slide, I think it still has a full length barrel... I think.

Never owned a Smith... now I want one.

Last edited:

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    I do the same thing with my TCP BUG. I keep mine on the passenger side though. Easy to reach, and easily concealed if needed by anything laying on my seats.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Okiegirl, have you shot that S&W in the dark? Beautiful pistol, but I wonder what those ports would do to your vision at night if you needed to use it in self defense. Could be nothing at all, but I'm curious what you thought if you did any night shooting with it.

Looks like just slots in the slide, I think it still has a full length barrel... I think..

Correct. First time I saw the gun, I had to look twice. They are for weight reduction and style, no function. It's a 4.25" barrel.

Never owned a Smith... now I want one.

Me either until I saw this.

loudpedal

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Parc Fermé
    EEK, I could have an accident while just admiring that beautiful bobbed 1911.

If I were a carjacker I would be proud to be shot by a pistol like that.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I guarantee it will NOT be retained in a serious collision. its a projectile. (a sad day since that will RUIN a 1911) I think only a retention holster like a Serpa level 3 screwed to the center console will fit that bill.

On a side note, pickup a twill sports ball cap (not a gun themed one, too obvious) to use as a cover to make it discreet. slide the bill down next to the holster and let the cap portion cover the weapon. Twill is better as its easier to get to lay over the gun.

I cant find the picture that suggested it, but it looks like somebody just stuffed their hat next to the seat. Cant tell there is a gun there.

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)

Hum...good question. Guess I have a new reason to go out and try it at night. Statistics say that any threat will be just a few feet away and a BG that close should be pretty easy to see even with muzzle flash. I will say my prior EDC was from the M&P line and it did have a bit of a flash from the top. My hope would be that the ports would allow the flash to be to the sides and have less affect on my vision at night but it is a theory I need to prove out.

Again I have to ask... Why do you guys fiddle with your guns in the car? Strap it on and leave it alone.

I used to be of this mindset and actually changed holsters to do just that, and if it works for you that is great. I have found that for me the draw was too slow and impeded by my seatbelt and more recently by a winter coat. I wasn't comfortable with the idea of a delayed draw. I drive downtown a lot now so I've begun to rethink things.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I've been looking for something that will allow me to keep my pistol comfortably close while traveling in the car. Been noodling this idea for a while and didn't see anything that really did what I wanted.

After some recent news stories, and some "in my garage" drawing practice for speed and tactics...keeping it on my hip while in the car just didn't fit my safety goals. I didn't want to stick it under the seat, in the side door, attach it under the steering column. I wanted it to be right by my right hand where I could easily draw, quickly and without telegraphing. A while back I had seen a sticky nylon type pocket carry holster; It didn't have any rigid surfaces on it and the exterior had a ruber type grip that held it in place.

I picked up one today to see if it retained my pistol when wedged between the seat and center console and could hold it tight while traveling. Works like a charm, quick easy draw, stays in place, doesn't scratch up the side of my center console, and keeps it right where I want it.

This one was the Remora concealment holster, low profile no-clip IWB holster, left handed (because it has a sweat guard that comes up a bit higher and helps protect my 1911 from scratches or contact with hard surfaces). While a lot of people have something already that works, I thought I would post this here for anyone still shopping for ideas. It was a very inexpensive fix to my problem. There are probably other brands with the same type of holster that would do the same job, I didn't care about the label (other than made in USA) just the function.

carholster1_zpsa7f2d37b.jpg

carholster2_zpsb09d62c1.jpg

So this is the new 1911?????

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Hum...good question. Guess I have a new reason to go out and try it at night. Statistics say that any threat will be just a few feet away and a BG that close should be pretty easy to see even with muzzle flash. I will say my prior EDC was from the M&P line and it did have a bit of a flash from the top. My hope would be that the ports would allow the flash to be to the sides and have less affect on my vision at night but it is a theory I need to prove out.

I used to be of this mindset and actually changed holsters to do just that, and if it works for you that is great. I have found that for me the draw was too slow and impeded by my seatbelt and more recently by a winter coat. I wasn't comfortable with the idea of a delayed draw. I drive downtown a lot now so I've begun to rethink things.

Do you carry a flashlight to help light up your sights?

Sounds like Appendix carry would solve your problems. I have found that by carrying in that method I can draw my gun quickly while seated, and wearing a heavy coat, while being buckled in my vehicle.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If I am rolling a great distance I am usually in my Van. There is a perfect place for my sidearm in the console. I carry the gun holstered but in my hand. I put it in the console where it remains until I reach destination. Holster/gun is slipped on my belt at that time. Gun remains holstered.

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    Looks like a good use of a Remora holster, OkieGirl. I have a couple of those that I don't use -- might have to experiment with them.

My solution to the accessibility issue while driving is simply having two guns. Multi-Holsters makes a surface-mounted Kydex holster that can be mounted anywhere. I chose to mount mine to the underside of my truck's dashboard, just below and to the right of the steering column. My PF-9 sits there quite securely, yet within easy reach of my shooting hand if it is needed. The gun and holster are black, and remain pretty inconspicuous to anyone looking around in the vehicle. It isn't visible to an officer during a traffic stop, either.

My EDC remains on my waist, and I don't have to worry about fumbling with my seat belt, coats or cover garments in an emergency.

It's just another option to consider.

IMG_4764_zps7fc9c70a.jpg

IMG_4763_zps9d286df0.jpg

Note: In case anyone notices, that particular holster was not designed to hold the Kel-Tec. It's made for a Sig P226. I had originally intended to remove my EDC while driving and keep it in that holster. For reasons previously mentioned by others, I abandoned that idea. This works until I can make a custom holster for the PF-9, but it just looks funny.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Andrews Custom Leather - Carjacker Crossdraw

I've been intrigued with this holster for awhile, but haven't bought one to try.

Similar to that idea, I've been thinking about putting my Blackhawk Serpa on my left when I'm driving, which will make it very accessible while I'm seated in the car. I just put it on that way, sitting at about 10 o'clock and it's very comfortable and handy as I'm sitting here typing. Pretty sure it'll work great while driving as well.

whippo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 17, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Sidebar: I am by no means a 1911 guy, never even owned one or really wanted to, but there is something down right sexy about a bobtail.

especially on the side of a lady :):

The only think you may want to consider is if someone approached you without you noticing, granted most think this couldn't happen but it can. If they were pointing a gun at you and noticed that sticking out the situation could escalate before you were able to draw. I don't want to get into conceal vs open please please please just a thought for the op.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom