Finally defeated my biggest carry phobia.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I noticed this when reading the owner's manual for my Kimber a few years ago:

5. Safe Carrying Condition: Never carry this pistol cocked, loaded and ready to fire as this practice could easily result in an unintentional discharge. Do not carry a loaded gun with a live round in the chamber while walking, running or crossing any obstacle, where there is any possibility of slipping or falling as this could lead to a
    possible unintentional discharge.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Lawyers, as in "let's make an official and impractical statement for no other reason than to CYA and stave off lawsuits simply because they carried the weapon as originally designed "

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    That is a good practice. I have found the safety disengaged on my Defender on more than one occasion. I still have not figured out how this occurred so I check it at least daily. It does take positive force to disengage it.
    congrats! I had the same issue a long time ago. I finally just did it and havent looked back since. I do catch myself making sure the safety is still on from time to time though.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Lawyers, as in "let's make an official and impractical statement for no other reason than to CYA and stave off lawsuits simply because they carried the weapon as originally designed "

I knew exactly what you meant. I remember when I read that when I first got that gun that it had to be CYA/lawyer proofing of their product. I carry mine the way JMB designed it but thought I'd throw it out there for conversation.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    That is a good practice. I have found the safety disengaged on my Defender on more than one occasion. I still have not figured out how this occurred so I check it at least daily. It does take positive force to disengage it.

I find this happens on my Kimber Ultra CDPii about once a week. I blame the large ambidextrous safety. I have given thought to taking a dremel to the right side and lowering it's profile a bit. I am sure it happens when I bump into something, fasten my seatbelt, etc. I don't worry about it much, there's still a grip safety, a firing pin block, and a lack of a finger on the trigger to prevent it from going bang.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Cocked and locked still feels weird to me. My bigger concern though it changing MOA. You have to practice a lot to ensure sweeping the safety off is habit.

seabassnfg

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2014
    Valpo
    congrats. i remember carrying without one in the tube. seems silly that i used to carry like that now that i think back. my XD doesnt have a traditional safety, so i was definitely hesitant carrying one in the chamber. now i dont even think twice about it.

Huzrjim

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Monroe County
    I have a custom made leather IWB for my Colt Commander that has a groove for the safety when it is in the locked position. Have never found it mysteriously moving. If you look closely you can see it in the photo below. An ambidextrous safety would obviously negate that feature. My new SIG P938 does have an ambidextrous safety, so I'm finding that I do check it from time to time when I choose to carry it.

2013-02-04_18-14-36_512.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I have a custom made leather IWB for my Colt Commander that has a groove for the safety when it is in the locked position. Have never found it mysteriously moving. If you look closely you can see it in the photo below. An ambidextrous safety would obviously negate that feature. My new SIG P938 does have an ambidextrous safety, so I'm finding that I do check it from time to time when I choose to carry it.

Yeah, I would like to get a 938 without an ambidextrous safety. The gun is small and I do feel the safety impacting my knuckle or hand on the right side when disengaging it... Not a problem on the 238 with a single side.

Jagunn

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 24, 2014
    Brownsburg
    I have a Range Officer 45, still not comfortable with carrying it locked and loaded. Something about the light trigger and hammer cocked kind of makes me hesitant still.

Top Bottom