• ...and so much more!
  • jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Weir changes mind about wearing fur - Olympics - Yahoo! Sports

I'm not sure why the title of the link says he changed his mind, I didn't see anything in the store that leads me to believe he is backing down from them.

Friends of Animals and PETA are sending letters to Johnny Weir because his costumes have fox fur on them. Some of the groups even contacted his costume designer. It doesn't seem that he's backing down though:

“I totally get the dirtiness of the fur industry and how terrible it is to animals. But it’s not something that’s the No. 1 priority in my life,” Weir said on Tuesday. “There are humans dying everyday. There are thousands if not millions of homeless people in New York City. Look at what just happened in Haiti.

“I tend to focus my energy, if there is a cause, on humans. While that may be callous and bad of me, it’s my choice.”

“Every skater is wearing skates made out of cow,” Weir said. “Maybe I’m wearing a cute little fox while everyone else is wearing cow, but we’re all still wearing animals.”

I'm glad to see this guy standing up to them and saying what needs to be said. I don't watch figure skating, but a big +1 to this guy. :yesway:

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Got to give him credit for pointing out the hypocrisy of the PETA types. If the animal is cute, it somehow has a lot more rights than animals that aren't so cute.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Apparently she did change her outfit, but has not changed her stance on fur.
    “I hope these activists can understand that my decision to change my costume is in no way a victory for them, but a draw,” Weir said in his statement. “I am not changing in order to appease them, but to protect my integrity and the integrity of the Olympic Games as well as my fellow competitors.

Top Bottom