• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    So theyve been flying over my house every day for over a month (IM 20 miles from Grissom).[. Its cool.

I wanna fly in one.. Im not military or former military, but I want the ultimate adrenaline of flying in one of these amazing machines (without enlisting that is)...

How do I make that happen?

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    They play with the Silos on every farm, or so I have been told. It is actually fascinating to go out in the yard and just sit and watch them and wonder what its like to just feel free like that...

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    I love watching them dogfight at night when they are throwing flares. I've seen them do it during the day before as well and those flares light up like little suns for a second or two.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    picture.php

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Your a taxpayer are you not? Go to the base and demand some stick time, you do pay their salary after all.

That's funny.
    Actually, when I was in the Navy, civilians could request tours of ships/subs. I don't know if they still do that, after 9/11.
    And I don't know about the airplanes.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    That's funny.
    Actually, when I was in the Navy, civilians could request tours of ships/subs. I don't know if they still do that, after 9/11.
    And I don't know about the airplanes.

I dont want a tour, I wanna see if our nation's finest men and women can make me shat myself and puke at the same time...

But really, I want to fly in one of these amazing machines just once.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I dont want a tour, I wanna see if our nation's finest men and women can make me shat myself and puke at the same time...

But really, I want to fly in one of these amazing machines just once.

You've never been on a sub doing "Angles and Dangles" have you?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    "Angles and Dangles"
    Sub dives/assends with extreme angle.
    You might have a 40 degree down angle with a 20 degree roll.
    The walls start to look like the floor.
    Make sure you're not near a hatch, it can crush you.
    Book want to break out of bookshelves. Hope the last guy put the bar across the shelves okay.

Then, level off, try 30 degree up angle.

You'll find out if everything is anchored.
    Anything not anchored, is considered a "missle hazzard" and/or a source of noise.
    Since subs are mostly detected by sound, noise is bad.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    So theyve been flying over my house every day for over a month (IM 20 miles from Grissom).[. Its cool.

I wanna fly in one.. Im not military or former military, but I want the ultimate adrenaline of flying in one of these amazing machines (without enlisting that is)...

How do I make that happen?

IMO the "ultimate adrenaline" is getting shot off of a carrier. When you clear the deck edge the plane actually descends slightly before gaining altitude. Between the cat shot and the dip the pucker factor is about 12 on a scale of 1 to 10. :cool: :yesway:

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    IMO the "ultimate adrenaline" is getting shot off of a carrier. When you clear the deck edge the plane actually descends slightly before gaining altitude. Between the cat shot and the dip the pucker factor is about 12 on a scale of 1 to 10. :cool: :yesway:

The pucker factor. Done a few things in life where the "Pucker Factor" has reached a 7.5 through 8.. BUt yeah that sounds intense. My B.I.L. maintains jets on the U.S.S. WASHINGTON, so he sees that stuff up close and personal. Hes told me about a bit of it when he was last home, but my imagination just spins out of control after that LOL!

purple72

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Well, even if you could get a flight, you won't be getting one in a 2 seater A-10. (YA-12) I think one is still on display somewhere, and they stuffed the other one in the ground. I spent 10 years working on A-10s for Uncle Sugar, and they really are impressive. Slow as hell, but you gotta love that GAU-8 30mm going off. Of course, they handle pretty good too.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Well, even if you could get a flight, you won't be getting one in a 2 seater A-10. (YA-12) I think one is still on display somewhere, and they stuffed the other one in the ground. I spent 10 years working on A-10s for Uncle Sugar, and they really are impressive. Slow as hell, but you gotta love that GAU-8 30mm going off. Of course, they handle pretty good too.

To be honest, Im not picky what fighter jet... As long as it hauls ass. :rockwoot:

Top Bottom